Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Testimonial from the Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
I am in the process of updating the forum guide to the Camino Invierno (and will soon be bugging you for comments and suggestions ;)) but I wanted to share some of the comments that came in from a pilgrim who walked in June this year:

I completed the Invierno. I was so proud to have done it all, and to have done it alone; in fact, I never saw another Pilgrim for 10 days and then only a few on the last day into Santiago. If I had stayed on the Frances I would have returned home unsatisfied, but having walked the Invierno, I found all I had hoped for. I have so many stories of kind locals and you already know about the peace and solitude and stunning scenery.

This pilgrim also made her peace with the dog issue:

I encountered so many loose dogs and very nearly gave up due to a fear that was becoming irrational. I finally, on day 3, talked myself through the facts: these dogs are here to guard cows/sheep/property. If I am not threatening the cows/sheep/property, then they will not attack me. No farmer would let a human-killer dog run free. So I started to talk to each dog and told them what a good job they were doing protecting their cows/sheep/property and my fear left me. By the end I felt like the dog whisperer. I read on the forum that someone gave up several days in because of the dogs. It isn't necessary. They are intimidating, but they are not trained to attack innocent people walking down the road. So, perhaps a reminder about that would be helpful.

It's clear that the new version of the guide has to mention the dogs, but I am trying to find a way to minimize the likelihood that people will fall into irrational fear, so maybe I will just quote these comments verbatim. Buen camino, Laurie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Absolutely use this pilgrims words and story. I am very impressed with how they overcame an irrational fear and it became a strength for them. What a great story. Makes me want to walk that path next year.

Absolutely use this pilgrims words and story. I am very impressed with how they overcame an irrational fear and it became a strength for them. What a great story. Makes me want to walk that path next year.

Well, MichaelB, I am going to have one bang-up guide for you to use in case you want to walk this route. I have just started working on revisions of the 2015 version of the forum guide and see that I have detailed comments from three or four other pilgrims who walked it this year (as did I), so among all four of us we will be able to keep you on the straight and narrow. ;)

It is just a gorgeous camino, and has that real "camino feel," which is hard to define but easy to sense. Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I understand you; in fact, I think I understand all of your edits and really appreciate them. Thank you.

Please keep me in mind and I know your guide will enhance this new Way for me. I admire you interest and willingness to create this new guide.

Peace be unto you,

I was with the author, José D. Rūa Pérez, yesterday at Fairway, City of Culture, Santiago de Compostela (http://www.fairwaysantiago.com/) of the Spanish Guide called Guía del Camino de Invierno, second edition,June 2015 and the President of the Association of Friends of the Camino from Valedorras, Asusnción Arias Arias see
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1955159256977.76336.1782587608&type=3&theater and
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1955159256977.76336.1782587608&type=3&theater
She told me they are translating the Guide into English and will send a draft to me to proof-read hopefully fairly soon. I can send you a version so you can also utilise the information in your update.

I was with the author, José D. Rūa Pérez, yesterday at Fairway, City of Culture, Santiago de Compostela (http://www.fairwaysantiago.com/) of the Spanish Guide called Guía del Camino de Invierno, second edition,June 2015 and the President of the Association of Friends of the Camino from Valedorras, Asusnción Arias Arias see
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1955159256977.76336.1782587608&type=3&theater and
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...1955159256977.76336.1782587608&type=3&theater
She told me they are translating the Guide into English and will send a draft to me to proof-read hopefully fairly soon. I can send you a version so you can also utilise the information in your update.

Great news -- I used the Spanish version of the guide in 2010, but didn't bring it this year because it seemed kind of outdated. And once we get a good English language guide, our joint venture informal online guide in the Resources section will be able to fade into the sunset. I'm working on the 2016 update now, but it may be the last edition! :)

Hats off to Asun and her group, they are really working hard and it's been a long time coming.

p.s. As an aside, looks like the Xunta found a good use for the Cidade de Cultura, at least for a few days!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Great news -- I used the Spanish version of the guide in 2010, but didn't bring it this year because it seemed kind of outdated. And once we get a good English language guide, our joint venture informal online guide in the Resources section will be able to fade into the sunset. I'm working on the 2016 update now, but it may be the last edition! :)

Hats off to Asun and her group, they are really working hard and it's been a long time coming.

p.s. As an aside, looks like the Xunta found a good use for the Cidade de Cultura, at least for a few days!

Hi Laurie

I intend to walk the Invierno in the second half of June next year. I await the guide update with much anticipation! Thanks so much for all the hard work you do on this, and on other things.

Do you have plans to be in Santiago next year? I will be hanging around the place during May, and then at the end of June after I finish the Invierno.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

PS Go the Wallabies!

Most read last week in this forum

We’re scoping out accommodation on the Invierno, and @C clearly noticed that Pensión As Viñas is on booking. There is an annotation “new to booking.” Many of us stayed there before the albergue...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back