Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Testimonial from the Invierno

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, forum friends, I just received this little snippet from someone who walked the Invierno in October and who, like everyone else I know, loved it! Since you are probably tired of hearing me, Charrito and Kinky sing its praises, I am pasting it in for a new voice.

A short distance from the albergue in Ponferrada there’s a prominent signpost – right for the Camino Francés, left for the Camino de Invierno. The latter was traditionally a route for pilgrims when the heights of O Cebreiro were impassable due to snow. The seething masses went right, I went left and was the only pilgrim for nine days before the route joined the Via de la Plata outside Lalín, two days from Santiago. My reward was a delightfully diverse camino, from the remains of Roman gold mines at Las Médulas, along the Sil valley with a different view at evey turn, steeply down and then up to cross the Miño at Belesar, then over the highlands of Alto de Faro. A different Galicia, lots of grape vines on terraced hillsides, even olives, but the same timeless hamlets and tiny churches. Curious local folks. Few farm animals, so the pilgrim is spared both the pungent pong of drying dung and the need to watch his step. I enjoyed the dedicated hospitality of Asún in A Rúa, who has converted two rooms in her house for pilgrims, and of Manolo at Bar Mar in Sobradelo. As the only pilgrim I felt very special, very privileged. I felt special in a different way at the vast albergue in Quiroga where I became an Object of Curiosity to a large tour group, so that I felt like a zoo animal. Unfortunately, I wasn’t petted.

This is a camino of outstanding charm and historical and religious interest (e.g. the churches at Montefurado and Diomendi ), abundantly waymarked with a variety of signs thanks to the local associations and the recent efforts of the Xunta. Its authenticity was a matter of dispute but since it was certified in 2016 it can be expected to grow in popularity. It needs more albergues but plans are afoot in several places. Meanwhile, inexpensive accommodations are readily available in pensiones , casa rurales and bars. I never paid more than €20 for a bed thanks to special pilgrim rates and being out-of-season. It’s not an easy option, physically, but has plenty of corredoiras and farm tracks and relatively little asphalt, none of it with much traffic.

He also said the forum guide was great! AND sent me a bunch of updates. My 2018 Invierno guide folder is getting thicker. :)

Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I keep saying I want to walk this way (and a few others...maybe '19??)
Meanwhile this just whets my appetite...thanks for sharing!
The more clogged the Frances gets, the more likely this camino will get more pilgrim traffic. The uptick may be slow at first, but some day we'll be sitting in our rocking chairs reminiscing about when the Invierno was remote.:D

Hi @peregrina2000 - I'm leaving early January for a winter CF and would be coming into Ponferrada around the end of January. What are your thoughts about walking the CI in early Feb? I've downloaded your guide (2017 version) which is great btw! The geography and solitude are pros for me so the big question mark I have is accommodation availability. I love the idea of walking the winter camino in the winter and if you have any feedback or thoughts, I'd be very appreciative to hear them.
Thank you,
Jordon

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi @peregrina2000 - I'm leaving early January for a winter CF and would be coming into Ponferrada around the end of January. What are your thoughts about walking the CI in early Feb? I've downloaded your guide (2017 version) which is great btw! The geography and solitude are pros for me so the big question mark I have is accommodation availability. I love the idea of walking the winter camino in the winter and if you have any feedback or thoughts, I'd be very appreciative to hear them.
Thank you,
Jordon
Hi, Jordon,
You should look for @chinasky's posts. He walked last January. He has about 75 posts, all about the Invierno. You can get them by going to his profile page and clicking on postings or just do a search with just his name in the "posted by member" box.

His stages were Puente Domingo Flórez, A Rúa, Quiroga, Monforte Chantada, Rodeiro, Laxe, Casa Leiras, Santiago. (Casa Leiras is a rural albergue run by an Italian couple, very highly reviewed, so it must have been open in January. Chinasky is Italian and had some contacts with them).

It would be a long first day from Ponferrada to Puente, but the earlier stop in As Médulas might not be possible in January/February. That is the one place you might have trouble, since it is a totally tourist town. Maybe Casa Socorro is open, I am not sure. I would be happy to call some of these places to find out if they are open, and it would be good info for the updated guide!

A stop in As Médulas is definitely worth it. Walking around and seeing the place from the miradores and from down below will add 8 or 9 kms but so worth it. You could think about a first night stop in Borrenes, if places there are open, then walk through Medulas and visit it, and then continue on to Puente. All of the rest of the towns are not camino oriented or tourist oriented, so the accommodations are likely to all be open.

Let us know if you have questions, because the little forum band of Invierno veterans is quite passionate! Buen camino, Laurie

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
No, I'm not tired of hearing you ...

Thanks for the little snippet.
And I am looking forward to your 2018 Invierno guide.
Hi Laurie, That's right, we are never tired of hearing from you! Your expertise and helpful advise on so many of the less trodden routes is remarkable inded!

UPDATE: I just called Casa Socorro in As Médulas, and she assures me that she is open year round. I have stayed there and it was fine. The first time I walked the Invierno I couldn't find the place and spent a night in the Hotel Rural Agoga. Very nice but a bit pricey. They left out a nice breakfast for me as I was leaving early. Not sure if they are open in winter, but I have written to ask as well.

Phone for Casa Socorro: 34 987 422 858.

Hi, forum friends, I just received this little snippet from someone who walked the Invierno in October and who, like everyone else I know, loved it! Since you are probably tired of hearing me, Charrito and Kinky sing its praises, I am pasting it in for a new voice.

A short distance from the albergue in Ponferrada there’s a prominent signpost – right for the Camino Francés, left for the Camino de Invierno. The latter was traditionally a route for pilgrims when the heights of O Cebreiro were impassable due to snow. The seething masses went right, I went left and was the only pilgrim for nine days before the route joined the Via de la Plata outside Lalín, two days from Santiago. My reward was a delightfully diverse camino, from the remains of Roman gold mines at Las Médulas, along the Sil valley with a different view at evey turn, steeply down and then up to cross the Miño at Belesar, then over the highlands of Alto de Faro. A different Galicia, lots of grape vines on terraced hillsides, even olives, but the same timeless hamlets and tiny churches. Curious local folks. Few farm animals, so the pilgrim is spared both the pungent pong of drying dung and the need to watch his step. I enjoyed the dedicated hospitality of Asún in A Rúa, who has converted two rooms in her house for pilgrims, and of Manolo at Bar Mar in Sobradelo. As the only pilgrim I felt very special, very privileged. I felt special in a different way at the vast albergue in Quiroga where I became an Object of Curiosity to a large tour group, so that I felt like a zoo animal. Unfortunately, I wasn’t petted.

This is a camino of outstanding charm and historical and religious interest (e.g. the churches at Montefurado and Diomendi ), abundantly waymarked with a variety of signs thanks to the local associations and the recent efforts of the Xunta. Its authenticity was a matter of dispute but since it was certified in 2016 it can be expected to grow in popularity. It needs more albergues but plans are afoot in several places. Meanwhile, inexpensive accommodations are readily available in pensiones , casa rurales and bars. I never paid more than €20 for a bed thanks to special pilgrim rates and being out-of-season. It’s not an easy option, physically, but has plenty of corredoiras and farm tracks and relatively little asphalt, none of it with much traffic.

He also said the forum guide was great! AND sent me a bunch of updates. My 2018 Invierno guide folder is getting thicker. :)

Buen camino, Laurie
I loved your report. Sounds fascinating. Thanks so much. I certainly didn’t see that sign at the turn off, but then I was determined to climb to O Cebreiro. Thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hola Laurie, you've sold me. After the Norte next May and June 2018, the Invierno is on my list for 2019. I heard from t2andreo that he plans to do the route in March next year. Take care, I hope we cross paths next year.

I walked Camino de Invierno this year from 29th October till 8th of November.
I found it very pretty and solitaire , I didn't meet any pilgrims till day 10th the last journey to Santiago.
I was told that most people take a train after a few days of walking , they find it very hurt and very few facilities , there are journeys that you got no bar , no shops , no people , no fountains with water .

This is nothing to do with Camino Frances or Ruta de la Plata .
So if you do it be ready for something different, you would need to be aware that you might need water or food to go along for the day.
On the other hand is a wonderful Camino it you want to be alone on your own.
Beautiful landscapes , vineyards , beautiful river ( Sil ), friendly people whenever you find them .
You also will arrive to big village or towns , but still a lot need to be done , most places don't have and albergues because there is no pilgrims, and because there is no pilgrims they have no albergues.
It's a much adventure Camino than other !
My recommendations is go if you are a little bit adventurous ,( if you are not stay in other Caminos with more facilities and pilgrims.
Buen Camino!

I walked Camino de Invierno this year from 29th October till 8th of November.
I found it very pretty and solitaire , I didn't meet any pilgrims till day 10th the last journey to Santiago.
I was told that most people take a train after a few days of walking , they find it very hurt and very few facilities , there are journeys that you got no bar , no shops , no people , no fountains with water .

This is nothing to do with Camino Frances or Ruta de la Plata .
So if you do it be ready for something different, you would need to be aware that you might need water or food to go along for the day.
On the other hand is a wonderful Camino it you want to be alone on your own.
Beautiful landscapes , vineyards , beautiful river ( Sil ), friendly people whenever you find them .
You also will arrive to big village or towns , but still a lot need to be done , most places don't have and albergues because there is no pilgrims, and because there is no pilgrims they have no albergues.
It's a much adventure Camino than other !
My recommendations is go if you are a little bit adventurous ,( if you are not stay in other Caminos with more facilities and pilgrims.
Buen Camino!
Hi Pruden, I've had the Invierno tucked away in the back of my mind as a future possibility, but after reading your report I'm more apprehensive about considering it...especially when you live in Spain, obviously speak fluent Spanish (I know very little), yet you still found it to be quite a challenge overall. :oops:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
VERY INTERESTED for a short Camino in 2018 !

UPDATE: Just got an email from Hotel Rural Agoga, one of the private places in As Médulas, and they are also open through the winter. You can email or phone a few days ahead of time.

reservas@ruralagoga.com | Teléfono y FAX: 987 422 844 | Teléfono móvil: 699 722 488

It's definitely worth it to stop and spend at least a few hours walking around As Médulas. It is an other-worldly site, also a UNESCO world heritage site. The area is the remains of a Roman gold mining operation. Using the power of water channels running through the mountains, they essentially blew the innards out and As Médulas is what was left when they were done. Museum is very interesting, but I am not sure if it´s open in winter.

Most read last week in this forum

Day 1: Ponferrada to Villavieja As usual, life has a habit of changing plans so we found ourselves on the Invierno a month later than expected. Regardless though, we are happy to finally get...
If I leave Ponferrada early enough to arrive in Villavieja and spend some time at the castle Cornatel, can I leave the next day, spend some meaningful time beholding las Medulas and Orellan, and...
Hi all - a question for all you Invierno experts: We are starting the Invierno (finally!) tomorrow, but there’s a slight issue with our plan. My partner needs to be present for a work Zoom...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back