• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

tent and mattress ?

neil1889

Time of past OR future Camino
Northern and primitivo (2015)
hi, I am starting my first camino next week, the northern and then primitivo to Santiago. it's a bit impromptu and am asking myself to do it at a bit of lick, so need to travel light and have some reliability in hitting accommodation later in the day.

I read a few posts, reccommending a tent and mattress, as accomm can be a bit sparse in some parts of both routes.

any thoughts ? I have an ultralight tent, but would rather not carry if not going to use ? and how easy is it, just to pitch up a tent by the road, if needed ? Restrictions etc ?

Also read, that some points the hostels get quite busy and its recommended taking a mattress in case there is no bed. Again, as I am looking to cover a good number of kiloms in a day, would likely to be arriving later than earlier at hostels. Any thoughts

Many thanks

neil

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Neil, you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a bed, many of the towns along the Norte are touristy seaside towns, so in the worst (or best!) case scenario you can get a bed in a pension, hostel or backpackers. In terms of pilgrim accommodation, there are municipal and private albergues, and they sometimes open the 'polideportivos' (sports centres) when these are full. I was on the Norte in June last year and never needed a mattress (in fact it's one of the items most often found in the lost property/ 'help yourself' box!)

It seems camping is becoming more popular, although you have to ask the farmer's permission to camp in a field, and they won't allow you to pitch if it's a protected area, so you need to know this in advance. The albergues don't tend to have much outside space, but when they do the hospitaleros are usually quite accommodating. I think this recent thread would be most helpful for your needs: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...n-camino-del-norte-and-booking-hostels.32198/

hi, I am starting my first camino next week, the northern and then primitivo to Santiago. it's a bit impromptu and am asking myself to do it at a bit of lick, so need to travel light and have some reliability in hitting accommodation later in the day.

I read a few posts, reccommending a tent and mattress, as accomm can be a bit sparse in some parts of both routes.

any thoughts ? I have an ultralight tent, but would rather not carry if not going to use ? and how easy is it, just to pitch up a tent by the road, if needed ? Restrictions etc ?

Also read, that some points the hostels get quite busy and its recommended taking a mattress in case there is no bed. Again, as I am looking to cover a good number of kiloms in a day, would likely to be arriving later than earlier at hostels. Any thoughts

Many thanks

neil
Welcome to the forum, Neil.
There's a currently running thread of one of forum members who's tenting on del Norte:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/kanga-hopping.33525/#post-305929
Hope it will help you!

Ultreia!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Thanks both, very helpful. Quick supplementary question. I've also read a few posts saying waymarking is not always great on the Norte and Primitivo. again, because I am looking at doing it at a good rate, do t want to spend too much time lost. what details of Mao/guide is advisable. I have the guide from the Basque Country TI and also the Camino Mundo maps. Which give outlines of the paths and entry to towns, would anything more detailed be necessary ? Cheers

Hi Neil! You're basically walking right along the coast most of the time, so as long as the sea is on your right and you're following the path of the sun you'll be ok! I really don't know much about the guidebooks and apps that other pilgrims use, I've never had any trouble just following the yellow arrows westwards, or asking a local if I feel I'm off the beaten track. It's maybe a bit easier to get lost in big cities, especially if you're not staying in an albergue, but EVERYONE who lives there knows the camino, so even if you don't know any Spanish you can just say "Camino de Santiago?" accompanied by the universal "where?" shrug, and before you know it you'll find yourself arm-in-arm with your new personal tour-guide.

I know you don't want to risk anything so you can find suggestions for apps or guidebooks by doing a search for 'way-marking on the norte' or something similar on this forum. The local tourist centres (which you will pass whenever you walk through a medium-sized town) also offer free route-maps, and there's loads of information on great sites such as www.gronze.com/camino-de-santiago/caminos/guia-del-camino-del-norte and www.caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/del-norte/

There is a lot of development along the north coast (lots of it postponed due to current financial crisis), so there are unfortunately a few diversions you have to watch out for - especially in the area around Llanes. Also, just so you know the arrows run alongside the main roads (it seems medieval pilgrims were less interested in the 'scenic route'), so many prefer following the GR-E9 coastal path - in fact I think many of these coastal paths have now become the 'official route'.

I haven't done the Primitivo (yet!) but these lovely ladies have just done it and uploaded some very helpful up-to-the-minute information!
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...imitivo-our-route-and-places-we-stayed.33947/

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.