• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Terrain near Conques

NualaOC

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
A few and hopefully lots more.
A question for those who have walked the Le Puy route and can recall the stages before and after Conques.....

We're going to France for a few days next month and meeting up with a Camino friend who is walking from Le Puy. It's likely that we'll meet him in or near Conques and depending on how the timings work out, we might be able to walk one or two stages with him.

So, here's my question: We don't want to bring all of our usual Camino kit, especially the walking poles, for just one or two days of walking on a tourist trip. However, if there's a compelling reason to bring the poles for the stage/s immediately before or after Conques, we'll do so, or share a pair. Any advice from those of you who know this terrain? Specifically, are there any tricky descents?

Thanks in anticipation!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, for me the answer is: Yes. There is a steep descent into and out of Conques and the village itself feels like it is on a 45 degree angle!

Well, for me the answer is: Yes. There is a steep descent into and out of Conques and the village itself feels like it is on a 45 degree angle!

Thanks @Kanga, that's very helpful. I always find the descents much trickier than the ascents!
I hope that your heel is getting better - sounds like you've had quite an ordeal.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The descent into Conques is memorable in a positive way: the mysterious village is revealed step by step as you descend into the gorge that shielded it from the assaults of history. The ascent leaving Conques is memorable in a negative way: that first step is nearly a meter high. The landscape thereafter can be a bit forgettable as well.

So finding a place a day or two ahead to Conques to meet up with your party may be the way to go. Then take transport to Figeac for a rail connection outbound.

The descent into Conques is memorable in a positive way: the mysterious village is revealed step by step as you descend into the gorge that shielded it from the assaults of history. The ascent leaving Conques is memorable in a negative way: that first step is nearly a meter high. The landscape thereafter can be a bit forgettable as well.
So finding a place a day or two ahead to Conques to meet up with your party may be the way to go. Then take transport to Figeac for a rail connection outbound.

Thanks @Kitsambler, that's good information - especially about the train connections from Figeac. I see that there's a direct train from Figeac to Toulouse, which would be very handy for our return journey.

My memory of the descent into Conques is a bit blurry, so I won't comment on that. However, there is a steep descent when leaving Conques followed by a long, steep ascent. I also seem to recall a short but very steep climb leaving Decazeville on that same day. I remember that I was pretty knackered by the time I arrived at Livinhac at the end of the day.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We don't want to bring all of our usual Camino kit, especially the walking poles, for just one or two days of walking on a tourist trip.

Hi, my sister and I picked up sticks in the forests to help us with the tricky sections.
Jill

My memory of the descent into Conques is a bit blurry, so I won't comment on that. However, there is a steep descent when leaving Conques followed by a long, steep ascent. I also seem to recall a short but very steep climb leaving Decazeville on that same day. I remember that I was pretty knackered by the time I arrived at Livinhac at the end of the day.

Thank you @Doogman, that's good to know!

Hi, my sister and I picked up sticks in the forests to help us with the tricky sections.
Jill
Thanks Jill, now why didn't I think of that?! A simple and sensible solution.

A hospitalier at the big Abbaye Ste. Foy suggested a short cut to Decazeville. This consisted of a steep downward descent and a very steep and long uphill ascent just as Doogman described. This ascent offers lovely views of Conques as it recedes into the valley. But then there is a lot of road walking and, when we walked it several years ago, at least two hard to decipher which-way-to-go intersections. A French group with whom I was walking were equally baffled by which route to take.

On a subsequent trip I took the afternoon bus to Decazeville. This leaves from in front of the tourist office. It may continue to Figeac. I am sure if you email the tourist office in Conques you can find out about this transport. I have also read that there is a daily bus to Rodez from Conques. However, Rome2rio says this bus operates just once a week. Another question for the tourist office.

My wife and I visited Albi which is a very interesting place for about 48 hours and it's midway between Rodez and Toulouse or you can take a train there from Toulouse. There you'll find the Toulouse Lautrec Museum and the famous brick cathedral.

Bon chemin!

Tom

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back