• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tent vs. hammoc vs Albergues

Papist Giant

Papist Giant
Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
I really like the communal aspect of the Albergues, but I have some slight concerns.

1) I snore- LOUDLY!! I would pack earplugs just to give them to others

2) I am 6'8" and 320+ lbs. I don't know how comfortable I will be, and nobody wants to be underneath ME if I have a top bunk.

I don't plan on racing, running, rushing, or waking up early.

Therefore, I am considering bringing either a tent or preferably a hammock (with a built in bug net and rain fly).

I know some Albergues would only charge me for a meal and a shower (& this way I can still get my pilgrim's passport stamped), but would there be a place to hang a hammock? Am I thinking about this wrong?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I really like the communal aspect of the Albergues, but I have some slight concerns.

1) I snore- LOUDLY!! I would pack earplugs just to give them to others

2) I am 6'8" and 320+ lbs. I don't know how comfortable I will be, and nobody wants to be underneath ME if I have a top bunk.

I don't plan on racing, running, rushing, or waking up early.

Therefore, I am considering bringing either a tent or preferably a hammock (with a built in bug net and rain fly).

I know some Albergues would only charge me for a meal and a shower (& this way I can still get my pilgrim's passport stamped), but would there be a place to hang a hammock? Am I thinking about this wrong?

I think it is great that you are trying to be considerate of others. I don't have an answer for you, but I would suggest that you bring a ground pad for the times there are no tie-ups for the hammock. Some 550 cord would also be suggested so you can use your hammock's rain fly and bug net if you have to sleep on the ground.

Cheers!

Being an owner of a Clark Jungle Hammock, I considered taking it on my first Camino.
I'm glad I did not.
There are very few places that would be good for hanging along the Camino.
On the meseta, for instance, there are NO trees to speak of for miles and miles.

I often take a Diamond screen tent that is held up with my trekking poles.
If you go in summer months, you can just sleep under the stars - perhaps a lightweight bivy.

As far as snoring goes, what's your budget?
There are plenty of affordable private rooms along the Way...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
From what I knew for some reason I thought was illegal to camp in Spain unless one had a permit and only in designated areas I'm wrong?

Zzotte

From what I knew for some reason I thought was illegal to camp in Spain unless one had a permit and only in designated areas I'm wrong?

Zzotte

There are plenty of places to camp. Often, I stay in the albergue yard because I can't bear the perfume inside. There are also some churchyards, some parks, and farmland. Plenty of threads about camping if you search.

...As far as snoring goes, what's your budget?
There are plenty of affordable private rooms along the Way...

As cheap as possible.

I have a bivy sac and sleeping mat that take up almost no room. My hammock also has an option that I could use it as a tent, too, but unless I could sleep in the hammock at least half of the nights it doesn't seem worth it.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Some 550 cord would also be suggested so you can use your hammock's rain fly and bug net if you have to sleep on the ground.

Cheers!

Hammock rainfly has courage pockets already for this.

Unless I could sleep in the hammock at least half of the nights it doesn't seem worth it, though.

There are plenty of places to camp. Often, I stay in the albergue yard because I can't bear the perfume inside. There are also some churchyards, some parks, and farmland. Plenty of threads about camping if you search.
Actually, from what I've read, you BOTH are right. Everyone except pilgrims needs a permit.

Can someone please post a photo of the "average" bunk bed found in the Albergues?

I just want to know if at my height, if there is someplace for my feet to go without breaking toes.

Since hammocking doesn't seem like a good option, I'm now thinking that if all of the bottom bunks are taken, then I'll sleep outside.

I just don't want to be THAT guy who makes the person below me fear for their life all night thinking my Giant self crashing down on them will be the cause of their doom.

I'll still bring extra earplugs for others though.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Annie I would not have thought, since I walk in the fall I never so one single tent anywhere I just assume...

zzotte

Can someone please post a photo of the "average" bunk bed found in the Albergues?

I just want to know if at my height, if there is someplace for my feet to go without breaking toes.

Since hammocking doesn't seem like a good option, I'm now thinking that if all of the bottom bunks are taken, then I'll sleep outside.

I just don't want to be THAT guy who makes the person below me fear for their life all night thinking my Giant self crashing down on them will be the cause of their doom.

I'll still bring extra earplugs for others though.
Take a look at the albergue photos on the Eroski website to take a look at What the normal bunk looks like. Had the loudest laugh in years this spring ina muni when a man your size came in. The bunks were shaking, the German Uni prof in the bunk below starting he was willing to Die on the Camino, just not crushed in bed by a fellow, thought much larger pilgrim! It was like being 12 again at summer camp. Their was an extra bunk so large Guy moved, tomthe relief of the retired German professor. the bunk did not collapse, though I didn't think the larger pilgrim got to stretch his legs during the night.

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back