• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

'Tent' or No 'Tent'

Abbeydore

Veteran Member
Now having read Annies Blog(http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/); it's just dawned on me I suffer from headaches/migranes from people's perfume :evil:
Like us all I need to go light, I see I can get a Vaude tent & use my poles as tent poles, I could leave my fly-sheet on my macpac tent behind to cut down on weight!
I see my ourselves trying to sleep out side Albergues mainly & paying accordingly, & enjoying the communal life.
Hope this is not a mad idea, any one tried it or do you think we are mad!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This fellow also tented most of his Camino but this was a few years ago so you'll have to scroll down to the bottom of the 2008 page.
http://tinyurl.com/6bmahuv

A tent would be a very bad idea.

For what it is worth...I don't recall an instance of any type of perfume or fragrance on any Camino and I am not a fan of either.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks Sil, I read his yesterday, he cannot stop travelling, amazing, he's very organized & fit!

Thanks Grayland, that's reassuring,(the vaude tent is only 2.3lbs)
http://www.vaude.com/epages/Vaude-de.sf ... /157022270.

As we are leaving Astorga on April 1st with less people we maybe even more lucky, try not too. As I'll probably end up carrying my partners bag @ times, weight is going to be even more important.

Keep an eye on the weather reports. April was great this year but in past years it has been a trecherous month with sudden snow falls heavier than in December, especially in the mountains.
From Astorga you start climbing to Rabanal and the next day to the highest point on the Camino Frances. In June this year it turned cold in the Irago mountains and we had to wear our fleece tops, scarves, buffs, and beanies. Plan on pitching your tents close to villages so that you are safe.

From my book:

Wild camping is legal in Spain but with some restrictions. You are not allowed to camp:
• In any urban area (these areas are prohibited for military or tourist reasons)
• Within 1 km of an official campsite
• On tourist beaches
• In the ‘Parques Naturales’

If you are sensible and ‘wild camp’ close to these areas have some sensitivity to the rules and you can camp almost anywhere in the countryside. It is illegal, however, to make fires so unless you have a camping stove, rather wait until you get to a café-bar for your daily fix of café-con-leche

Rabanal del Camino:
Wild camping possible in a field at Rabanal or the open area just beyond the village: No facilities

Santa Catalina de Somoza: 2nd class: 15/3 to 15/10 At Santa Colomba de Somoza – bear left on Le142 before reaching Santa Catalina
http://www.carbayal.com/b4_en.htm 240 persons: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Pets allowed: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

O’Cebreiro:
Wild camping is possible in field at the back of the village.

Sarria: Wild camping possible on the banks of the river – access from Pont Riberio.

Portomarin:
Santa Maria – Turn right after crossing the bridge and then right again by the panaderia. 1 km down the lane. ARZUA: All year.
Don Manuel: Turn left 500 m from town centre – behind the hotel. Bar, restaurant, pool.
San Marcos: Restaurant: Pool: Bar – no shop

Useful websites
http://www.camping-spain.net: http://www.canalcamping.com
http://www.campingbungalow.com: http://www.vayacamping.net

Maps: For a map of all the camping sites in Spain:
elCaminosantiago.com/PDF/Map_Spain_Campings.pdf
Zoom in to about 400% on the map on page one and look at the green tent icons. You can also look at page two ‘per autonomia’ for camping locales

Hi Abbeydore,
I walked this year from Vézelay to Fistera and had a tent with me, because I need a lot of air to sleep. The tent weighted less than one kilogram, all in. I didn't use it as often as I planned, but in France I camped sometimes wild and in Spain often in the garden of the albergo. In the city's most albergo's donn't have a garden, and sometimes you are to tired to place your tent.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Something to consider when thinking of carrying a tent or other extra equipment:

2.2 lbs Ultralight tent (from above post)
3.0 lbs Averarge empty internal frame backpack
3.0 lbs 1.5 liters of water

That is 8.2 pounds (3.7 kg) before you start to pack anything else.
Adding 2.2 pounds for the tent is a serious matter and I would think that most lightweight tents would be a bit heavier.

grayland said:
Something to consider when thinking of carrying a tent or other extra equipment:

2.2 lbs Ultralight tent (from above post)
3.0 lbs Averarge empty internal frame backpack
3.0 lbs 1.5 liters of water

That is 8.2 pounds (3.7 kg) before you start to pack anything else.
Adding 2.2 pounds for the tent is a serious matter and I would think that most lightweight tents would be a bit heavier.

I thought the same thing...it's a different walk if you are carrying a tent...even if you get a lightweight pack like an Osprey Hornet that weighs about 2lbs or even a Granite Gear pack that weighs under 2lbs...you still have to factor in water and the rest of your stuff...even if you pack superlight...you still are going to be hard pressed to have a pack that weighs less than 10% of your body weight.

sillydoll said:
Keep an eye on the weather reports. April was great this year but in past years it has been a trecherous month with sudden snow falls heavier than in December, especially in the mountains.
From Astorga you start climbing to Rabanal and the next day to the highest point on the Camino Frances. In June this year it turned cold in the Irago mountains and we had to wear our fleece tops, scarves, buffs, and beanies. Plan on pitching your tents close to villages so that you are safe.

From my book:

Wild camping is legal in Spain but with some restrictions. You are not allowed to camp:
• In any urban area (these areas are prohibited for military or tourist reasons)
• Within 1 km of an official campsite
• On tourist beaches
• In the ‘Parques Naturales’

If you are sensible and ‘wild camp’ close to these areas have some sensitivity to the rules and you can camp almost anywhere in the countryside. It is illegal, however, to make fires so unless you have a camping stove, rather wait until you get to a café-bar for your daily fix of café-con-leche

Rabanal del Camino:
Wild camping possible in a field at Rabanal or the open area just beyond the village: No facilities

Santa Catalina de Somoza: 2nd class: 15/3 to 15/10 At Santa Colomba de Somoza – bear left on Le142 before reaching Santa Catalina
http://www.carbayal.com/b4_en.htm 240 persons: Post and telephone: Restaurant: Cafeteria: Mini-market: Hot water showers: Pets allowed: Post & Telephone: Credit cards accepted

O’Cebreiro:
Wild camping is possible in field at the back of the village.

Sarria: Wild camping possible on the banks of the river – access from Pont Riberio.

Portomarin:
Santa Maria – Turn right after crossing the bridge and then right again by the panaderia. 1 km down the lane. ARZUA: All year.
Don Manuel: Turn left 500 m from town centre – behind the hotel. Bar, restaurant, pool.
San Marcos: Restaurant: Pool: Bar – no shop

Useful websites
http://www.camping-spain.net: http://www.canalcamping.com
http://www.campingbungalow.com: http://www.vayacamping.net

Maps: For a map of all the camping sites in Spain:
elCaminosantiago.com/PDF/Map_Spain_Campings.pdf
Zoom in to about 400% on the map on page one and look at the green tent icons. You can also look at page two ‘per autonomia’ for camping locales

thank you sil, wow lighting a fire in Spain is asking for trouble, a bit of a tinderbox I would have thought!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Abbey,

There have been times when I've said I would never take a tent.
There have been times when I was happy I had one.

I can only tell you that having a tent on my last Camino worked great for me!
I plan on taking one next trip also.

Depending on the time of year (I should go back and read this post) you could just take a tarp tent. I used my trekking poles to set up, saving weight.
There were always places to camp when I needed, even in albergue yards.
I did not have to listen to snoring.
I did not have to breathe the air of people who were sick.
I did not have to fight to have the window open (or closed)
I went to sleep gazing at the stars.. it was awesome!

Regarding the weight, it wasn't much.
I carried the nysil tarp and Joe carried the lightweight screen tent.
My pack remained in the 10% of my body weight range.
I just packed lighter.

Regarding 3 pounds of water... I wouldn't ever consider carrying that much water on the Frances.
I carried a small bottle and filled it at each village.

Regarding the fragrance:
People who are not sensitive to fragrance often tell me about how there is "no" fragrance, or "just a little." That is a lot like saying to someone who will die if they eat peanuts, "There's only half a peanut in the soup." It matters.

The albergues are tight sometimes, and people DO wear scented deodorants, lotions, and use scented body wash. Some spray the room and themselves. You cannot control it. Also, if you stay in privates, they often use HIGHLY scented laundry products and/or floor washes. You can, however, control the air in your tent. So for me, a tent is a great backup.

I've seen quite a few people tenting on the Camino. Often you can pay a small fee to use kitchen or shower facilities, and just sleep comfortably alone outside. It was never an issue for me.

Anyway.. bottom line is do what works for you!
If you want to take the tent, go for it.
You can always ship it to Santiago and have it held for you.
Better to have it than not, say I.
Whatever you decide, have a wonderful Camino!
Annie

thank you Annie, this forum is wonderful for honest advice, thank you.
The stars are pretty important on a pilgrimage too.......!

I haven't taken a tent on Camino, but I do walk fairly often in the UK with a tent in my pack, which I enjoy. You just have to be prepared to carry the extra weight, walk more slowly, and the like.

It is obviously easier to walk with less weight. If you are walking a route with plenty of infrastructure in terms of albergues or hostals, I would stay in those, not least to be able to shower, wash clothes, etc.

Another option might be a light bivi bag - something like an Alpkit Hunka which is about 300g. This gives you the option to sleep outside keeping dry unless the weather is very bad,

go well,

Andy

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Taking a tent is a good idea if you are going to use it. As an "I might need this" item, it is a bad choice. Even a bivy is just extra weight if you are not going to use it.

Hi Abbey,

There have been times when I've said I would never take a tent.
There have been times when I was happy I had one.

I can only tell you that having a tent on my last Camino worked great for me!
I plan on taking one next trip also.

Depending on the time of year (I should go back and read this post) you could just take a tarp tent. I used my trekking poles to set up, saving weight.
There were always places to camp when I needed, even in albergue yards.
I did not have to listen to snoring.
I did not have to breathe the air of people who were sick.
I did not have to fight to have the window open (or closed)
I went to sleep gazing at the stars.. it was awesome!

Regarding the weight, it wasn't much.
I carried the nysil tarp and Joe carried the lightweight screen tent.
My pack remained in the 10% of my body weight range.
I just packed lighter.

Regarding 3 pounds of water... I wouldn't ever consider carrying that much water on the Frances.
I carried a small bottle and filled it at each village.

Regarding the fragrance:
People who are not sensitive to fragrance often tell me about how there is "no" fragrance, or "just a little." That is a lot like saying to someone who will die if they eat peanuts, "There's only half a peanut in the soup." It matters.

The albergues are tight sometimes, and people DO wear scented deodorants, lotions, and use scented body wash. Some spray the room and themselves. You cannot control it. Also, if you stay in privates, they often use HIGHLY scented laundry products and/or floor washes. You can, however, control the air in your tent. So for me, a tent is a great backup.

I've seen quite a few people tenting on the Camino. Often you can pay a small fee to use kitchen or shower facilities, and just sleep comfortably alone outside. It was never an issue for me.

Anyway.. bottom line is do what works for you!
If you want to take the tent, go for it.
You can always ship it to Santiago and have it held for you.
Better to have it than not, say I.
Whatever you decide, have a wonderful Camino!
Annie[/quote

Thank you, Annie for this post. I have debated tent issue for a few months now. I'm walking in June and worry about overcrowding. I also suffer migraines and have a crowd-related phobia that I am hoping I can conquer through communal living. Having a tent could help cut down on stress when I need solitude.

weather last april has not been very encouraging. we do nçt know what the weather is going to be like. plus with the extra weight, i would not do it. also, there are many albergues available in the stages. however this is your camino, you do what is best for you. in my two long distance caminos, i have met only 2 peregrinos who carried a tent. both of them did it due to economy= budget problems.

buen camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In our 2011 and 2013 Caminos we carried a tent. In 2013, we also carried a camp stove and fuel. If you train, you body will adjust to the weight. In 2011 we used the tent on the albergue grounds and in camping grounds and I was glad we did. It provided us with privacy, clean air, and an opportunity to experience the Camino in a different way. There are very ultralight tents or back packs, if weight is an issue. If you cannot camp in the city and need to stay away from others, consider getting a private room or sharing an accommodation with someone who does not use perfumed toiletries. Often times, the pensiones and even some of the hoteles were not much more costly that what two people would pay at an albergue. The extra cost might provide you with a healthier experience. Best of luck, and buen Camino.

I don't understand why people keep tending to talk about the 10% rule, when it has been explained in this forum that the usual 10% formula it's used for children and not for adults.

Besides, a tent that weights 1.04kg it's not so heavy has that, especially when you use your walking poles for the structure. I'm now going to buy a Portuguese army tent, which weights 1.4kg, and I'm intending to use it on my Camiño Francês in the future.

I would like to thank to everybody on this thread, for the informations that they gave about the camping rules in Spain. Just one question, camping in Albergues it's also paid or not?

Best Regards
Diogo

To answer your last question , yes, you pay to camp at alburges..sometimes the same cost as a bed.

Sometimes you pay and sometimes you do not.
It depends on the hospitalero at the time.
If I use the shower or the kitchen, I offer to pay, always.

But there are many, many places a person can stealth camp on The Way and not pay.
The best places are often on the OTHER side of the villages.

And for me, the issue isn't the cost, it's the fragrance.

Sometimes you pay and sometimes you do not.
It depends on the hospitalero at the time.
If I use the shower or the kitchen, I offer to pay, always.

But there are many, many places a person can stealth camp on The Way and not pay.
The best places are often on the OTHER side of the villages.

And for me, the issue isn't the cost, it's the fragrance.

Annie, I have always walked at peak times and never, in an alburgue, as Diogo asked, been given free camping space donovito or otherwise. Are you referring to off season(other than summer)? If not, where are these "free" alburgues for camping? Planning my next camino..thanks!

Last edited:
I will respond to you in private.
Like I said, it depends on the hospitalero and I don't want to get anyone in trouble.
Perhaps they don't allow it "at peak times" - I always walk in the shoulder seasons, early spring or late fall.

Last edited:
I think sometimes it's also how you frame the question. ;) and some hospitaleros don't mind but they change every two weeks in donativo albergues so it's a crap shoot I would think.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.