• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Tents at Orrison ?

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy-Santiago 2012-13; +++; Somport-Burgos 2023
I was fooling around on google maps, following the route from SJPDP and noticed at Orrison a bunch of tents set up behind the building. Does anyone know if this was overflow or if that many people were carrying tents?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have seen tents at Orisson, but I would contact them to make sure beforehand that it is ok.

I carried a tent from Geneva, it was very useful in France, (freecamping and there were lots of campsites). On the Camino Frances it wasn't usefull. The Alberques were cheap and if/when I wanted/had to sleep outside I just used a rollmat because it was so warm. Your choice.

Davey

I'm sorry if my question wasn't clear. I don't carry a tent on my caminos. My question was meant to ask, do the tents belong to Orisson and they use them as overflow?

It the weather was good, a sleepout there would be really nice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm sorry if my question wasn't clear. I don't carry a tent on my caminos. My question was meant to ask, do the tents belong to Orisson and they use them as overflow?

It the weather was good, a sleepout there would be really nice.

No, I don't think they have their own tents, sorry for the misunderstanding

Buen Camino
Davey

in 2005 I spend a night in Orisson and that was in a tent behind the house. It was lovely, I remember waking up in the middle of the night watching the stars.
I wasn't the only one in a tent that night so I guess it is for a overflow of guests.
Buen Camino to you.

Orisson used to have their own tents (double occupancy) for a few years, with very comfy matresses. You still had to pay for half-board plan, but it was a few euros cheaper. I slept very well in that tent. Unfortunately the tent option disappeared, also from their webpage.
See the internet archive: the webpage from 2010 vs webpage from 2011.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
In May 2012 there were overflow tents set up behind the main building. They also accommodated guests on the floor in the building across the street (under the terrace) and in another building on the left before you get to the main building. If those accommodations are no longer available, perhaps Jean-Jacques has downsized the operation.

I was fooling around on google maps, following the route from SJPDP and noticed at Orrison a bunch of tents set up behind the building. Does anyone know if this was overflow or if that many people were carrying tents?
it is an over flow when the hostal is full.

I shared a tent in Orisson in 2010 having booked accommodation there using email and PayPal. The guy I shared the tent with arrived on spec and got the last place.
If the tents are still there and the dorm is full you will be given a place in a tent.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi NorthernLight. By the time we got to Roncesvalles, we had to stay in the overflow accommodations, but they weren't tents and were like railway boxcars! There were four sets of bunkbeds in the room which had one door and one window, and we also had to use temporary bathrooms which offered cold showers, so not exactly ideal for our first night spent on the Camino, (after looking forward to staying in the main building, after hearing how wonderful it is!) but still, we were thankful to have a roof over our heads and a great meal. There were also tents set up, but in this case they were brought by the pilgrims themselves who brought their dogs along and the peregrina who was walking with her donkey because animals aren't allowed in the albergues. We had hoped to sleep under the stars one night, but alas, it didn't happen.

Buen Camino!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.