• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tendonitis

ruthazel

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to walk the Camino in April/May 2018
Hello. I have a sad tale. Started Camino Frances on April 5th with my husband and we have had a wonderful time. We coped with the bad weather over the Pyrenees, the floods and endless rain that followed and loved it all. We had a rest day in Burgos and set out across the Meseta. We are seasoned walkers and have hiked the Himalayas, Alps and endless other long distance European trails, BUT, we had never walked the long distances and stony ground of the mesteta. It was easy walking, so we went for it and had long days. It was beautiful. Suddenly disaster struck and I woke up with severe foot pain. Hobbled on to Mansilla de las Mulas, where the wonderful municipal albergue actually offered free massage and physio. I felt sure I would be fine, but the next day still could not walk and by this time my other leg was suffering due to my limp. I took the bus to Leon. More physio and three days rest and still no better. So, we have had to return home, very disappointed and sad. We plan to return in the autumn to do the Leon to Santiago stretch.
So, the moral of this is don't be over confident on the Meseta. It was basically a repetitive strain injury. Pace yourself - there's no hurry - use gel insoles in your boots if you feel sore and rest at the first sign of trouble. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am sorry to read your message. It must have cost you a lot to have to go home. However, you are already planning to return this autumn, so that is a silver lining in the cloud of your disappointment. I look forward to your post after you have completed your Camino!

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My left IT Band blew out on me two years ago, 3 days out of SJPP. It is still sore after all this time but I have a lighter load now and will take it as easy as my body tells me to. Leaving tomorrow morning and will be back on the Camino my Monday, May 7.
Delighted to be reminded of your start date. Looking forward to your posts from the Camino!

Last edited:
My left IT Band blew out on me two years ago, 3 days out of SJPP. It is still sore after all this time but I have a lighter load now and will take it as easy as my body tells me to. Leaving tomorrow morning and will be back on the Camino my Monday, May 7.
Good Luck!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am sorry to read your message. It must have cost you a lot to have to go home. However, you are already planning to return this autumn, so that is a silver lining in the cloud of your disappointment. I look forward to your post after you have completed your Camino!
Thank you! It was actually the cheapest option as we had booked our return by ferry from Santander to UK and were able to change it easily without charge. Its not easy getting the rest needed in albergues as they want you out by 8am each day, so to find somewhere suitable to stay in Leon for maybe a week would have been hideously expensive. Of course we will have to fund the return journey later this year though.

Hello. I have a sad tale. Started Camino Frances on April 5th with my husband and we have had a wonderful time. We coped with the bad weather over the Pyrenees, the floods and endless rain that followed and loved it all. We had a rest day in Burgos and set out across the Meseta. We are seasoned walkers and have hiked the Himalayas, Alps and endless other long distance European trails, BUT, we had never walked the long distances and stony ground of the mesteta. It was easy walking, so we went for it and had long days. It was beautiful. Suddenly disaster struck and I woke up with severe foot pain. Hobbled on to Mansilla de las Mulas, where the wonderful municipal albergue actually offered free massage and physio. I felt sure I would be fine, but the next day still could not walk and by this time my other leg was suffering due to my limp. I took the bus to Leon. More physio and three days rest and still no better. So, we have had to return home, very disappointed and sad. We plan to return in the autumn to do the Leon to Santiago stretch.
So, the moral of this is don't be over confident on the Meseta. It was basically a repetitive strain injury. Pace yourself - there's no hurry - use gel insoles in your boots if you feel sore and rest at the first sign of trouble. Buen Camino!

Sorry to hear. I am back 3 weeks from completing 950km on El Norte and still cannot fully bear weight on one foot due to significant tendonitis. A lot of road and long distance walking on El Norte. But in 2017 the hospitalera at the Municipal albergue in Mansilla de las Mulas lovingly cared for my blistered feet. I’ll never forget her. Safe return home.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I strangely feel as if I'm still journeying, even if it is going to take a few months out of Spain that I had not planned!

Thank you! It was actually the cheapest option as we had booked our return by ferry from Santander to UK and were able to change it easily without charge. Its not easy getting the rest needed in albergues as they want you out by 8am each day, so to find somewhere suitable to stay in Leon for maybe a week would have been hideously expensive. Of course we will have to fund the return journey later this year though.
I am glad your purse has not suffered, although you will as you say have to fund another trip. I actually meant an emotional cost... and even that you will make good, I do not doubt. In case you need to know this, there is an albergue in Leon, if you do not arrive in time for the nuns albergue, where you can book. It cost €17pp last year for bed and breakfast included. Self service breakfast, and the beds had duvets, sheets, pillows, pillowcases, and there were towels also. I need to think about the name, it is not Piccadilly Circus but it is the name of a place in London! Just googled, it is Hostal Covent Garden, and the owner speaks #Englsih. They accept others, not only pilgrims, but the owner has walked the camino and is therefore sympathetic. Hope you manage to get over this hurdle, and you will be well prepared to pace yourselves next time. Take care.

Sorry to hear. I have suffered a similar problem and have learnt a lot about the challenges of long distance walking. It is like back to back half marathons but at a walking pace day after day.
I heard and quote” if you want to arrive like a young person start like an old one” meaning walk slowly and short distances for the first week. The stages on any Camino are only suggestions and can’t be achieved by most older people. I know and follow the advice of a Spanish/Canadian I met on my first Camino to aim for 20 km a day.
Now on my 5th and it has taken me at 74years old nearly 3 weeks to really tackle the paths and hills on the VDLP and walk 20 odd km a day including so decent hills.
Lastly there is a lot of evidence that when our body is short of fluid it robs easy sites to keep the vital organs functioning. Fluid in joints and in the fascia which is the membrane around muscle bundles are easy targets. When the latter are dry and brittle shin splints can easily occur. Feels like someone stabbing pins into the shins.
Start off well hydrated in the morning. 1 litre first up and stay topped up.
There is a whole chapter on this in “Backpacks, Boots& Blisters” which is all about getting camino ready. Available from Amazon.
Buen Camino for next time
Happymark

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry to hear. I have suffered a similar problem and have learnt a lot about the challenges of long distance walking. It is like back to back half marathons but at a walking pace day after day.
I heard and quote” if you want to arrive like a young person start like an old one” meaning walk slowly and short distances for the first week. The stages on any Camino are only suggestions and can’t be achieved by most older people. I know and follow the advice of a Spanish/Canadian I met on my first Camino to aim for 20 km a day.
Now on my 5th and it has taken me at 74years old nearly 3 weeks to really tackle the paths and hills on the VDLP and walk 20 odd km a day including so decent hills.
Lastly there is a lot of evidence that when our body is short of fluid it robs easy sites to keep the vital organs functioning. Fluid in joints and in the fascia which is the membrane around muscle bundles are easy targets. When the latter are dry and brittle shin splints can easily occur. Feels like someone stabbing pins into the shins.
Start off well hydrated in the morning. 1 litre first up and stay topped up.
There is a whole chapter on this in “Backpacks, Boots& Blisters” which is all about getting camino ready. Available from Amazon.
Buen Camino for next time
Happymark
I really like your emphasis on hydration...

I am glad your purse has not suffered, although you will as you say have to fund another trip. I actually meant an emotional cost... and even that you will make good, I do not doubt. In case you need to know this, there is an albergue in Leon, if you do not arrive in time for the nuns albergue, where you can book. It cost €17pp last year for bed and breakfast included. Self service breakfast, and the beds had duvets, sheets, pillows, pillowcases, and there were towels also. I need to think about the name, it is not Piccadilly Circus but it is the name of a place in London! Just googled, it is Hostal Covent Garden, and the owner speaks #Englsih. They accept others, not only pilgrims, but the owner has walked the camino and is therefore sympathetic. Hope you manage to get over this hurdle, and you will be well prepared to pace yourselves next time. Take care.
Yes, the emotional cost is significant - we were really disappointed to a degree that is hard to rationalise. However, I now strangely feel as if we are still on the journey, coping with a setback in a different location, until we can return. Who knew this would be so addictive!! Thanks for the suggestion of the hostal. I think if we had chosen somewhere like that last week where we could stay for a few days instead of having to find somewhere new each night, we might have made it. Certainly today, a week after it flared up, I can bear a lot more weight on the foot. However, maybe it was meant to be!!

Great advice here - and sorry to hear about your disappointment. I had a similar experience last month - developed tendinitis in my right shin and ankle, which had reached debilitating levels by LeĂłn. I went to the hospital (San Francisco clinic), saw a terrific emergency doctor (but she didn't speak English - fortunately I had Spanish camino family with me) who had X-rays done, and prescribed 3 - 4 days of rest plus some excellent anti-inflammatory medication. After 3 nights R&R in a hotel, I continued on my way and didn't miss a day from there to Santiago, MuxĂ­a and Fisterra.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
How disappointing! But glad to know you have a return planned.

Cannot agree more with those who mention the importance of hydrating. Also electrolytes.

I'm prone to tendonitis and have found these helpful:
- strength/resistance exercises as part of "training"
- hydrate, hydrate, hydrate
- diet - protein for the muscles
- take the first week easy (this is a tough one)
- compression socks
- shorten your gait
- take a rest day before you're actually forced to through pain - one day off makes a huge difference if you do it early on. If you wait till you're in excruciating pain before you take a day off, one day off doesn't really make a difference.

If you're staying in municipal alberges, they will allow you to stay an extra night if you can get a doctor's note.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back