• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Templar Knight comeback?

Rebekah Scott

Camino Busybody
Time of past OR future Camino
Many, various, and continuing.
The news this morning says the Templar Knights are appealing to Pope Benedict to re-legitimize them after lo these 700 years. The stuff taken away from them back then would be worth 100,000 million Euros today, they say. I won´t try to translate it, as I´d make a fool of myself. But here is the text of the news story... No mention of Tomas of Manjarin!

Reb

Madrid, 3 ago (EFE).- La Asociación Orden Soberana del Temple de Cristo, que asegura ser la heredera de los míticos templarios, ha presentado una demanda contra el Papa, al que exigen la rehabilitación de la orden, suspendida por Clemente V en 1307, así como el reconocimiento de sus bienes incautados, valorados en 100.000 millones de euros de 2008.
(Publicidad)

La demanda, interpuesta en los Juzgados de Madrid contra el Santo Padre por vía de la Nunciatura Apostólica en España, solicita la revisión del proceso que terminó con la suspensión de la orden templaria hace ya 700 años.

La denuncia, formulada en contra de la persona física del Papa Benedicto XVI como sucesor de Clemente V, y no como jefe del Estado del Vaticano, deja claro que los actuales templarios no desean la restitución patrimonial de lo expoliado en el siglo XIV, que alcanzaría actualmente los 100.000 millones de euros.

"No pretendemos en ningún caso producir la quiebra económica de la Iglesia Romana", añade el escrito, "sino que el tribunal pueda hacerse una idea de la magnitud de la operación tramada contra nuestra Orden".

Según la Asociación Orden Soberana del Temple de Cristo, legalmente inscrita en el registro de asociaciones, los templarios tenían censados 9.000 propiedades en toda Europa, sin contar los derechos sobre tierras, pastos, molinos y derechos portuarios, incluidos barcos de transporte y de guerra.

En el siglo XIV los templarios, que contaban con más de 15.000 caballeros en toda Europa, tenían propiedades en España, Francia, Inglaterra, Portugal, Alemania, Italia, Bélgica, Luxemburgo y Polonia.

La demanda está pendiente de que se resuelva el recurso de apelación interpuesto por la orden del Temple ante la Audiencia Provincial de Madrid después de que no fuera admitida a trámite en primera instancia.

En su primer auto la jueza negó la admisión a trámite por falta de jurisdicción, al entender que no correspondía a su tribunal pronunciarse sobre hechos ocurridos hace 700 años "al ser materia propia de historiadores".

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
GOOGLE TRANSLATION

The association of the Sovereign Order of the Temple of Christ, which claims to be heir to the legendary Templars, has filed a lawsuit against the Pope,and require rehabilitation of the order which was suspended by Pope Clement V in 1307, as well as recognition of their confiscated property, valued at 100,000 million euros in 2008.

The lawsuit, filed in the Courts of Madrid against the Holy Father through the Apostolic Nunciature in Spain, claiming the revision process that ended with the suspension of the Templar order 700 years ago.

The complaint, made against the person of Pope Benedict XVI, as successor to Pope Clement V, and not as head of the Vatican State, makes it clear that current Templars do not want restitution of the property plundered in the fourteenth century, which reached currently 100,000 million.

"We're not trying in any way to procure the economic bankruptcy of the Roman Church," the letter adds, "but the court can get an idea of the magnitude of the tranche operation against our Order."

According to the association Sovereign Order of the Temple of Christ, legally registered partnerships, the Templars had registered 9,000 properties across Europe, not counting rights over land, pastures, mills and port charges, including transport ships and war.

In the fourteenth century the Templars, which had more than 15,000 knights throughout Europe, had properties in Spain, France, England, Portugal, Germany, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg and Poland.

Demand is awaiting the resolution of the appeal lodged by the order of the Temple before the Provincial Court of Madrid after they were not properly presented in the first instance.

In its first order the judge denied the admissibility for lack of jurisdiction, to understand that it was not for his court to rule on events that occurred 700 years ago "to be subject itself to historians."

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back