Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Terraced vineyards

alaskadiver

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017-Camino Primitivo
April 2019-Camino de Invierno
Which stage, or specifically which town is the terraced vineyards? I’m in O Barco now. We may have to skip some areas so he can take a rest day. Tomorrow we’re in the casa rural that’s just outside A Rua. How long is the walk or should I get him a taxi when we arrive. I guess this was his year to have foot problems. My plantar fasciitis hasn’t acted up thanks to wearing boots this time and not trail hikers.
Thanks

Irene

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Irene,
If you are in barco now the walk to A Rua is easy, we did it in pouring rain, nice and flat a lucky place to have rain.The terraced vinyards are the walk down and back up from Belesar. The walk from A Rua to Quiroga has no services and from Montefurado starts some real off path walking so that could be tough for him. Good luck, I'll check in this evening, long day for us.
MaryEllen

Hi Irene,
If you are in barco now the walk to A Rua is easy, we did it in pouring rain, nice and flat a lucky place to have rain.The terraced vinyards are the walk down and back up from Belesar. The walk from A Rua to Quiroga has no services and from Montefurado starts some real off path walking so that could be tough for him. Good luck, I'll check in this evening, long day for us.
MaryEllen
Road walking is what aggravated the pain.
I’ll look in the guide to see what stage Belesar is in.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Road walking is what aggravated the pain.
I’ll look in the guide to see what stage Belesar is in.
The walk up and down from Belesar is on old Roman roads so not road walking but the incline is extreme. The walk up and down Monte Faro is definitely road walking. Again good luck, anything I can do to help.

I can vouch for the incline. The 2,000 year old terraced vineyards are indeed beautiful.

Just go slow and take your time walking down, into or up out of Belesar. Once out of this river valley the terrain is undulating. However, there is still a fair amount of road walking. But, traffic is nil.

I saw it as morning fog and mist was burning off. I was at the top of the climb out of the valley. What a view!

I can vouch for the incline. The 2,000 year old terraced vineyards are indeed beautiful.

Just go slow and take your time walking down, into or up out of Belesar. Once out of this river valley the terrain is undulating. However, there is still a fair amount of road walking. But, traffic is nil.

I saw it as morning fog and mist was burning off. I was at the top of the climb out of the valley. What a view!
Inclines aren’t a problem. We’re experienced hikers. The problem with his foot was caused by an insole that basically bruised the side of his heel and causes pain particularly on asphalt. He’s got it under control now. I think we’re going get a ride directly out of A Rua to avoid the road walking. We walked all day today from O Barco to A Rua on asphalt and it was basically an unnecessary walk. Didn’t get any pretty views until just outside A Rua.
We talked with locals and they agree that a direct ride to Belesar is the way to go. Avoid the 8-10 km of road walking with no views. Then continue from there to Quiroga. We’re not here to road march :).

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi again,
Belesar is between monforte and Chantada. You could skip ahead tomorrow to Montefurado then I think under 20 to Quiroga. I do have to say that every day has road walking.....especially today for us from Lalin to Ponte Ulla, to Silleda was OK but after I would say at least 80 percent was on asfalt.

Hi again,
Belesar is between monforte and Chantada. You could skip ahead tomorrow to Montefurado then I think under 20 to Quiroga. I do have to say that every day has road walking.....especially today for us from Lalin to Ponte Ulla, to Silleda was OK but after I would say at least 80 percent was on asfalt.
Oh yeah, I was getting bendillo and belesar mixed up. Yeah everyday does have road walking. We jut go slow and take breaks to let his bruised foot rest as it heals.

The terraced vineyards are dramatic at Belesar as you cross the bridge over the River Miño. The Camino then climbs steeply to Chantada. The winery Via Romana is next to the Camino as you climb up to Chantada. You can stop there,admire the views and taste some wines. Martin will show you around although not much English is spoken.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
The terraced vineyards are dramatic at Belesar as you cross the bridge over the River Miño. The Camino then climbs steeply to Chantada. The winery Via Romana is next to the Camino as you climb up to Chantada. You can stop there,admire the views and taste some wines. Martin will show you around although not much English is spoken.
Good info! Thank you.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...
Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts: We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back