• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tendonitis and last minute route change

ShaunKevin

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés (2015)
Portuguese (2018)
Well, life, can indeed throw lemons. I’m aged 39 and 10 months, never had foot issues in my life and successfully walked SJPP to SdC in 2015. I fly out tomorrow from Melb to Lisbon planning another Camino.

10 days ago I had chronic foot/calf pain and have been diagnosed with tendonitis. Blimey. It’s not great and can hobble but just don’t think there is any way I could walk more than a 10km day. And yes I’m resting it no end.

Am considering busing it from Lisbon to Pamplona, somehow, and walking short stages on Frances - more infrastructure, more towns, more chances of shorter days and much more rest. Slightly devastated as I’ve had the CP planned for 12 months.

Sigh - don’t really have a question. I’m hoping the summer heat will improve things from the depths of Melbourne, Australia winter but also 24 hours on a plane isn’t going to help. The thought of long stages in the direct sun with a dodgy foot and ankle isn’t appealing and actually dangerous.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Shaun! Sorry to hear about what happened.
Why dont you keep your CP plan, but starting in Porto instead? Enjoy Lisbon, train to Porto, enjoy the city and go slowly from there, avoinding the heat as possible walking in the evening, maybe, and staying in little inns)?

If you live in Melbourne you probably enjoy good food - and Portugal has plenty.
But whatever you decide, Buen Camino!

Thanks for your reply - and you know what - I had the exact thought over lunch. It’s a grand idea and a train to Porto is 24 Euros or something and plenty of alburgues there. It’s the plan - from the web i can gather i could try some very short days of 5 kms out of Porto and who knows .... cheers for the reply!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
So sorry to hear of the tendinitis. I developed debilitating tendinitis three weeks into the Francés and I was devastated, as having to quit would have thrown a real monkey wrench into my life, as it was at that time. A five-day rest didn't do much good, but then a Camino angel passed along to me some of her prescription Voltarin topical cream and it worked a charm. Can you give Voltarin a try?
Good luck.

Yeah I’ve used three tubes in the last week alone! Thank god that stuff is over the counter in Australia. Glad it worked out for you. I’m hoping some summer heat in my bones and joints will work wonders. Fingers crossed.

Hi Shaun, I don't think you should choose the CF from Pamplona. It is really hard to start there on lots of stones -might be even dangerous with your feet problem. It is also very hot.

1533452311767.jpeg
Voltarin is a good idea, combined with the help of the Camino Angel, it might help you to fulfill your plan.

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was also stricken by tendinitis after 28 days and ~680 km on the Camino del Norte. I probably could have continued if I had taken a couple of rest days immediately when I began to feel pain, but instead I stupidly walked 4 more days, until I could only hobble.
So now I'm sitting in Praza Cervantes in Santiago watching the pilgrims enter.
I'm disappointed, but not terribly so, as I've already completed two Caminos from SJPDP to Finisterre.
I'll rest here for a couple more days, then either return to Vilalba to finish the Norte, walk to Finisterre or go relax on a beach, depending on how my leg feels.
I've got a flight to London from Santiago on the 13th, which I've never visited before, so I've still got a week in Spain. I'm open to suggestions on a destination!

I was also stricken by tendinitis after 28 days and ~680 km on the Camino del Norte. I probably could have continued if I had taken a couple of rest days immediately when I began to feel pain, but instead I stupidly walked 4 more days, until I could only hobble.
So now I'm sitting in Praza Cervantes in Santiago watching the pilgrims enter.
I'm disappointed, but not terribly so, as I've already completed two Caminos from SJPDP to Finisterre.
I'll rest here for a couple more days, then either return to Vilalba to finish the Norte, walk to Finisterre or go relax on a beach, depending on how my leg feels.
I've got a flight to London from Santiago on the 13th, which I've never visited before, so I've still got a week in Spain. I'm open to suggestions on a destination!
Sorry to hear about the injury - I had tendonitis from Navarette through to SdC (wasn't diagnosed properly until Triacastella!) - you might want to opt for a shady beach. Because I'd overdone things mine took over 3 weeks after I got home to totally clear (mind you I was active on construction sites in those days). Rest is SO important.
Was in London yesterday visiting my daughter. 30 degrees, teeming with tourists and the Tube (subway) was hell. Forecast for when you arrive is a much healthier mid 20s and possibly . . . rain showers!
Have a nice stay ;)

Well, life, can indeed throw lemons. I’m aged 39 and 10 months, never had foot issues in my life and successfully walked SJPP to SdC in 2015. I fly out tomorrow from Melb to Lisbon planning another Camino.

10 days ago I had chronic foot/calf pain and have been diagnosed with tendonitis. Blimey. It’s not great and can hobble but just don’t think there is any way I could walk more than a 10km day. And yes I’m resting it no end.

Am considering busing it from Lisbon to Pamplona, somehow, and walking short stages on Frances - more infrastructure, more towns, more chances of shorter days and much more rest. Slightly devastated as I’ve had the CP planned for 12 months.

Sigh - don’t really have a question. I’m hoping the summer heat will improve things from the depths of Melbourne, Australia winter but also 24 hours on a plane isn’t going to help. The thought of long stages in the direct sun with a dodgy foot and ankle isn’t appealing and actually dangerous.
Sorry to hear that mind you 24hrs "resting" your ankle on a plane might not be a bad idea.
I second what @Anamya says about Porto. If you are going to do the coastal route your first few days out of Porto are along the beachfront on wooden boardwalks but you'll have to contend with Portuguese granite block paving too - not good for the legs. Weather forecast for Porto is 43degs today 42 tomorrow then dropping into the mid 30s although northwest winds up to 17kph will moderate this.
Mind you what @Csutak says applies too - the CF is hillier. I had tendonitis from Navarette all the way to SdC (and beyond). It wasn't too bad (initially) going UP steep slopes but the coming down got worse and worse. Zig-zagging helped as did Ibuprofen and Voltarol (tends to be called Voltaren in mainland Europe) - steer clear of oral Diclofenac though - can lead to upset stomachs (Diclofenac is the active ingredient in Voltaren).
Above all be a tortoise not a hare!
Good luck.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been there with the tendonitis, which really does require plenty of rest. Of course I chose to ignore this very good advice while on Camino! (Ouch). Acupuncture and strapping plasters helped a lot.
Porto, in addition to being a fine city to visit, has a metro system that stretches out into surrounding towns, so you could make some forays out on the coastal and inland Caminos and see how it goes.

Hola / G'day mate, this really is a bummer. But it may be a blessing in disguise (if you have the appropriate level of travel insurance??!!). If you have been looking at the Iberian Penisular weather you will see that most of Spain and even parts of Portugal have been experiencing temps up to 45/47 C (115F) which is definitely not the weather you want to be walking any distance let alone the 15-25 km daily of the Camino. If you really, really, do have to go then there are definitely sections of the Frances that are not recommended. Sorry this is not the news you may have been seeking. Good luck!!

Hola / G'day mate, this really is a bummer. But it may be a blessing in disguise (if you have the appropriate level of travel insurance??!!). If you have been looking at the Iberian Penisular weather you will see that most of Spain and even parts of Portugal have been experiencing temps up to 45/47 C (115F) which is definitely not the weather you want to be walking any distance let alone the 15-25 km daily of the Camino. If you really, really, do have to go then there are definitely sections of the Frances that are not recommended. Sorry this is not the news you may have been seeking. Good luck!!

Hola!

Yes the heatwave looks dreadful, especially for those fighting fires. It’s 27 from Tuesday the mid 20s from Wednesday , so that seems lovely ( compared to 13 and rain in Melbourne!).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have never had tendonitis, so not sure if carrying your pack is an issue. I was looking into the CP recently and found there is bag transfer if you need it. Good luck and I hope the tendonitis clears up quickly.

Winter 2014, I sprained my ankle on downside of Alto de Perdon. After about two weeks of walking and busing I started walking 10 t0 12 kms days until Santiago. Santiago to Fisterra I was fine and returned to normal stages. And, that was during winter with little infrastructure.

As you know the CF will support stopping often as you need especially during high sesson.

Buen camino.

I fly out tomorrow from Melb to Lisbon planning another Camino.

Could you not postpone your trip for a month? Been there done that with tendonitis. Tried to keep walking, just made it worse. Rested for 3 days and started walking again. Just as bad as before. Rested for 2 weeks and started walking again. No chance. Gave up. Went home and it finally healed after a month of not walking anywhere.
Good luck and I hope it heals up soon.
Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why not just switch to the shorter version of the Portuguese route. The stages aren't that long and the terrain is very similar to Galicia with more cover, etc. And since you've obviously allocated enough time to walk from Lisbon, you can easily take a few rest days along the way to give your tendonitis a break.

Shaun, hope you are doing a good trip. You are right, it is possible to do short 5-10km days along Cp. Also, contact TuiTras if you want to have your pack carried - would ease weight on the ankle. They deliver anywhere between Porto and Santiago.

Thanks for your reply - and you know what - I had the exact thought over lunch. It’s a grand idea and a train to Porto is 24 Euros or something and plenty of alburgues there. It’s the plan - from the web i can gather i could try some very short days of 5 kms out of Porto and who knows .... cheers for the reply!
Hi Shaun
I have walked both the central and seaside routes out of Porto. Note the seaside is not the coastal route.
The seaside is flatter and has cooling sea breezes. I found it more enjoyable walking often on boardwalks than the central one without all the hills and cobblestone paths that really work the ankles. There is also a steep ascent and descent on very rough track.
By the time you join the central route hopefully the tendons will be better. The downside of continuous walking if the tendons don’t settle down is permanent damage!!
Hope this helps.
Happymark

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back