• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tenting?

CowboyJoe

Time of past OR future Camino
I've read where there are no convenient campgrounds along the Camino, but has anyone taken an ultra-light tent and free camped? Is that allowed in Spain? If so, what has your experience been? Thank you, heading out in late May, 2016!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Joe, free camping is generally not allowed on public land (there are exceptions) and most of the Camino runs through private land anyway. Unless you get the owners permission you would be trespassing. There are many thousands of pilgrims walking every year and there is enough of a problem with litter and toilet waste. Some members do carry a tent and use it in the grounds of those albergues that have a garden. My experience carrying a tent on the Norte was that it was not worth the weight. Hopefully you will get some answers from those who have tried camping on the CF.

As an old time camper I read the reviews about camping and decided it was not worth it. There are plenty of reasonably priced alberques along the Frances route that provide toilet facilities and showers. I did however always keep an eye out for "camping spots". You would have very little trouble finding places late in the evening to pop up a lightweight tent provided you were an early riser and used a camp stove. They sell fuel all along the route and I did see some people with tents. There is a lot of toilet waste along the camino and one would want to be respectful of property and where one set up a tent! Of coarse all this would be technically illegal so you would have to make the judgment call.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I did camp on the Camino. It is techniclly illegal to "wild camp" in Spain but I never got caught although I heard stories about others....... I did spend a few nights in rural church yards. They are often taken care of by a nearby neighbor and I was never turned away when I asked. I've also slept in the nearby parks on the edges of small towns and if asked I just said I was a pilgrim. Nobody ever asked me anything. You can often camp in the yards of some of the alburgues but rules differ from place to place. I camped in olive groves and forests. That first big town after Roncesvalles saw a number of us camped by the river as the municipal was packed. A local invited us to camp so we did.
The important thing when wild camping is to stay hidden, be respectful, quiet and clean up after yourself. Be careful when scouting off of remote paths, there's poop everywhere.
I appreciated having the option and carried an ultralight shelter, some of the alburgues are large and noisy.
OK, good luck

I forgot to mention that I camped past Orison in the pass just beyond the fuente de Roland. You'll come to a track that can be hard to see on the left carry on up the hill and there is an old sheep pen. Slept right on the border between France and Spain.

I've read where there are no convenient campgrounds along the Camino, but has anyone taken an ultra-light tent and free camped? Is that allowed in Spain? If so, what has your experience been? Thank you, heading out in late May, 2016!

Hi Joe
The Law says No..many do it ,wild camp...(tolerated in mountain routes"not on camino") rules apply.

The legal way
Roncesvalles will allow you to camp at the back of the albergue as I have done on my very first camino.....exist through rear door down the slope. they chareg 3 euros.....to use shower etc,I paid the 10 Euro......

there are quite a few albergues where you can pay the same price and camp on the grass...some donativos have grassed areas....its better to discover these places yourself..

I will give you a few places along the CF to give you an example....and so on

Puente La Reina the municipal nice walled garden.
Los Across muni. tiny grassed area at rear....your tent will be covered in bird poo next morning....houses opposite..very loud bells can be heard during the night.
Villarmentero de Campos private.......good place for camping loads of room ....
El Burgos Ranero..donativo..I donate 10 euros (when this place is full with a tent you can still camp outside)great to have a late glass of wine sitting on the bench with whoever is volunteering at the time..really lovely grassed area..camp there many times...

Rabanal del camino ..first ablergue has specific raised camp area just passed albergue on the right, with builders container with shower and toilet.
Rabanal del Camino. Gaucelmo.......one of the best places..lovely garden to camp in..tea served in the afternoon....civilized....
Molinaseca muni. they charge you for one person only. ..I buy the volunteer wine or share wine with them..next to main road.....ear plugs.
Ponferrada muni donativo.....as you enter through the gate there is another closed gate opposite,. if the staff can find the key camp in there for free, I donate..if they can't find the key walk round....if you arrive early before its open your not allowed to put your tent up on the grassed area inside the immediate area...you can as mentioned where I said,,if you do arrive before they open camp as mentioned and use the shower and outside clothes wash area . I hang my clothes near my tent back of wrought iron gate
Villafranca de Bierzo the POLICE will tolerate you camping by the river.....ask livia albergue piedra for exactly where...its actually a nice grassed are...I have spoke to the police myself..at the station...

villafranca de Bierzo outside muni (seen tents there)

Triacastela muni very big grassed area....even when the albegrue is full you can camp....you pay as per normal......leave when your ready.last time I was there this year 6 tents (pilgrims with cycles) surrounded my tent with there tents (why do people do that) huge area.....water tap outside. great in the evening on a hot night well away from the albergue for a late night cap.

a few km before Sarria is a campground......called Sarria camping... large shower block in grounds .. restaurant on site....very cheap.....down side take very good earplugs..large detached house next door has very large dogs who bark at the slightest sound and then continue to do so for a long time..leave when you want...

Gonzar..Casa Garcia........lovely casa with restaurant.allows free camping on there land outside 1 minute walk where there do all the pilgrims washing......was free this year,,they will not except money..........however they are building a shower toilet block for campers (so hopefully they will charge.great place.... farms smells free as well... good bar and food good

so a cross section for you to think about...stay in albergues as well.
I camp in winter not everyday....

people do leave human waste along the camino....so be careful.....if you do wild camp.......NEVER LIGHT A FIRE..in Spain

I have wild camped in places where I am very well known,before to have complete space and quiet away from everyone..(to suit my PSTD) rare times but needed.

my tent...(I own 21 tents,) as I am a all year round camper I take a full on Geodesic Terra nova superlight quasar mountain tent was 5 kgs before..now 2.5 kg with out the extra footprint. the tent covered in snow is my first camino tent ,she is now retired..after loyal service.(too heavy 6 kg)

alpha x.jpg
alpha v.jpg
Aviemore Jan 2007 073.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
WOW! Thank you to all for your thoughtful and detailed comments, tips and advice. And for taking the time to respond--perhaps that is the Pilgrim way that comes with being part of this journey and this forum. I will pay it forward. Planning to do the Camino in late May, 2016 and thought of taking an ultra-light tent for back-up purposes mainly. And I am "a leave no trace" hiker. Will take your advice to heart. Very much appreciated!

Ive freecamped many times in Spain without any problems. Earlier this year I walked Geneva to Santiago. In France I freecamped about half the time I was there, less so in Spain as the albergues were so cheap. In Spain when the weather was warm I freecamped outside without putting up the tent, I just used a sleepng bag (concrete picnic tables were my favourite, they even retain a little heat from a hot day). I was seen camping out by locals and farmers and only got smiles and waves. Trick is to set up late, keep the place clean, leave no trace. And never light a fire. I am walking next year, again from Geneva and will be taking my tent again. It just adds to your flexibility I think. It is especially easy to freecamp on the San salvador and the Hospitales route on the Primitivo.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Th
Ive freecamped many times in Spain without any problems. Earlier this year I walked Geneva to Santiago. In France I freecamped about half the time I was there, less so in Spain as the albergues were so cheap. In Spain when the weather was warm I freecamped outside without putting up the tent, I just used a sleepng bag (concrete picnic tables were my favourite, they even retain a little heat from a hot day). I was seen camping out by locals and farmers and only got smiles and waves. Trick is to set up late, keep the place clean, leave no trace. And never light a fire. I am walking next year, again from Geneva and will be taking my tent again. It just adds to your flexibility I think. It is especially easy to freecamp on the San salvador and the Hospitales route on the Primitivo.[/QUOTET

Thanks, Davey and everyone! What kind of tent did you use?. I've been searching for an ultra-light, having trouble finding one in the 1.5 lb range that is reasonably price. If I do tent it would be pretty much like you did, big believer in no trace approach. Also thinking of doing the Salvador to Primitivo detour and thought a tent might come in handy then...

Hey Joe. I use a Zephyros 1 by Wild Country. It weighs in at 1.5 kilos. Just about big enough for one person, and your rucksack in the small porch. It goes up really quick. It was designed specifically for freecamping. And it was cheap!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Zephyros 1 by wild country who is owned by Terra Nova. this tent its very cheap £120 for a tent of this quality.just seen this on sale for £90
Zephyros 1 lite slightly less weight costing £200 1:53kg both 3 season tent. I have two wild country 3 person tents both still going strong

at the moment Terra Nova have a end of line sale on a tent called a "Solar competition" £300 reduced to £200 (1.02kg ) 3 season

all Teera Nova tents are pedigree tents with very high hydrostatic head.

the Terra Nova tent I take on camino for winter is a 4 season mountain tent Terra Nova quasar superlite cost £620 weighs 2.5 kg two doors fully geodesic....

all the above tents are darkgreen fly sheet inner yellow

Warning these tents were never designed to be pitched up all day long in the strong summer sun........to prolong the flysheet..so later in the day is better..to pitch.

as Davey Boyd mentioned about camping where there are tables. after Carrion de Los Condes there are three tables areas which would suit well along that stretch no drinkable water along that stretch. the first being the better more camouflage position

I camped once on the camino right on the path.....I was in a albergue when the owner left and this group decided to have a knees up guitars the lot......I was just about to open a bottle of wine and decided to leave pitch dark. on auto pilot walking with a little moon light in August .1 km pitched right on the path....great night.....bottle of wine (using my boot as wine holder)saw a meteor showing during the night...5 am...pilgrims walking past...".Ohhh Buen Camino there a tent on the Path" I could hear.I could hear footsteps on the path in the night crunch crunch crunch . looked out to bring my wine in .no one or no thing.....creepy....very very very hot in a tent at night in August. too hot..

after El BURGOS RANERO
there are again 4 suitable areas with tables. the first and second having tables so large you could set a tent up on them..also set back ,this road is virtual deserted.no water to access along this stretch..

5 km before ASTORGA is David who lives outside and has a donativo stall with soft drinks for the pilgrims he often ask the females to stay the night and many have before
he cooks his food on a wood fire on the open land he owns.part of the remaining building he has a few bed/bunks....marked as a cantina on the map about a click before Crucerio de Santo Toribio would make a idea spot to camp and see the night sky...open landscape.. if he let you...

there are many festive type tenters who leave rubbish and give the true no trace wild camper a negative name....and leave no trace campers don't do it to save money as some assume
for true freedom and enshrined in LAW camp anywhere in Scotland .wild camping is legal except Loch Lomond area in summer.

another good tent is the North face called the Tadpole 23 by Northface..can be used without the flysheet so long as it does not rain.

Last edited:
There are many tents that are good I have a couple 3 season Zoid 1 tents that are Under 2lb or 1kg they are no longer made but The person using needs to make the decision if creature comfort is more important than weight as you can't sit-up in them. I like them for light weight, but after 4-5 days they get annoying. I like my north face tent as most of them you can configure to just fly & floor. Big Agnus makes some very good 1-3 person Copper Spur Tents that are in the 1-2lb range that you can sit up in That are very comfortable. All of these tents can take a beating in the wind/rain. They are not as stout or heavy as the north face but many use them on the Pacific, Continental trails.

I noticed quite a few campgrounds and many were listed in the CSJ guides for Norte and if I recall finisterre (or was it Muxia?). Didn't pay attention on the CF. I'm glad to see many are responsible about camping but with so many campgrounds why not support the local economy rather than sleep in someone's land hoping they don't catch you? I like to treat others as I would be treated--being a pilgrim is not carte Blanche --one should pay for food eaten, and the place where you rest your head at night. Do do otherwise is more than 'technically' stealing. I'm frustrated enough cleaning up my yard from others' pets, discarded food wrappers, etc. I can only imagine the trial of thousands of people who think "well, I'M not disturbing much.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I noticed quite a few campgrounds and many were listed in the CSJ guides for Norte and if I recall finisterre (or was it Muxia?). Didn't pay attention on the CF. I'm glad to see many are responsible about camping but with so many campgrounds why not support the local economy rather than sleep in someone's land hoping they don't catch you? I like to treat others as I would be treated--being a pilgrim is not carte Blanche --one should pay for food eaten, and the place where you rest your head at night. Do do otherwise is more than 'technically' stealing. I'm frustrated enough cleaning up my yard from others' pets, discarded food wrappers, etc. I can only imagine the trial of thousands of people who think "well, I'M not disturbing much.
Smallest sparrow this is just my opinion.
The vast majority of walkers do stay in public alburgues or other places from my walk it only seemed the tent folks were about 1%. The trash issue relates to everyone. I personally prefer a mattress over a pad, yet there are many people who camp that have experience with leave no trace. Also for some folks suffering with Very bad PTSD it simply is better for them & us they sleep apart. Be that in a tent or a motel. I don't think we can determine how others should sleep. As we do not know what life experience they have. Just as we have no idea of their personal finance. I met a very young family that had no choice other than a tent. So let us be kind & accept the humanity as we find it.
Keith

Tenting is no problem for much of the Camino. Any patch of woods will do. I recall there were lots of places every day from St Jean to Logrono, and every day from Astorga to Santiago. These were the 2 most recent sections I've completed. I've never seen any "camping police." Just don't camp in a town square, just like you wouldn't do in the USA. Also, don't start a campfire, as it is not your wood to burn, and do practice leave no trace camping. One more thing I like to do, is clean up campsites that others have left.

if you camp between towns, set up late, pack up early, leave no trace and no one sees you it never happened!

We did that several times on our first Camino. It was nice to be out there watching the sunrise, but it didn't save much money and it was hard to justify carrying stuff we didn't use every night. The camping nights were good, but the evenings exploring a medieval town and having tapas and vino with the locals were better.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Planned to "tent it" last July. Sent the tent and stove back to California ASAP. There are too many wonderful albergues and the great experiences they offer along the Camino to ever consider tenting again.

If you take the road out of Ciraqui instead of the Camino, there is a nice little park that would be a good camp spot.
Picnic tables too!

Also, I've seen people camped out in the part between Zubiri and Pamplona.

hear this comment many times about supporting the local economy and the the other avoiding getting caught.. firstly I tent some times & do support the local economy.....sleeping in my tent or hotel/albergue...I spend a on average at least 5,ooo euros per camino.....treating other people because I can......I make a donation to a local child in Santiago.. put more in a donativo if camping in the garden than a private albergue......I wild camp because I am a veteran and have PTSD. and believe me no one would like to hear me if I was to have a nightmare.so sometimes I need to be away completely...I wild camp rarely because I can and a contribute buy spending in the town to compensate..also if you look into the LAW some people have special dispensation to camp if they are ill..the police always know were I am because I informed them.

a lot of people wild camp who are totally unaware of any restriction..and you have know way of knowing what contribution someone may make who wild camps some times.

I have also paid to sleep in a private albergue before now. and gave my bed up when the albergue was full to a more in need pilgrim and wild camped...maybe someone saw me an thought the same as you did.

rubbish annoys me as much the next person,so I pick some up as and when....toilet waste is most probably done as I have seen a few times by pilgrims just walking alone..not by me and if I was to go in the outdoors I carry a orange trowel

don't know who these people you mention who do not pay for food..

bit of distorting thinking here and judging..I really would have to warp my mind a lot to imagine pilgrims"thousands of them as you say

"I can only imagine the trial of thousands of people who think "well, I'M not disturbing much"

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My husband and I camped about 2/3 of the nights along the Camino Frances in July 2014. We preferred camping to dorms because of privacy and snoring stories! We mainly camped at albergues that allowed us to for a cheaper price than a bed, and we could still use the shower and hang out in the evenings with other pilgrims. Some of the evenings we waited until late evening and walked outside of town to wild camp but sometimes we were too tired to wait around to leave town and if there was no camping at an albergue in town, we just found beds. I'll post the locations:

Orisson: could've camped at Refuge Orisson but it was pouring so we took a bed
Roncevalles: could've camped at the Municipal but again it was pouring so we took a bed
Zubiri: saw campers along the river right in town, but we were told by many locals that it wasn't allowed so we walked on and camped along the trail just outside of town.
Villava: stayed in albergue bed
Puente La Reina: camped at Albergue Santiago Apostle
Estella: camped at Camping Lizarra, just past Estella. Large family resort-style Spanish campground. Was very expensive.
Los Arcos: wild camped a few km past town, nice benches that made for a campsite
Logrono: stayed in albergue bed
Najera: camped at Camping El Ruedo, inside the town's old bull ring. Beautiful spot!
Santo Domingo de la Calzada: camped at a large family resort-style campground outside of town a bit
Belorado: stayed in albergue dorm because none of the albergues with gardens in this town would allow us to camp
Ages: camped in front of village church, locals said we could, but it was noisy!
Burgos: stayed in albergue bed
Boadilla del Camino: camped at Albergue En el camino, an oasis!
Sahagun: camped at large family resort-style campground just past town
Leon: stayed in albergue bed
Villar de Mazarife: stayed in a bed at Albergue San Antonio de Padua because it was so highly recommended, and it was worth it!
Astorga: stayed in an albergue bed
Rabanal del Camino: camped at the municipal hostel, nice set up for campers
Riego de Ambros: free camping at a great restaurant with lovely mother/daughter owners called Meson de Jardin Andurina, about 1km past town.
Cacabelos: stayed in municipal albergue bed
La Faba: camped at German Ultreya hostel right as you come into the village
Baisa A Ferreira: camped at Albergue El Beso Ecologico, beautiful spot on the less walked route
Barbedelo: camped at Casa de Carmen for free but paid to use showers, amazing dinner here!
Airexe: camped for free at a restaurant at the far end of town
Ribadiso da Baixo: camped at the first albergue in town along the river
Monte do Gozo: stayed in an albergue bed because the town campground was closed, could've camped a few km before Monte do Gozo, can't remember which town it was but very close to Monte and right on the camino

Hope this is helpful for someone out there, I know the few tips I got beforehand were very helpful!

hear this comment many times about supporting the local economy and the the other avoiding getting caught.. firstly I tent some times & do support the local economy.....sleeping in my tent or hotel/albergue...I spend a on average at least 5,ooo euros per camino.....treating other people because I can......I make a donation to a local child in Santiago.. put more in a donativo if camping in the garden than a private albergue......I wild camp because I am a veteran and have PTSD. and believe me no one would like to hear me if I was to have a nightmare.so sometimes I need to be away completely...I wild camp rarely because I can and a contribute buy spending in the town to compensate..also if you look into the LAW some people have special dispensation to camp if they are ill..the police always know were I am because I informed them.

a lot of people wild camp who are totally unaware of any restriction..and you have know way of knowing what contribution someone may make who wild camps some times.

I have also paid to sleep in a private albergue before now. and gave my bed up when the albergue was full to a more in need pilgrim and wild camped...maybe someone saw me an thought the same as you did.

rubbish annoys me as much the next person,so I pick some up as and when....toilet waste is most probably done as I have seen a few times by pilgrims just walking alone..not by me and if I was to go in the outdoors I carry a orange trowel

don't know who these people you mention who do not pay for food..

bit of distorting thinking here and judging..I really would have to warp my mind a lot to imagine pilgrims"thousands of them as you say

"I can only imagine the trial of thousands of people who think "well, I'M not disturbing much"

I am also a veteran with PTSD. I'm not saying you have to stay in albergues, or that you can't camp. I'm merely pointing out there is no good excuse for taking something without paying for it. You want or need to camp--use a campground rather than trespass. Do you regularly let strangers sleep in your yard at home? I know that would ramp up my PTSD--how do you know how the landowner feels about complete strangers encroaching on their space. don't use someone's land in Spain without permission just because you're 'a pilgrim.' If you can't afford campground fees or a pension, and can't use an albergue, then wait until treatment has made albergues tolerable or you've saved enough for the campground fee--do you think it's OK to stow away on an airline to get to Spain? There are costs to making the trip--food and lodging are two of them.
I'm saying this again--being a pilgrim does not entitle anyone to steal food or sleep on private property, anymore than it does in the US (or wherever home is). If you can't respect the rights and personal property of others in the generous host nation, stay home.

I am also a veteran with PTSD. I'm not saying you have to stay in albergues, or that you can't camp. I'm merely pointing out there is no good excuse for taking something without paying for it. You want or need to camp--use a campground rather than trespass. Do you regularly let strangers sleep in your yard at home? I know that would ramp up my PTSD--how do you know how the landowner feels about complete strangers encroaching on their space. don't use someone's land in Spain without permission just because you're 'a pilgrim.' If you can't afford campground fees or a pension, and can't use an albergue, then wait until treatment has made albergues tolerable or you've saved enough for the campground fee--do you think it's OK to stow away on an airline to get to Spain? There are costs to making the trip--food and lodging are two of them.
I'm saying this again--being a pilgrim does not entitle anyone to steal food or sleep on private property, anymore than it does in the US (or wherever home is). If you can't respect the rights and personal property of others in the generous host nation, stay home.

Sorry about this in advance...

By freecamping you are not taking anything, so there is nothing to pay for. That is the point. It is not even trespassing in my view either, what is trespassing got to do with sleeping on a picnic table or in a church porch? You ask do I regularly let strangers sleep in my yard at home? What on earth do you think freecamping is? I have never slept in someone’s yard!!!! Have you ever had a sleep in a park or on the trail on the Camino? It’s the same thing. As for not paying the campground fee, you are saying that there is one always nearby, I don’t think so! I think your view of freecamping is very elitist and US centric. There is certainly not this view in Europe where it is understood and tolerated. Yes there are costs to making the trip, but not everyone can afford as much as others. Walking back from Santiago to Leon to catch the coach home I had 2 Euro’s a day to spend. And I did fine thank you. I have met many pilgrims traveling with no money whatsoever, nothing, and they did fine too. They either played music, sang, washed and cleaned or otherwise helped out where they could. Many I saw were allowed to sleep outside of cafes on the Camino. I received a warm welcome freecamping across both France and Spain, locals actually came and asked if they could help in cases too.

From a UK veteran with PTSD also (There seems a lot of us about)

Davey

Edited by Moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry about this in advance...

By freecamping you are not taking anything, so there is nothing to pay for. That is the point. It is not even trespassing in my view either, what is trespassing got to do with sleeping on a picnic table or in a church porch? You ask do I regularly let strangers sleep in my yard at home? What on earth do you think freecamping is? I have never slept in someone’s yard!!!! Have you ever had a sleep in a park or on the trail on the Camino? It’s the same thing. As for not paying the campground fee, you are saying that there is one always nearby, I don’t think so! I think your view of freecamping is very elitist and US centric. There is certainly not this view in Europe where it is understood and tolerated. Yes there are costs to making the trip, but not everyone can afford as much as others. Walking back from Santiago to Leon to catch the coach home I had 2 Euro’s a day to spend. And I did fine thank you. I have met many pilgrims traveling with no money whatsoever, nothing, and they did fine too. They either played music, sang, washed and cleaned or otherwise helped out where they could. Many I saw were allowed to sleep outside of cafes on the Camino. I received a warm welcome freecamping across both France and Spain, locals actually came and asked if they could help in cases too.

From a UK veteran with PTSD also (There seems a lot of us about)

Davey

Edited by Moderator

Just one point to consider: There is nothing like 'free land' in continental Europe. Every piece of land belongs to somebody and that somebody has he right to decide if they want to have people camping there or not. Buen Camino, SY

Orisson: could've camped at Refuge Orisson but it was pouring so we took a bed
Roncevalles: could've camped at the Municipal but again it was pouring so we took a bed
Zubiri: saw campers along the river right in town, but we were told by many locals that it wasn't allowed so we walked on and camped along the trail just outside of town.
Villava: stayed in albergue bed
Puente La Reina: camped at Albergue Santiago Apostle
Estella: camped at Camping Lizarra, just past Estella. Large family resort-style Spanish campground. Was very expensive.
Los Arcos: wild camped a few km past town, nice benches that made for a campsite
Logrono: stayed in albergue bed
Najera: camped at Camping El Ruedo, inside the town's old bull ring. Beautiful spot!
Santo Domingo de la Calzada: camped at a large family resort-style campground outside of town a bit
Belorado: stayed in albergue dorm because none of the albergues with gardens in this town would allow us to camp
Ages: camped in front of village church, locals said we could, but it was noisy!
Burgos: stayed in albergue bed
Boadilla del Camino: camped at Albergue En el camino, an oasis!
Sahagun: camped at large family resort-style campground just past town
Leon: stayed in albergue bed
Villar de Mazarife: stayed in a bed at Albergue San Antonio de Padua because it was so highly recommended, and it was worth it!
Astorga: stayed in an albergue bed
Rabanal del Camino: camped at the municipal hostel, nice set up for campers
Riego de Ambros: free camping at a great restaurant with lovely mother/daughter owners called Meson de Jardin Andurina, about 1km past town.
Cacabelos: stayed in municipal albergue bed
La Faba: camped at German Ultreya hostel right as you come into the village
Baisa A Ferreira: camped at Albergue El Beso Ecologico, beautiful spot on the less walked route
Barbedelo: camped at Casa de Carmen for free but paid to use showers, amazing dinner here!
Airexe: camped for free at a restaurant at the far end of town
Ribadiso da Baixo: camped at the first albergue in town along the river
Monte do Gozo: stayed in an albergue bed because the town campground was closed, could've camped a few km before Monte do Gozo, can't remember which town it was but very close to Monte and right on the camino

Hope this is helpful for someone out there, I know the few tips I got beforehand were very helpful!

This is a wonderful list that I think should be pinned, as we often get questions about camping along the way.
It has also been MY experience that many albergues will allow you to camp in their yard, and use their facilities for a minimum fee.
This is the BEST option, in my opinion, and has worked well for me.
I avoid the perfume (as well as the snoring, etc, etc) but I don't have to look for a safe pace otherwise or worry about being illegal.
To this list I would add a few albergues where I've camped or have seen campers:
Orisson
Roncesvalles municipal
Zubiri municipal
San Anton ruins
San Nicholas - the wee one near the river
Hospital de Orbigo

Also, here is a list of camping facilities and information that might be helpful:
http://caminosantiago2.blogspot.com/2011/10/campsites-on-camino-santiago-de.html

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I camped about 60% of the time. Also stayed in some of the interesting Alburgues and used Hotels in the big cities. Never had any problems in finding camp sites. If on a tight budget it is possible to camp every night.
Remember the golden rules, leave only footprints.

...Do you regularly let strangers sleep in your yard at home? ...

Yes people have camped on our land (Dad had two 35-acre forest lots). For generations, the hiking/cross country skiing/snowshoeing path passed through land because there is a spring that never freezes so people could get fresh water. Very strange to see a nail and cup-on-a-string hanging 6 to 10 feet off the ground when we went out in the summer (that would have been the snow level in the winter!) If they needed to camp as well, they were welcome as long as they were clean and did no damage.

People have different reasons for wanting to stay in an Albergue, a hotel, wanting to camp, or wanting to combine the experiences. Personally, I would choose camping over sleeping with a bunch of people in the same room anyday. I love seeing the night sky, I only need about 4 hours of sleep per night and would want to avoid waking others if I get up, etc.

Just one point to consider: There is nothing like 'free land' in continental Europe. Every piece of land belongs to somebody and that somebody has he right to decide if they want to have people camping there or not. Buen Camino, SY

In big parts of Europe "every mans right" is stronger than private ownership of land. In those countries the landowner cannot chase away campers, if they are otherwise following the rules.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.