• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tent

Gazer

Hi I am doing the camino on 10h April. Do you think I need to take a tent as it makes my bag alot heaver. Thanks Gary

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Gary,

There is NO NEED to carry a tent!. Most pilgrim albergues will be open by April and the crowds of summer will come later. Check out this earlier Forum post to read what others say about tents on the camino.

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
A tent is overkill for the main Camino routes. The only folks who MIGHT need a tent are those coming from European "feeder" pilgrimage routes the lead to the Camino Frances or Camino del Norte, or the Camino Aragones - coming from the east of Spain. The major pilgrimage routes across Spain have adequate albergues, hostals, and hotels.

Depending on the time of year, you need only a lightweight sleeping bag. During the warmer months say from May to the end of September a sleeping bag liner should be adequate.

Also, you do not need "just in case" bivvy gear. Some folks carry emergency foil survival blankets as they weigh "almost nothing" (LOL) and are very small. I suppose that, if you came across someone who was seriously injured and hypothermic (it does happen rarely) this would come in handy when rendering first aid.

I hope this helps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Only bring a tent if you plan to camp out most nights. It is not get busy until mid June at the earliest so should not have an issue with Albergues being too full and most Albergues will be open by mid April so a perfect time to walk in terms of logistics.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Also, you do not need "just in case" bivvy gear. Some folks carry emergency foil survival blankets as they weigh "almost nothing" (LOL) and are very small.

I agree you don't need a tent unless planning to spend time outdoors.

But I don't agree about not taking sensible precautions. I screwed up ( totally my fault ) my first day out of SJPdP and ended up sleeping in emergency shelter at top of Col lepoeder in a 12hr storm. I absolutely needed my emergency blanket *and* sleeping bag. Because I was prepared, I could stick it out safely rather than resort to calling for help.

No need to take a hefty 1st aid kit, but I was very glad of those few grams on that night and all the others when I didn't use it. I would definitely do without a pair of socks or shirt or XYZ in order to take the emergency blanket next time.

Just my 2p.

I agree you don't need a tent unless planning to spend time outdoors.

But I don't agree about not taking sensible precautions. I screwed up ( totally my fault ) my first day out of SJPdP and ended up sleeping in emergency shelter at top of Col lepoeder in a 12hr storm. I absolutely needed my emergency blanket *and* sleeping bag. Because I was prepared, I could stick it out safely rather than resort to calling for help.

No need to take a hefty 1st aid kit, but I was very glad of those few grams on that night and all the others when I didn't use it. I would definitely do without a pair of socks or shirt or XYZ in order to take the emergency blanket next time.

Just my 2p.

Tim - for what it is worth, I tote along an SOL reflective, mummy-shaped emergency bivvy sack (238 gm). Together with a silk or Cool-Max liner, this combination is up to everything short of having to camp in deep snow. But then again, I like to over-prepare.

Thanks Andreo.

Definitely interesting @ 238gm. Mine is more like 650gm!

I struggle with mummy shaped as I get bit claustrophobic. But 238gm is worth doing some therapy ;-) !

I don't know SOL - will have to research.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Andreo.

Definitely interesting @ 238gm. Mine is more like 650gm!

I struggle with mummy shaped as I get bit claustrophobic. But 238gm is worth doing some therapy ;-) !

I don't know SOL - will have to research.

SOL stands for Survive Outside Longer. They make a complete line of outdoor emergency products. The bivvy I bought appears to be made of a Tyvek material. It is a subdued orange on the outside, reflective foil on the inside, and has a zip about one-third of the way. I would call the shape a modified mummy.

See their web site here: http://www.surviveoutdoorslonger.com/ I have the "Escape" model featured on the site.

They also make less expensive, less warm items. My interest was in being caught between villages either by injury or extreme weather, or to provide first-aid to another pilgrim. On a cold, raw night in an unheated albergue, this would also make a fine expedient sleeping bag when combined with the silk liner I usually rely on.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.