• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tendonitis: bane of pilgrims

Kitsambler

Jakobsweg Junkie
Time of past OR future Camino
SJPP 2023
While I didn't need or seek medical attention on last year's walk, there were many days with considerable pain or discomfort. Here are some resources I found helpful (from http://www.injuredrunner.com):

Plantar fasciitis is pain in the arch or just in front of the heel of the foot.
http://injuredrunner.com/injury_region/foot/foot_plantars.htm
http://injuredrunner.com/stretches/stretch_plantar_fascia.htm
http://injuredrunner.com/stretches/stretch_bentKneeCalf.htm
http://injuredrunner.com/stretches/stretch_nonBearingCalf.htm
http://injuredrunner.com/stretches/stretch_plantar_fascia_massage.htm

Hamstring tendonitis is pain on and just below the boney part of the butt you sit on, and may be associated with a limp.
http://injuredrunner.com/injury_region/butt/butt_ham_tendonitis.htm
http://injuredrunner.com/recovery.htm

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Warm up.
Don't push yourself to the breaking point.
Stretch after walking.
Use ibuprofen or other NSAID to reduce inflammation.

If you get tendonitis, take a day off.

And visit the above very useful websites.

Absolutely great advice, Falcon.

Hate to dwell on this, but I really want to tell y'all how important it is to pay attention to pain.

Most peregrinos associate tendonitis with achilles or "shin splints". My husband had a distal hamstring tendonitis injury (bottom of his calf) this spring on the VDLP. Included huge swelling of the foot and ankle.

He is now more than 3 months into his physio and his achilles tendon (which we thought was ruled out) is still very swollen - today the physio said it was still twice the size of the other leg. I include these details just to illustrate that no injury is isolated to one area. Injury involves a much larger area than you would at first suspect. He is still limping and can now walk 4 km.

And as I said earlier, a lot of this damage occurred from trying to "tough it out" or just "walk it off".

Don't do it. If it hurts to walk, your body is telling you to rest. How long that rest might be your body will let you know in the fullness of time. Be patient as your body tries to repair itself.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It is also important to stay hydrated! I cannot stress this enough. You run a higher risk of injury when you are not drinking enough water. I have been learning this the hard way recently with some of the backpacking and hiking I have been doing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9550 using Tapatalk

Kitsambler said:
While I didn't need or seek medical attention on last year's walk, there were many days with considerable pain or discomfort. Here are some resources I found helpful (from http://www.injuredrunner.com):

]

What I thought was tendonitis started on the long hill up to O' Cebreiro. As I had got so far, I was determined to finish my journey, and as I couldn't change the date of my flight, I walked the last 150 km into Santiago without any rest and in a great deal of pain. When I got back home and it didn't heal with rest, I went to a sports doctor who initially diagnosed it as tendonitis but a scan showed that it was an inflamed flexor retinaculum of the foot. I had a cortisone injection in my foot, was given exercises to do, and had to get an arch support for my boots and trainers, and now 3 months later it is almost back to normal. My sports doctor thinks my injury was probably caused by one leg being slightly longer than the other (which apparently is quite common), and the injury was inevitable, but could have been prevented had I done exercises to strengthen the core. His advice is that one should have a thorough check before embarking on the Camino and to prepare for it by doing special exercises to strengthen the tendons and the core, and an arch support in my boots would have helped. I spent months preparing for the Camino and developing my fitness and stamina before the Camino, yet neglected my feet, ankles and core.

I believe Jennysa's doctors advice is wise. Easily corrected foot problems could be remedied before embarking on the Camino. I recall my heals taking about a month to get back to normal. I now hike with heal cups in my shoes.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lots of good advice here. As someone who has had severe post-Camino heel pain, and also had to stop my Vdlp in 2009 after just two weeks, I just want to add a caution about the orthotics. My sports doctor, my new podiatrist, and I have pretty much concluded that the hard plastic orthotics I had worn for years were actually the cause of my heel problems. Or at a minimum, they contributed to the problem. For a bunch of caminos, I tried to ward off problems by icing every day, staying off asphalt even if it meant walking on a 6" dirt path on the side of the road, taking anti-inflammatories, etc. Only in one case did I have to stop walking, but for many years I was stuck with some pretty bad post-camino heel pain. I tried to figure out how to put the gel heel cups on top of the orthotic, but it was impossible. For people without orthotics, I think they're terrific, particularly for those caminos with lots of asphalt.

In 2010, I switched to custom-made silicone orthotics, and though they are much heavier, they are obviously much less rigid and more shock-absorbent, while still providing the proper arch support, etc. without killing my heel. Knock on wood, I've been free of heel pain since then, in 2010 for Sevilla to Muxia, and in 2011 from Madrid to Santiago.

Wishing everyone a healthy happy pair of feet! Laurie

great post and some wize advice
im not great with giving the problem a technical name
but i know that i focussed hard on not getting blisters, and had none
and was surprised by the amount of foot pain i endured
both on and after the camino
i had v swolen ankles
a pain down on calf into one ankle
a pain down the front of one shin ending on the arch of the other foot
i lost the feeling in both feet every day for 40 days after being on the trail for about 2 hours
the sensation in my feet returned later at night and was almost unbearable
? was i going to stop
no
i would have rather considered amputation, and hopped to S'diago
nothing was going to stop me finishing
so i took
3000mg pain killers
same in anti inflamatories
deep rubbed anti inflams into offending body-parts every day
and soaked my feet in v hot water every nite to return the feeling
for 3 months after returning, i went on no walks
my foot doc said just to rest
afetr 3 months i went to a physio who said i had a pinched nerve in my lower back, and that was the reason for not feeling my feet !
? did i get tendonitis
i cannot give my foot problems a name
but i am certain that no matter how much more pre camino training id have done
i would not have been prepared for these problems
i did what prep i could ----
light bag
plenty training
decent footwear
and im sure that all this preparation lessened the odds of ending my camino prematurely

tamtamplin said:
i had v swolen ankles
a pain down on calf into one ankle
a pain down the front of one shin ending on the arch of the other foot
i lost the feeling in both feet every day for 40 days after being on the trail for about 2 hours
the sensation in my feet returned later at night and was almost unbearable

i did what prep i could ----
light bag
plenty training
decent footwear

and im sure that all this preparation lessened the odds of ending my camino prematurely

tamtamplin I'm going to print your post and take it with me. I did something to my hip/thigh as I trained and it is now a 'molestia', a nuisance. I saw my physiotherapist and he said it is just a knot.
So I am looking at the VDLP with some trepidation. So thank you for what you wrote here. Between your post, the Rosary and my husband's patience, I should be able to manage...
Thank you.
claire

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Though I completed the Camino Frances with my father in 32 walking days, I didn't do it without pain, tears, and suffering. Walking into Logrono on my 7th day of walking, I more or less collapsed outside of the albergue. I simply could not move my feet. I had developed tendonitis in both of my shins, and the up-and-down movement of my feet was too much strain on the area. We visited the hospital during walk-in hours, and with some crude sign language managed to get the doctor to prescribe some anti-inflammatories for me. He also told me to walk as little as possible for 2-3 days, and to ice as much as possible. We stayed 3 full days in Logrono for me to recooperate, and the fourth day my father walked on to Najera while I took the bus.

The next day, walking from Najera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada, I was fine! I was so thrilled. However, the day after that it came back in my right shin, and stayed there for the remainder of my camino. About a week later I noticed a similar pain in my left achilles. Then when stretching my injuries before going to bed at night, I noticed a kind of creaking noise whenever I moved the joints in question. My father (a former firefighter with medical training) identified this as crepitus, which upon getting home and researching it, I discovered was a sign that my tendons were significantly weakened and could have even been close to snapping. My right big toe got it as well (somehow?!)

I cannot stress enough how difficult getting this made my camino. Getting up in the morning, I may feel fantastic, but I never knew what km mark would be the absolute breaking point for my body that day. Many days I practically crawled into town. Several times I used our walking sticks as crutches. Often I had to walk down hills and stairs backwards because it was simply too painful to attempt forwards. Because of how I had to adjust my walk to accommodate my injury, I also found myself with a grand total of 17 blisters over the course of my camino. There were many days where my father was determined to stick me on a bus, given the condition I had finished walking in the day before, but somehow I made it. I wouldn't recommend pushing your body the way I did, however. The pull to Santiago is strong, but the desire to not snap a tendon should perhaps have been stronger. Despite feeling the intense pain I was in, I think I underestimated the amount of longterm damage I potentially could have caused myself.

In my last week of the camino, in came back in my left shin as well. It would come and go in both my shins at this point, one being in stronger pain than the other at any given time, and I had only one tensor bandage so several times during each walk I would stop and switch the bandage over to the other leg. I'm sure people who hadn't been walking with me for weeks must have thought I was faking it and couldn't remember which leg I was pretending to have hurt!

I absolutely want to do the camino again. But I need to figure out WHY this happened to me. I trained extensively before doing the camino. I was 19 at the time (this was six months ago) and I'm a fit and active person who has never sustained any serious injuries. My shoes were broken in and I had trained with my pack. I suppose I might have to get myself an appointment with a podiatrist, bring in my shoes and ask him what went wrong. Because as much as I still adored my camino and as much as I consider it to be the best experience of my life thus far, I would rather repeat it without that pain. Does anyone know what could have possibly caused this?

Gracias y ultreia!

Does anyone know what could have possibly caused this?
Repetitive stress.

You made your body do something it was not used to doing. The minute you walked through the first pain, you began to do damage to the connective tissues that cause tendonitis. Muscles grow stronger after they are over-used and allowed to rebuild. Connective tissue does not. At the first sign of tendonitis, you should stop walking, and use ice and an anti-inflammatory (I use ibuprofen, which many shun). Only rest, preferable complete rest, will allow the inflammation to go away and the pain to subside.

Finding the correct change in the mechanics of your walking is more difficult. As you observed, when you changed your mechanics, you got blisters. Many times the reverse happens. You get blisters, and you change your stride to accommodate them, resulting in tendonitis. My suggestion, and you are likely to get many more, is to take long, frequent breaks at the first sign of pain. Instead of pushing through it, take the rest that will allow the inflammation to decrease. Stretching usually helps, as does massaging the surrounding muscles. The one thing that is almost certain is that tendonitis will not go away by pressing on. If you can tolerate the pain, then you will make your flight in Santiago. But know the trade-off -- discomfort vs. keeping a schedule.

If there is any consolation, you will survive tendonitis, probably with a limp lasting weeks.

Just an FYI, pilgrims get tendinitis in places other than their legs and feet.
I get tendinitis in my shoulders when I overwork in the spring with shifting and lifting, as well as hiking with 6 kg. on my back. Sharp pain in my shoulder blades, radiating down my arms and numbing my fingers -- which made me think CARDIAC the first few times it hit.
David the Magical Masajista and physiotherapist in Sahagun always puts me right, but it takes a little while, and it hurts a LOT. One thing he advises is to NOT use walking sticks when out camino-ing, to cut down on the repetitive motion in my rotator joints in my shoulders. Who´d have thunk that?
(I am not advising against walking sticks. Just saying if you get bad pain in your shoulders/neck/upper back, it could be an element.)

I am with those who recommend a whole lot of water, and beer, too -- for the electrolytes. And eat lots of big salads and spinach and green beans, for the B vitamins.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Interesting, Reb. I use walking sticks on the camino but find I have to put them away regularly because of that shoulder/shoulder blade pain. At first I thought I might have had them at the wrong height but that wasn't it.

So I think to echo your experience and others' advice, it seems that repetition is a classic culprit in pain and injury and any break in that repetition may help. So maybe try this on a regular basis:

Take off your pack and readjust it. Take off your boots and relace them. Alternate walking with poles and no poles.

Couldn't hurt. :wink:

Yes, I can see, poles can do damage, just like everything really, I've always thought you should change them regularly, I've used them for hours on end, think they are great. I have a reasonably strong upper half, yes we should exercise, move about, long distance cyclists have to de-lactose, we walkers must suffer similar what ever that is. Maybe getting massage every night is pretty important too.

Have just bought a pair(literally) of Pacerpoles http://www.pacerpole.com/, really for my partner, who has arthritis........will she thank me, probably not! :D

I have arthritis in both ankles, bursitis in one shoulder, Pacer Poles, and a knee that likes to pop out of alignment. The all go with me when I walk. Everyone with Pacer Poles loves them, so your partner should thank you.

I thought the bane of pilgrims was LOMO??

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I am here to tell you, a good lomo is a gift from above, especially lomo adobado.

The shoe-leather served up under that name to pilgrims is just the modern-day hash-merchant following in the tradition of bad Camino innkeepers of the ages. Someday there will be justice.

Take care of your personal lomos, and your lomos will take care of you.
Reb.

A treatment I have not seen mentioned on this thread is Voltaren Emulgel, a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory ointment that is available inexpensively OTC in Europe but not in the US. It gets a lot more of the active ingredient to the site of inflammation than something taken orally. Use it as a preventative if you are prone to a particular problem.

Sorry Reb, I'm with Falcon on this. If lomo is gift it is a strange theological gift. Last time I walked, it got so bad one week that I invented Helado de Lomo so that we could have it por postre tambien.

How much lomo will I eat on the Ingles next week?

At least the anticipation takes the minds off aching feet,

Andy

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
None if you don't want to. :D

andy.d said:
Sorry Reb, I'm with Falcon on this. If lomo is gift it is a strange theological gift. Last time I walked, it got so bad one week that I invented Helado de Lomo so that we could have it por postre tambien.

How much lomo will I eat on the Ingles next week?

At least the anticipation takes the minds off aching feet,

Andy

A colleague of mine has suffered chronic tendonitis for years. He is a marathon runner, which of course aggravates the condition. He was just telling me that he's about to undergo a relatively new treatment, which involves extracting his blood through the normal process, and then centrifuging it and re-injecting ithe platelets directly into the tendon. He tells me he has done a lot of research on it, and that it has a high success rate and does a good job of offsetting the unfortunate fact that there isn't much blood flow to the tendons. I don't know if this might be of interest to some of the chronic tendonitis folks or not, but it may fall into the "worth a try" category since it (at least seems to) involve low or no risk.

Buen camino, Laurie

Have just bought a pair(literally) of Pacerpoles http://www.pacerpole.com/, really for my partner, who has arthritis........will she thank me, probably not!

She may well thank you, because, from my experience Pacer Poles don't have that repetitive action. Yes, you are continually swinging the poles through, but the action is using the natural swing of the arm when you walk (other than when you change it for going down steep hills). It is my understanding that those poles were designed by a Phsio to stop the RSI that you can get from other poles, and my experience with them seems to support that. I stress that it is my experience, and so I don't set myself up as an expert on them, but I think you have chosen well. The only snag with them is that you need to practice initially (you probably have to do that with all poles) but once you recognize that you change nothing in your walking style it becomes very natural. Janet

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just finished the Camino using Pacer Poles. Can't say enough about them! They move almost by themselves as you walk and though I put them away periodically, I nearly always pulled them out after a short while. They do not require significant arm movement, just swing as you walk.

Most read last week in this forum

We are leaving to do the whole Camino Frances in a week. I have two corns on my right foot that are becoming very painful - I have had them for years with little issue but over the last month with...
I’ve been trying to decide on a fitness regime in preparation for the Camino, but upon reviewing this board, YouTube, etc, there’s an overwhelming array of suggestions and programs, but I’m less...
I am a CPAP user, and would need to bring my machine as I need it at night during the Camino. I have a regular size Resmed (without the water chamber). My plan is - to pack it in the CPAP...
Have been walking my first Camino and loving it, until coming down with a nasty cold in Puente La Reina, with a bad headache, sore throat, deep chest congestion and developing cough. The...
3 days ago, I developed a horrible shinsplint where I was barely walking--KT helped a little to get me through the day. So, I took a rest day and booked a nearby PT in pontevedra. Anna was able...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.