• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tenderly Over The Mountain....…Part 2. Orisson to Roncesvalles

gerardcarey

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CFx2, CPx1
It’s all go in the dorm when I open my eyes at Orisson.
Folks dressing and busily packing. Setting a good example for me. My watch says 7am.
By 7.30 I’m downstairs eating breakfast.
Not very substantial, French breakfasts. Coffee with bread & jam.
After breakfast the girls at Orisson deliver my takeaway lunch. An apple and a bread roll filled with meat and cheese. That’s not enough to sustain me for a 6 or 7 hours walk.
Lucky I’ve got some leftover shrink-wrapped cake/bun things and a banana from yesterday. I’ll have to remember to continually keep a stock of tucker in my pack, for occasions when I get caught out like this, or for a picnic lunch.
I filled my water bottles, swung my pack on and headed off up the road.
It’s 8am. Slowly now Gerard. Quote the mantra.
“Head up! Shoulders back! Open your chest! Slow down! This is not a race!”
The gentle steady walking rhythm returned.
As I proceed I see the narrow road reaching upwards, way ahead, is peppered with earlier leavers. Some had left even before I woke. Before breakfast even!
It didn't seem to take long until I was thru the tree line and out onto those wide green treeless slopes across which are scattered the wild horses and black-faced sheep.
I think it was the first time I entered the zone.
The mind wanders. A strange conversation from months ago came to mind.
“You have considered the fact that you may perhaps be re-converted to Christianity on this pilgrimage trail?” my catholic friend had enquired. "Like get unlapsed?"
“How do you figure that?” I asked in reply.
“Happened to St Paul didn't it,” he said, “all alone on the road to Damascus. Bolts of lightning, fell off his horse, booming voice from the clouds, made him come to his senses quick smart didn't it? Could happen to you.”
That’s the thing about Catholics of my generation. Bit loose with their biblical facts.
Not surprising. Nobody I knew ever read the bible. We had a priest in a pulpit who had a direct clerical link to the Pope in Rome who was infallible in matters of faith and morals.
It was like, “don’t worry too much about that bible, we've got all that sorted.
All you have to do is what we tell you and you can’t go wrong.”
I laughingly think to keep a weather eye out for bolts of lightning. I mean if it was going to happen anywhere this was a likely spot right?

A toot from the rear makes me jump, brings me back to the present. Approaching is a shepherd in a little yellow car with his dogs hanging out the windows excitedly sniffing the air. The dogs give me a welcoming woof as they approach. I move further to the side. “Bon Camino,” the shepherd calls as he passes, then tootles away, up and over the next hill.

As forecast it was a nice fine day with a chilly wind. I stopped for 2nd breakfast and to admire the view at the Virgin’s statue. I left my pack and wandered about the hillsides for a while.
Onwards and upwards, stopping next at the coffee van for a strong sweet black, a boiled egg, and a chance to chat with fellow pilgrims, while sheltering from the now stiff wind behind the van. Lots of pilgrims arriving now, and in between customers the van man is tallying up the day’s numbers of each nationality on the side of his van with a felt pen.
Roland’s fountain is further on, the wind has dissipated now. Perhaps we are over the top.
On arrival, it’s time for a sit down and more food. I drink a toast from the fountain to Roland and check the kindle to see how the battle is going.

Then came the Saracen Valdabrun,
Of whom King Marsil was foster-son.
Four hundred galleys he owned at sea,
And of all the mariners lord was he.
Jerusalem erst he had falsely won,
Profaned the temple of Solomon,
Slaying the patriach at the fount.
Gramimond named he the steed he rode,
Swifter than ever was falcon’s flight;
Well did he prick with the sharp spurs bright,
To strike Duke Samson, the fearless knight.
Buckler and cuirass at once he rent,
And his pennon’s flaps through his body sent;
Dead he cast him, with levelled spear.
“Strike, ye heathens; their doom is near.”
The Franks cry woe for their cavalier.

Roland and his mates are not doing so good. The battle is turning.

I’m checking the cattle-stop adjacent to Roland’s fountain which apparently is the France/Spain border when up comes a bloke with an enormous pack. Must have been 15+ kilos and he wasn’t using his waist belt. Every 10 or so steps he pauses, bends forward and shuffles the pack up his back.
“G’day mate,” he said, ”the names Roger.” He’d be fifty-ish I guess.
“Hi Roger, Gerard.” We shake. “Bit of a tough pull up the hill?”
“Yes,” he said, “don’t know much about this hiking business. Was on the couch at home in Sydney two weeks ago when I read about this Camino thing. Phoned and bought my airline tickets on the spot, got my son’s old army pack out of the shed and here I am.”
I was well impressed.
“Well done!” I said, “but you do look somewhat oversupplied.”
Aussies usually don’t mind you getting straight to the point.
“Probably right,” he said, “People have been looking at me rather strangely.”
We discussed then repositioned his gear, and talked over the options of either dumping unnecessary stuff or posting it forward. I showed him how to set the pack weight on his hips, lock it in place with the waist belt, and then cinch it in to his shoulders.

A little further on and it’s not far apparently to where a chapel stood. A solitary monk tolled a bell at night to guide pilgrims thru the dark and the snow and the storms to safety.
As I walked along I scanned the slopes. I thought of the wolf packs that once roamed these hills, and of the lost pilgrim in the snow, as the pack closed in, and blood on the snow.

Just a short distance now to where the Way splits. The main path goes left, down thru a forest to Roncesvalles. An alternative route goes off to the right. It’s the way to go if it’s wet as the steepish forest path can be slippery and dangerous.
You don’t want to even chance an injury this early on your Camino.

But it’s a fine day so I’m heading down thru the forest into the ‘Valley of Thorns’ when the muscles controlling my two tin hips seize up.
I've plonked myself down to rest awhile when down the steepish forest path come two middle aged pilgrim ladies who stop to see if I’m ok. I explain my problem but tell them that after a short break I should be fine. However they absolutely insist on taking an arm each and frogmarching me the rest of the way down into Roncesvalles. I suspected, from both their manner and speech, that they were nuns, and confirmed this after they happily informed me that in payment I must accompany them to the pilgrim Mass that night. Of course I had to agree, but by the time we got accommodation sorted in the big new albergue, then showered and got the laundry done it was 6pm. Mass was at seven so dinner would have to wait.
“I don’t know about you gals,” I said, “but I have an hour to spare and a divil of a thirst. I’m off for a G&T and a beer chaser”.
“We’re coming too!” was the cheerful reply. We found a nice little bar where we consumed two beers each. My G&T came in a glass swimming pool and must have had 8 or 10 good measures of gin in it. Like the Guinness worker who fell into the vat, you could happily drown in it, although, I am reliably informed, he did climb out three times for a jimmy riddle.
The G&T was too big for me so I had to share it with the gals.
Mass was great, full house. Again I got frogmarched, up for the pilgrims blessing this time.
But, I’ve gotta tell you, I have never heard nuns sing so loudly or enthusiastically as I did that night.
May their God bless them.
Never saw them again.

On reviewing the day I recalled that I’d walked 17ish ks over the mountain from Orisson and sure I was tired. But that must equate to 20+ ks of a normal days walking.
So that’s just fine. Appears I'm fit enough to walk this Camino.
I was glad I had split the crossing of the Pyrenees into two stages. It enabled me to enjoy it more. And after all, isn't that what I’d come for?

As I lay in my bunk that 2nd night I realised that what lay ahead on the Camino Frances no longer held any fears for me. I was now pretty certain that I could handle whatever lay in store for me on the way to Santiago.
For the first time I could regard myself as a proper pilgrim.

Regards
Gerard

Do you remember an Inn,
Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
And the tedding and the spreading
Of the straw for a bedding,
And the fleas that tease in the High Pyrenees,
And the wine that tasted of tar?
And the cheers and the jeers of the young muleteers
(Under the vine of the dark verandah)?
Do you remember an Inn, Miranda,
Do you remember an Inn?
Who hadn't got a penny,
And who weren't paying any,
And the hammer at the doors and the Din?
And the Hip! Hop! Hap!
Of the clap
Of the hands to the twirl and the swirl
Of the girl gone chancing,
Glancing,
Dancing,
Backing and advancing,
Snapping of a clapper to the spin
Out and in --
And the Ting, Tong, Tang, of the Guitar.
Do you remember an Inn,
Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
Never more;
Miranda,
Never more.
Only the high peaks hoar:
And Aragon a torrent at the door.
No sound
In the walls of the Halls where falls
The tread
Of the feet of the dead to the ground
No sound:
But the boom
Of the far Waterfall like Doom.

TARANTELLA ~ Hilaire Belloc

The inn in the High Pyrenees referred to in the poem is the inn at Canfranc, a small mountain village in the valley of the River Aragon, before Jacca on the Camino Aragones. This is where Belloc met Miranda Mackintosh in 1909.
20 years later, in 1929, he completed the poem and gave it to her as a present.
And to you and me.

Many thanks to our forum member annakappa who reminded me of the poem.

Back to Part 1 of "Tenderly Over the Mountain".......St Jean to Orisson.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ok ... I'm sold . I want a copy of the book when it's finished .. actually make that 10 copies for friends. Nice writing , very nice

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Wish I had split the walk at Orisson! I was exhausted by the time I staggered into Roncesvalles!

What great writing. Trouble is, you've sewn a seed re the bit I missed 'cos I'm a cowardy custard.
Annie

Sure i could feel my leg mussels cramping up on that hike and the smell of the coffee on the hill top as i lay in the bed reading, Please dont take so long for the next tit bit as i leave in August :D for my own camino. and fear i wont get the whole story before go.
Great Stuff.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Gerard,
Thank you, lovely lovely writing - I am impatient to read more.

A small point of correction about Miranda in Belloc's Tarantella it was not Miranda Mackintosh:

"It has been suggested in various web sites that I, Miranda Mackintosh, am the original Miranda to whom Hillaire Belloc refers in his poem 'Tarantella'. This is not true. Hillaire Belloc was a life long friend of my father, Hugh Mackintosh, and our family. In 1929, when I was two years old, he wrote it out on vellum and gave it to me as a present. In an accompanying letter to my father he explained that the poem had evolved over twenty years and that the poem he had given me was not the final version, nor indeed the one that he preferred, but that it had the merit of being the original one. It has been suggested by a distinguished historian that the Miranda referred to could have been the mayor of a small Spanish town with whom Belloc often went hunting.

Miranda Mackintosh"

That mayor was, in fact, the Duke of Miranda.

Gerard,
A small point of correction about Miranda in Belloc's Tarantella it was not Miranda Mackintosh:
Thanks bystander, quite right. A little more google investigation reveals it appears to have been written as a song.
One must have admiration for Belloc's courage in the performance!
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Awesome account Gerard of that 2nd day. We also stayed in Orrison first night - it was lovely to wake in the Pyrenees and continue on next morning. Like 'LiseT' I walked with you whilst reading that - so lovely to be taken back there. Thank you for that ....
Cheers - Sue

It’s all go in the dorm when I open my eyes at Refuge Orisson.
Folks dressing and busily packing. Setting a good example for me. My watch says 7am.
By 7.30 I’m downstairs eating breakfast.
Not very substantial, French breakfasts. Coffee with bread & jam.
After breakfast the girls at Orisson deliver my takeaway lunch. An apple and a bread roll filled with meat and cheese. That’s not enough to sustain me for a 6 or 7 hours walk.
Lucky I’ve got some leftover shrink-wrapped cake/bun things and a banana from yesterday. I’ll have to remember to continually keep a stock of tucker in my pack, for occasions when I get caught out like this, or for a picnic lunch.
I filled my water bottles, swung my pack on and headed off up the road.
It’s 8am. Slowly now Gerard. Quote the mantra.
“Head up! Shoulders back! Open your chest! Slow down! This is not a race!”
The gentle steady walking rhythm returned.
As I proceed I see the narrow road reaching upwards, way ahead, is peppered with earlier leavers. Some had left even before I woke. Before breakfast even!
It didn't seem to take long until I was thru the tree line and out onto those wide green treeless slopes across which are scattered the wild horses and black-faced sheep.
It think it was the first time I entered the zone.
The mind wanders. A strange conversation from months ago came to mind.
“You have considered the fact that you may perhaps be converted to Christianity on this pilgrimage trail?” my catholic friend had enquired.
“How do you figure that?” I asked in reply.
“Happened to St Paul didn't it,” he said, “all alone on the road to Damascus. Bolts of lightning, fell off his horse, booming voice from the clouds, made him come to his senses quick smart didn't it? Could happen to you.”
That’s the thing about Catholics of my generation. Bit loose with their biblical facts.
Not surprising. Nobody I knew ever read the bible. We had a priest in a pulpit who had an direct clerical link to the Pope in Rome who was infallible in matters of faith and morals.
It was like, “don’t worry too much about that bible, we've got all that sorted.
All you have to do is what we tell you and you can’t go wrong.”
I laughingly think to keep a weather eye out for bolts of lightning. I mean if it was going to happen anywhere this was a likely spot right?
A toot from the rear makes me jump, brings me back to the present. Approaching is a shepherd in a little yellow car with his dogs hanging out the windows sniffing the air. I move further to the side. “Bon Camino,” he calls as he passes, then tootles over the next hill.

As forecast it was a nice fine day with a chilly wind. I stopped for 2nd breakfast and to admire the view at the Virgin’s statue. I left my pack and wandered about the hillsides for a while.
Onwards and upwards, stopping next at the coffee van for a strong sweet black, a boiled egg, and a chance to chat with fellow pilgrims, while sheltering from the now very stiff wind behind the van. Lots of pilgrims arriving now, and in between customers the van man is tallying up the day’s numbers of each nationality on the side of his van with a felt pen.
Roland’s fountain is further on, the wind has dissipated now we are over the top.
On arrival, it’s time for a sit down and more food. I drink a toast from the fountain to Roland and check the kindle to see how the battle is going.

Then came the Saracen Valdabrun,
Of whom King Marsil was foster-son.
Four hundred galleys he owned at sea,
And of all the mariners lord was he.
Jerusalem erst he had falsely won,
Profaned the temple of Solomon,
Slaying the patriach at the fount.
Gramimond named he the steed he rode,
Swifter than ever was falcon’s flight;
Well did he prick with the sharp spurs bright,
To strike Duke Samson, the fearless knight.
Buckler and cuirass at once he rent,
And his pennon’s flaps through his body sent;
Dead he cast him, with levelled spear.
“Strike, ye heathens; their doom is near.”
The Franks cry woe for their cavalier.

Roland and his mates are not doing so good. The battle is turning.

I’m checking the cattle-stop adjacent to Roland’s fountain which apparently is the France/Spain border when up comes a bloke with an enormous pack. Must have been 15+ kilos and he wasn’t using his waist belt. Every 10 or so steps he pauses, bends forward and shuffles it up on his back.
“G’day mate,” he said, ”the names Roger.” He’d be fortyish I guess.
“Hi Roger, Gerard.” We shake. “You’re well supplied, bit of a tough pull up the hill?”
“Yes,” he said, “don’t know much about this hiking business. Was on the couch at home in Sydney two weeks ago and I read about this Camino thing. Phoned and bought my airline tickets on the spot, got my son’s old army pack out of the shed and here I am.”
“Well done!” I said, “but you do look somewhat oversupplied.”
Aussies usually don’t mind you getting straight to the point.
“Probably right,” he said, “People have been looking at me rather strangely.”
We discussed then repositioned his gear, and talked over the options of either dumping unnecessary stuff or posting it forward. I showed him how to set the pack weight on his hips, lock it in place with the waist belt, and then cinch it in to his shoulders.

A little further on and it’s not far apparently to where a chapel stood. A solitary monk tolled a bell at night to guide pilgrims thru the dark and snow and storms to safety.
As I walked along I thought of the wolf packs that roamed these hills, and of the lost pilgrim in the snow as the pack closed in, and blood on the snow.

Just a short distance now to where the Way splits. The main path goes down thru a forest to Roncesvalles. An alternative route goes off to the right. It’s the way to go if it’s wet as the steepish forest path can be slippery and dangerous.
You don’t want to even chance an injury this early on your Camino Frances.

It’s a fine day so I’m heading down thru the forest into the ‘Valley of Thorns’ when the muscles controlling my two tin hips seize up.
I've plonked myself down to rest awhile when down the steepish forest path come two middle aged pilgrim ladies who stop to see if I’m ok. I explain my problem but tell them that after a short break I should be fine. However they absolutely insist on taking an arm each and frogmarching me the rest of the way down into Roncesvalles. I suspected from their manner that they were nuns and confirmed this after they happily informed me that in payment I must accompany then to the pilgrim Mass that night. Of course I had to agree, but by the time we got accommodation sorted in the big new albergue, then showered and got the laundry done it was 6pm. Mass was at seven so dinner would have to wait.
“I don’t know about you gals,” I said, “but I have a divil of a thirst. I’m off for a G&T and a beer chaser”.
“We’re coming too!” was the cheerful reply. We found a nice little bar where we consumed two beers each. My G&T came in a glass swimming pool and must have had 8 or 10 good measures of gin in it. Like the Guinness worker who fell into the vat, you could happily drown in it. (although he got out three times for a jimmy riddle)
It was too big for me so I had to share it with the gals.
Mass was great, full house. I got frogmarched up for the pilgrims blessing.
But, I’ve gotta tell you, I have never heard nuns sing so loudly or enthusiastically as I did that night.
May their God bless them.
Never saw them again.

On reviewing the day I recalled that I’d walked 18-19ks over the mountain from Orisson and sure I was tired. But that must equate to 20+ ks of a normal days walking.
So that’s just fine.
I was glad I had split the crossing of the Pyrenees into two stages. It enabled me to enjoy it more. And after all, isn't that what I’d come for?

As I lay in my bunk that 2nd night I realised that what lay ahead on the Camino Frances no longer held any fears for me. I knew for certain that I now could handle whatever lay in store for me on the way to Santiago.
For the first time I could regard myself as a proper pilgrim.

Regds
Gerard

Do you remember an Inn,
Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
And the tedding and the spreading
Of the straw for a bedding,
And the fleas that tease in the High Pyrenees,
And the wine that tasted of tar?
(Under the vine of the dark verandah)?
Do you remember an Inn, Miranda,
Do you remember an Inn?
Who hadn't got a penny,
And who weren't paying any,
And the hammer at the doors and the Din?
And the Hip! Hop! Hap!
Of the clap
Of the hands to the twirl and the swirl
Of the girl gone chancing,
Glancing,
Dancing,
Backing and advancing,
Snapping of a clapper to the spin
Out and in --
And the Ting, Tong, Tang, of the Guitar.
Do you remember an Inn,
Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
Never more;
Miranda,
Never more.
Only the high peaks hoar:
And Aragon a torrent at the door.
No sound
In the walls of the Halls where falls
The tread
Of the feet of the dead to the ground
No sound:
But the boom
Of the far Waterfall like Doom.

TARANTELLA ~ Hilaire Belloc

The inn in the High Pyrenees referred to in the poem is the inn at Canfranc, a small mountain village in the valley of the River Aragon, before Jacca on the Camino Aragones. This is where Belloc met Miranda Mackintosh in 1909.
20 years later, in 1929, he wrote the poem and gave it to her as a present.
And to you and me.
Tks to our member annakappa who reminded me of the poem.
Awesome account Gerard of that 2nd day. We also stayed in Orrison first night - it was lovely to wake in the Pyrenees and continue on next morning. Like 'LiseT' I walked with you whilst reading that - so lovely to be taken back there. Thank you for that ....
Cheers - Sue

Thank you Gerard, for that wonderful piece of writing. You had me with you every “frog step” of the way and smiling and laughing out loud at times. I was sorry to read you didn’t see those two wonderful nuns again. They sound like they were a hoot! My own walk across the Pyrenees was far different than yours..low clouds, pouring rain and wind. I took the steep knees shredding descent and it was slippery. I managed to stay upright and out of the mud. I was exhausted, but happy when I reached Roncesvalles. Looking forward with great anticipation and some trepidation to doing it again in May. This time with the same beautiful weather as you, I hope. I too am looking forward to more accounts of your adventure, either here or in a book (please?)
Buen Camino, Patty

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Gerard, thanks for sharing with us. Like DeadFred, I want a copy (or three) of your book when it comes out.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Gerard,
Where can I read part 1 of your camino (i.e. SJDPP to Orisson) and where can I expect to find the rest of your journal?
Thank you

Gerard,
Where can I read part 1 of your camino (i.e. SJDPP to Orisson) and where can I expect to find the rest of your journal?
Thank you
I think if you right click on my avatar (even though there is no image), select 'Open in new tab', then click on 'Postings you'll be able to access all my postings.
If you just want to see 'Threads' I have created (like this story) go to the bottom of the page and click on "Find all threads by gerardcarey".
You could also do the tedious thing by going to 'Camino Frances' section of the forum and scrolling back thru previous posts.
Regds
Gerard

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You don't need a right click. Click Gerard's name or avatar, then Profile Page, then Posts. (FYI, click-hold sometimes works like a right-click on an ipad, to bring up the menu where you can choose to open a new tab, for instance).

EDIT Forgot to say how much I, too, enjoy your posts,, Gerard.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great piece Gerard, just got around to reading it, have had little or no internet connection since before Christmas due to storms etc. and its still not perfect but good enough to get my forum fix. :)

Great piece Gerard, just got around to reading it, have had little or no internet connection since before Christmas due to storms etc. and its still not perfect but good enough to get my forum fix. :)
Thanks Pat. Hope all getting back to normal. Over 40C here the other day.
Wish things would get back to normal here too!
Happy New Year to you
Regds
Gerard

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back