• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Testimony from a Caminoholic

Dennis D

Time of past OR future Camino
Francés - 2014
Francés - 2015
Francés - 2016
Francés - 2017
Francés - 2018
Francés - 2019
(2020 - ?)
Hello,

My name is Dennis D and I am a Caminoholic. Fortunately it is a positive addiction.

I became a Caminoholic when I finished my first Camino in 2014. It has been 24 days since I finished my last Camino.

Today, I just finished booking my airfare for my next Camino in 2018.

My wife and most of my local friends think I am nuts ! So, this forum is the only place where I can read about the experiences of others and how they deal with this issue.

They list me as a donating member but in reality I receive so much more than I give.

I am thankful to Ivar for this wonderful Forum.

Buen Camino !

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

My name is Dennis D and I am a Caminoholic. Fortunately it is a positive addiction.

I became a Caminoholic when I finished my first Camino in 2014. It has been 24 days since I finished my last Camino.

My wife and most of my local friends think I am nuts ! So, this forum is the only place where I can read about the experiences of others and how they deal with this issue.

They list me as a donating member but in reality I receive so much more than I give.

Buen Camino !

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
A selection of Camino Jewellery
They say admitting a problem is the the first step to cure. Well, I don't want to be cured...so I'm not a caminoholic, not me. No caminoholic here ;)

So shall I do Camino Madrid followed by Salvador/Primitivo or followed by Invieno in August? ;);););););););)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello,

Buen Camino !

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
A Caminoholic, an escapee from the daily grind, a lover of Spain or a person enjoying the inner journey of the Camino, I think I am all of this rolled into one. My only difficulty is living at the bottom of the world, or nearly, and I can't be in Spain to walk the Camino more often. Number four coming up in September. Buen Camino to all those who have this addiction.

Hello,

Buen Camino !
Hi Dennis. Deb and I are going in Sept to walk from Santiago/Finisterre/Muxia. Although we have done the CF twice, we never got farther than Santiago. Was the camino you just finished a cold as the 2016?

If you display any or all of my symptoms, do not seek help, there is nothing to be done, you are a late stage caminoholic! I'm afraid it is terminal, you shall always seek the camino.

1. 20% of your day is spent thinking of things other than the camino.
  2. You've joined a local camino group and spend your weekends 'on camino' around your home town (Vancouver Camino Pilgrims).
  3. You are planning your next three Caminos.
  4. You go everywhere with your walking poles.
  5. You sleep in a sleeping bag liner.
  6. You put Vaseline on your feet each morning before putting on your socks.
  7. You drink nothing but cafe con leche, vino tinto, vino blanc or cerveza (sometimes aqua).
I'm sure there are other signs of this wonderful addiction, feel free to add your own.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I read this forum two or three times a day, revisit my "sleeping bag or sheet?" conundrum daily, have resigned myself to the iffy spring or fall conditions rather than a hot summer Camino. I wrestle daily about backpack size (38 l. size small?) and hiking boots (waterproof or no?), packing details, and more than anything... keeping my pack at 13.4 lbs.? I just know, at all, when I’ll be there!

If you display any or all of my symptoms, do not seek help, there is nothing to be done, you are a late stage caminoholic! I'm afraid it is terminal, you shall always seek the camino.

1. 20% of your day is spent thinking of things other than the camino.
  2. You've joined a local camino group and spend your weekends 'on camino' around your home town (Vancouver Camino Pilgrims).
  3. You are planning your next three Caminos.
  4. You go everywhere with your walking poles.
  5. You sleep in a sleeping bag liner.
  6. You put Vaseline on your feet each morning before putting on your socks.
  7. You drink nothing but cafe con leche, vino tinto, vino blanc or cerveza (sometimes aqua).
I'm sure there are other signs of this wonderful addiction, feel free to add your own.
I'am with you in 5 out of 7 .
The 4 and 6 I don't do .

And for the 3 I go for 30%.

Wish you well,Peter.

HEY! It ain't easy being a Caminoholic! To get to sleep I count Galician Pulpo jumping over a fence.
I published a Camino themed Journal, I make Camino jewelry, and have a power point Camino presentation. Host other Pilgrims and lead hikes. Continually studying route guides and training for the next one. But, most importantly is trying to live each day in the "Spirit" of the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
And hello from another Caminoholic.....I think that all of us who have walked the Camino, be it once or be it 5 or 6 or more times, are all Caminoholics in one form or another. Hope to see you along the way at some point. Smiles to you.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hello,

Buen Camino !

My truth has been spoken. - sandi

Thanks for sharing, Dennis

A retired Colonel from the French Foreign legion told me, "Be careful, you'll get Camino Fever." We were walking in Basque country.

I told him, "Don't worry, I already have it." That was 2008. I was walking my third Camino. I have walked three more since. sigh...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I heard that fever can be "fatal". If so, when it is my time to go, I would have no problem leaving this earth as one of it's victims.....

I read about a 12[00000] step program to help relieve me of my addiction... I tried it twice and can tell you it only made my 'situation' worse but perhaps third time will be a charm!
Now that is FUNNY.................Good one !

Hi
Being a caminoholic I need to be ready in case I wake up any morning needing a fix.
I of course sleep with my camino pack ready by the side of my bed at home.
Fortunately I can be at Heathrow in thirty minutes to catch the 8.35 flight to Bilbao , get the bus to Logrono and be on the Camino in the afternoon.
Ultreia!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back