A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

The big map o the Caminos de Santiago

Test of the new forum version

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
I like the "Similar threads" feature [at the bottom of the conversation], also noticed the "Up Arrow" next to the member's name on quoted posts [example above quoting the original post from Ivar], you click the arrow and it will take you to the quoted post [I don't know if this is a new feature or I totally missed it on the previous software version]. Already then, so far this upgrade is working. To all caminantes, buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Camino(s) past & future
August to September 2016
Ivar
This is a test.. can someone please respond to this to see if things work as they should?

Thank you!
Ivar
I know others have already responded, but I just wanted to also say thank you Ivar for all you do!

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Go to bed and rest, Ivar.
The calendar can wait!
Thanks for all you do to keep this going so smoothly (even if you have disappeared the expressive old emojis and replaced them with the not-as-nice kind....)!

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
As I turn on the forum site address on google, a phony iPhone advert is saying I have won the phone pops up.
Due to the added numbers going to the site instead of through the app, it might be some ruse that has developed on your page .
just wanted to draw your att to the fact....

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
As I turn on the forum site address on google, a phony iPhone advert is saying I have won the phone pops up.
Due to the added numbers going to the site instead of through the app, it might be some ruse that has developed on your page .
just wanted to draw your att to the fact....
I don’t think this message is from me... could you take a screen shot and send it to me? Ivar@casaivar.com

Stivandrer

Camino(s) past & future
Must consult my allknowing son of mine, he knows how to do it !

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I have the calendar now - Thank you!
So have I tonight. Thank you Ivar
I also have a notice on posts on my kindle fire saying (for example) 'page 1 of 3' and a nice little double arrow to jump forward when there are several pages on a thread. However on my phone I cannot see any way except scrolling down hundreds of posts. Am I missing something?

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
So have I tonight. Thank you Ivar
I also have a notice on posts on my kindle fire saying (for example) 'page 1 of 3' and a nice little double arrow to jump forward when there are several pages on a thread. However on my phone I cannot see any way except scrolling down hundreds of posts. Am I missing something?
There are a lot of posts on a page... I think 100.

On the computer:
Then at the top and bottom, you can go to the next page...

On the phone:
At the top there is a "Jump to New" link.. it brings you to your first unread message with one tap. At the bottom, you can go to the next pages.

Hope this helps,
Ivar

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
There are a lot of posts on a page... I think 100.

On the computer:
Then at the top and bottom, you can go to the next page...

On the phone:
At the top there is a "Jump to New" link.. it brings you to your first unread message with one tap. At the bottom, you can go to the next pages.

Hope this helps,
Ivar
'Jump to' on computer; and >> sign on Kindle; nothing at the top on the phone, which always goes to the first post of a thread. The only symbol that moves the page looks like a flash of lightening and goes back to the previous page. This is whether I am logged in or not. I have not scrolled right to the bottom of over 100 posts to see if I can get to the next page as it takes too long, and would not want to have to do so when threads get over 200 etc.
Do other phone users have the same problem. I am using an Alcatel Android phone with Chrome browser.

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
No problems viewing multiple pages when using the phone sideways as explained on my previous post. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
No problems viewing multiple pages when using the phone sideways as explained on my previous post. Good luck y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
Thank you, but not on my phone. It just expands the writing onto less lines. :(

TaijiPilgrim

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2011), Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2017), Camino Muxia (2017)
I no longer get the daily forum posts in my email. I tried resubscribing but so far still don't receive this subscription. Miss reading the forum with my morning coffee.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Camino Inglés 2018

Now: http://egeria.house/
Not sure if anybody has mentioned it so far, but copy and paste in PMs doesn't work well for me. It will paste the first link/text I want to post fine, but when I want to post another one it simply posted the first one (cache issue?) It works fine on other website, I tried it ... BC SY

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
Can now see 'jump to' when I am logged in :) whichever way phone is turned. Thank you.
Edit to add:- It disappears again when I log out but that isn't a problem.

Last edited:

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
In reference to SY's note [copy and paste in PMs doesn't work well], I have tried posting several links into a PM and it works on my side [using my laptop], is anyone else having this issue? To all caminantes, buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, Le Puy, Rota Vicentina, De Soulac, Norte, Madrid-Salv-Primitivo
even if you have disappeared the expressive old emojis and replaced them with the not-as-nice kind....
I agree with @VNwalking , all the smileys look exactly the same to me, all in the same colour. I have to hover over each one to see which is which.

Otherwise, Ivar, I love the new forum.
Jill

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
** DONATE ** Already then, I can now see the "Donate Option" [can't miss the nice looking piggy bank icon] on the right side of the screen on my laptop and at the bottom of the screen on my cell phone. I like it, thank you Ivar. To all caminantes, buena suerte y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPdP-Burgos, 2015)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Sarria, 2018)
Sarria-Santiago (Oct. 2018)
Help! Are bookmarks back yet? I can't find mine, and I don't see any way to bookmark something new.

Also, I found the calendar the other day, but now it's lost again. I have "calendar events" at the bottom of the screen, but can't link to the calendar, just to each individual post.

I'm on a Galaxy 6, using Chrome.

Overall, I like the clean look of the new format. It will just take some time to get used to where everything is now. Thanks for all your hard work, Ivar.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
I never really look for fixed things, but reading your post, Bala, I saw bookmarks on my ipad, so let’s see if this is of any use to you. I just keep pressing new posts to see what’s new. 5523EFB1-F440-48BF-A059-895B1E4B4EAC.png 5523EFB1-F440-48BF-A059-895B1E4B4EAC.png

Stivandrer

Camino(s) past & future
..I am always wondering that the IT systems that we invented to save time, have web people toiling for days on end and burning the midnight oil to make it work properly....

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (SJPdP-Burgos, 2015)
Camino Frances (Burgos-Sarria, 2018)
Sarria-Santiago (Oct. 2018)
Thanks, Ivar and Kirkie.
Kirkie, my screen doesn't show "bookmarks" but it does have "report" with 3 little dots after it. Turns out that's a dropdown menu, and "bookmark" is on it. Yay! Thanks for pointing me there.

No problem, Ivar. It sounds like this round of flu is taking down everyone. Hope you're all better soon .

Edit: the menu includes edit, delete and bookmark, in case anyone else is searching.

Camino(s) past & future
Frances(2006) portugues(2013)San Salvador (2017)
..I am always wondering that the IT systems that we invented to save time, have web people toiling for days on end and burning the midnight oil to make it work properly....
As ever was, Stivandrer. Years ago, working with women in a second chance education project, I used an article that showed the new inventions after WW2 that were supposed to be time savers for women in the home... you can fill in the gap!

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
"Find your threads/Threads with your posts/Unanswered threads"

Of all the new features I give the "Find your threads" feature "two thumbs up." Now I don't have to search the whole forum looking for one of my old post. To all caminantes, good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

hel&scott

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2004 St Jean - Santiago, 2008 &18 Seville - Finesterre, 2010 Ferrol - Lisbon, 2012 from Cartehenga.
I like that the "likes" tally has been removed from the profile summary as it helps focus more on what is said then clocking up posts and likes. But I do miss the member location, but as others have pointed out you can always find it by hovering over the profile pic. Don't know if it is just me, but I have resorted to using the search function more to find posts.

Fletchonides

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP - Pamplona (2014)
Pamplona - Burgos (2016)
Burgos - Leon (June 2017)
Leon - SdC (June 2018)
Overall, the look is much cleaner and I like it much better. I'm using it on my PC. I would echo Alexwalkers comment about the pictures, I tended to decide whether to look at the pictures based on the pop-up description, and now I can't:

@ivar : Two things: In the "Random Media" stripe, I miss the image text when hovering over each picture. As of now, you need to actually bring up the picture to get that info.
I think I like the Related Threads, but it does show a lot of old threads, which may or may not be a good thing. Similar threads on this posts show a 'Possible Forum Display Bug' from 2006, and a 'New Pilgrim Book Section' from 2007, both of which are probably no longer relevant, but some other discussions would be. However I understand the challenge of trying to 'related items'. I would like something like:
'Show me related items but exclude older threads, except where I would find the thread interesting and still relevant', which I know is impossible to implement.

Many thanks Ivar, for all your effort and hard work. We do appreciate it.

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
Heads Up. Today I caught myself ready to post a reply to a thread dating back to 2006 [I did not click the "post reply" button]. The new feature "Similar threads" is great. However, some of the threads displayed are several years old [2006, 2007, 2008, etc.]. When we post a new reply to the old threads we should not expect to receive feedback from the original poster [some of the original posters are no longer active members], note, I don't see anything wrong with posting replies to old posts, we just need to be aware that the original poster may not be around to provide feedback. To all caminantes, buena suerte, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
@ivar, I just noticed one thing that no longer 'works.' When you hover over the random photos, the caption no longer appears. Is this intentional, or is it a glitch?
After a little time, with this new version, I'm finding the only thing I really miss (besides the old emojis!!) is the list that used to be on the right-hand side of recent posts. You can access them in 'what's new,' but the list is not out there to be seen in a glance.
Otherwise, I really like some of the new functions (especially similar threads, which will hopefully reduce the repetitive basic questions). Well done and takker og bukker, Ivar!

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
The new layout is working well, thank you @ivar. I like the idea of locking the old 'similar threads' when they have had no responses for 5+ years (Discussion in 'Old Posts'). Being able to see the old posts and read them is very helpful IMO to us long term members as well as new ones - searches would not always show up in the same way.

Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
@ivar : Looking better and better, but please move the buttons for "Forum rules", "Camino Store" and "Donate" above the "Most downloaded resoures": It is all about business, and the need to keep the most important things "above the fold". And place them in the order "Camino store", "Donate" and "Forum rules" IMHO ;)

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
I miss the old feature where you could see which threads you started? Or do I overlook something? Now you can only see your general posts but not specifically the ones you started.

Sailor

Donante Vitalicio
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Infinito
I miss the old feature where you could see which threads you started? Or do I overlook something? Now you can only see your general posts but not specifically the ones you started.
On the top left side of the screen, below the forum logo, next to "New posts" you will find the feature "Find threads" and there you have the following options: Your threads, Threads with your posts, Unanswered threads." Go there and you will find ALL your posts [check "Your Threads"], this is a GREAT new feature! Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

SabineP

Camino = Empathy + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
On the top left side of the screen, below the forum logo, next to "New posts" you will find the feature "Find threads" and there you have the following options: Your threads, Threads with your posts, Unanswered threads." Go there and you will find ALL your posts [check "Your Threads"], this is a GREAT new feature! Good luck, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Aha, Mil Gracias Sailor!

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I really am adjusting well to the new forum layout, but for some reason I am unable to use the imoji feature most of the time. I click on the smiley face and it does nothing. Anyone else had this problem? (I only use my Android smartphone, am wondering if it could be the problem.)

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I really am adjusting well to the new forum layout, but for some reason I am unable to use the imoji feature most of the time. I click on the smiley face and it does nothing. Anyone else had this problem? (I only use my Android smartphone, am wondering if it could be the problem.)
I am working on this. Will have emoji support ready some time next week

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I am noticing that on my tablet (Kindle Fire) some of the posts open at the very bottom of the page (older threads and other links) so that I have to scroll upwards to find the new/latest posts. This is when I am logged-in, looking in new/latest posts and know that the thread has been updated since my last visit. It does not happen on my computer so appears to just affect the tablet.
Anyone else notice the same problem? Has anyone else commented on this @ivar ?

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
It should open on your first unread post in a thread.. this might be a ways down on the page..
On most pages it still does, but this past week or so it goes right to the very bottom instead on several pages -and misses out the first unread post. This is mostly in the Norte and Primitivo sections of the forum.

Last edited:

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
hmmm... not sure why..
I edited in that it is mostly in the Norte and Primitivo sections of the forum, your answer crossed with the edit :)
Would it help if I make a note over the next day or so of exactly which threads seem to be affected and then post the list here? or would you prefer a PM?
Saludos and thanks.

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
I edited in that it is mostly in the Norte and Primitivo sections of the forum, your answer crossed with the edit :)
Would it help if I make a note over the next day or so of exactly which threads seem to be affected and then post the list here? or would you prefer a PM?
Saludos and thanks.
Not sure it is a problem with any individual thread... but if it is not a big problem, why not. It might give me a clue

Tia Valeria

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Pt Norte/Pmtvo 2010
C. Inglés 2011
C. Primitivo '12
Norte-C. de la Reina '13
C. do Mar-C. Inglés '15
I have found that it seems to happen when I open in a new tab. Using the 'to top' arrow and 'jump to me post' is the quickest way to manage. Just opening the thread from the list of new posts goes straight there, then hit back or the symbol to get back to new posts.

Tonight I have had these posts go straight to the bottom in the new tabs
@Radosveta 's live from the Camino - Live from Primitivo
and @Al the optimist 's Walking the Ingles at Easter.

Sorry I don't know how to copy and paste to make a link using the tablet

How to get a certificate of completion - started yesterday 'Santiago de Compostela' section works OK in new tab , so some posts work

[Edit - links made on computer]

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015); Camino Norte/Primitivo (2016); Camino Frances (2017); Le Puy (June 2018)
I still am unable to use the emoji's on my Android smartphone. I also do not consistently get "alerts" when new comments are posted on threads I have participated in...very hit and miss, no criticism, just saying.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 11 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.6%
  • March

Votes: 35 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 115 14.6%
  • May

Votes: 192 24.4%