• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ten years ago today

Gailsie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances Fall '09 ;
I can't believe it has been 10 years since I put my first food forward in Roncesvalles on the Camino Frances. I had just turned 60, retired from a desk job, with very little hiking experience and set off on the most profound journey of my life. I wondered many times in the first few days if I could complete the journey and why I had done this to myself. But I needed to get my self-esteem back and deal with one of my younger sister's death from breast cancer. So onward I trudged, some days not walking very far and often needing a hotel at the end of the day because I needed the peace and quiet. I took the bus a couple of times and the train once when needed but I felt like I had conquered the world when I got to Santiago. The camino has given me a new lease on life and made a huge impact on me personally. Many thanks to those who post on this forum, I read it before leaving and thankfully took many hints from what pilgrims had written. I still read the forum everyday to remind myself of the journey and I love to see photos of places that I have been.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I retired at the end of 2014. My wife and I walked the Camino Frances in Sept-Oct 2017 and despite my wife's severe knee pain, we made it to Santiago. It was a nice life transition into retirement and a wonderful, fulfilling experience for both of us. We traded in her Vasque hard boots for Soloman trail running shoes and walked it again in 2017 with my brother and his wife. We fly out of Indianapolis one week from today for our third CF. No one warned us how addicting the camino can become ! Bob

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can't believe it has been 10 years since I put my first food forward in Roncesvalles on the Camino Frances. I had just turned 60, retired from a desk job, with very little hiking experience and set off on the most profound journey of my life. I wondered many times in the first few days if I could complete the journey and why I had done this to myself. But I needed to get my self-esteem back and deal with one of my younger sister's death from breast cancer. So onward I trudged, some days not walking very far and often needing a hotel at the end of the day because I needed the peace and quiet. I took the bus a couple of times and the train once when needed but I felt like I had conquered the world when I got to Santiago. The camino has given me a new lease on life and made a huge impact on me personally. Many thanks to those who post on this forum, I read it before leaving and thankfully took many hints from what pilgrims had written. I still read the forum everyday to remind myself of the journey and I love to see photos of places that I have been.
That's a beautiful post Gailsie For me it has only been just over a year, but I have a similar feeling. I recently got back home (in Madrid) after a stint working as a volunteer at an albergue on the CF in Castrojeriz. Even staying in one place on the Camino it's amazing how it still works its magic on you in some unexpected ways.

Thanks for posting this, Gailsie. You persevered through a lot. I tend to get caught up in my own deadlines and expectations -- I'm wondering how I would have handled the challenges you faced. My first Camino was almost picture-perfect. I sailed through it on my timelines, but I think I missed the gifts that challenges can bring.

On my second I did face challenges -- physical, mental, spiritual. And I feel like I didn't handle them well. But what a learning experience that is still growing in me!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.