• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Testing before flight

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I know I’ve seen threads on here about where in Santiago to get tested if you are leaving for the United States the next day. Can somebody direct me to that thread please because I need to get a test in Santiago the day that I fly to Madrid because the following day I fly to the USA. I’ve done a search and I cannot find it

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can test at the airport in Santiago or you can schedule a test in the Madrid airport.
Hope this helps?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I know I’ve seen threads on here about where in Santiago to get tested if you are leaving for the United States the next day. Can somebody direct me to that thread please because I need to get a test in Santiago the day that I fly to Madrid because the following day I fly to the USA. I’ve done a search and I cannot find it
I copied this for reference a few weeks ago : 1652826860557.png

I made an appointment ahead of time and had mine done at Santiago Airport. We arrived several hours early and there was no one in line so we asked if we could get ours done before our appointment time and had results in 15 minutes. The seating area outside the testing room was a nice, quiet place to hang out until we could board our flight.

Ok. I called the airport and they are open from seven in the morning until 2 PM every day, even holidays. So I can go there. Now I need to figure out what type of test I need in order to fly back to the United States. I have been vaccinated and boosted. Do I need a rapid antigen test or do I need a PCR test or my goodness this is confusing

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I made an appointment ahead of time and had mine done at Santiago Airport. We arrived several hours early and there was no one in line so we asked if we could get ours done before our appointment time and had results in 15 minutes. The seating area outside the testing room was a nice, quiet place to hang out until we could board our flight.
So is it just the rapid antigen test that I need?

Ok. I called the airport and they are open from seven in the morning until 2 PM every day, even holidays. So I can go there. Now I need to figure out what type of test I need in order to fly back to the United States. I have been vaccinated and boosted. Do I need a rapid antigen test or do I need a PCR test or my goodness this is confusing
@Anniesantiago ...it's the Rapid Antigen Test that is required for entry back to US, within 24 hours of flight ( which is most probable if you are at the airport, providing you don't have a 23 hour layover in Madrid! ) ( and just to clarify for others, it can not be a home test )

Annie, off you go. I have been following you, and happy to see you at this end of your pilgrimage. Not trek, not walk, not hike. This Forum is about a pilgrimage.
A lot has been happening. Take your space on the return journey. All will be well. I presume you have heard of the wise woman who is often credited as the author of these words. Juliana of Norwich... 👣 💐

Last edited by a moderator:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Do I need a rapid antigen test or do I need a PCR test
Rapid antigen or PCR, but most people opt for the rapid antigen because of the timing of the test.
@go ...it's the Rapid Antigen Test that is required for entry back to US, within 24 hours of flight
Not strictly 24 hours. You can do the test anytime the day before or the day of the flight. For example if the flight is at 5 pm on Thursday the test can be taken beginning anytime from Wednesday morning onwards.

You can get a test in the Madrid airport when you arrive. Search fly COVID test center.

I have just gone through this process. You can schedule an appointment for a time after you arrive in Madrid. The process is right at the airport. If you are flying Iberia, it is in that terminal. Best of luck. Elin

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
T4 testing at Madrid airport is fast, cheap and easy. Cheaper if you pre-book and pay. Rapid antigen (all you need currently) € 30 with appointment, €50 without. There’s a nice coffee shop right next to it, if you want to wait for printed results, otherwise they email it to you. Testing hours 2 AM to 20:25.
Barajas COVID testing: Recoletas Arquímea T4 2nd Floor/public area. +34 91 826 77 42 Also located at T2.
Flycovidtestcenter.com
Buen Camino home!

I can't speak about Santiago, but I tested at the FLY COVID clinic at the Madrid airport for 30 euro just 5 days ago; results in about 10 minutes, so perhaps you could test there depending upon your flight time. If you just go to the Madrid airport site, and search for COVID testing, it will direct you. You can make an appointment online, which I recommend, because they take you immediately when you show up. They send the results to your email in about 10 minutes, along with a code to scan for boarding. There are two sites at MAD - One in terminal 1, and one in Terminal 4, which is most likely where you'll fly out from to the US - we used this clinic.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Have a backup plan in case you test positive. This happened to me, and I am stuck in Madrid for a while (until I test negative, or I am 10 days past my positive result). I don’t have to quarantine, but there are restrictions on what I can do.
Coincidentally, this article just popped up in my in box:

Although it is written by someone from the United States, a lot of the author's points would apply to most travellers.

Buen healthy camino!

What kind of restrictions? So what is the process in 10 days?
I can get around, but have to social distance and wear a P2 (N95) mask outside my room. The hotel will not clean (or enter) my room until I am negative. I get room service food delivered to my room, and wait until they leave to open the door and get the food. If I walk to a local restaurant, I have to get takeout. Spain doesn’t require you to quarantine, but they are pretty serious about the other requirements. Thy are available online.

To board a plane for the United States, I have two options: a negative COVID test, or a certificate of recovery which means it has been ten full days since the positive test. After 10 days you can still test positive (something that can happen for months after you are infected), but you are considered to not be a risk to others anymore.

There are a number of local clinics that will produce the certificate for you; they will even come to where you are with their mobile lab. All you will need is your positive test result, your passport or other document, and (from what I can tell) about €80. There are also a number of other online options.

In my preparation for the Camino I decided to bring along a couple of boxes of test kits the Post Office was giving out; I’m glad I did. The repeated tests are expensive. I can test myself and only pay for one more official test after I know I am negative.

Synlab Santiago de Campstela, 40 euros , Calle Xeneral Paradojas. You can Goggle the directions. For the US the test has to be done the day before and you need a printed copy of the test.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, it happens. I tested positivo the day before my flight home April 27. I just had a mild scratchy throat for two days prior. I am vaxxed and boosted and often catch a cold in Europe. I had walked in cold wind and rain and slept in one very cold albergue. I wore my N95 mask regularly inside. This was wrong Pollyanna thinking on my part. I should have self tested immediately when I got the scratchy throat. But after walking for two weeks I was just feeling great. (Home test kits are 2.80 Euro at any pharmacia in Madrid. They are $22 in my home town.) When I got my crushing test results I booked an Airbnb studio apartment with kitchen facilities in Centro Madrid for $110 a day for 10 days and re$cheduled my flight home for 11 days later. Madrid health authorities very politely and nicely told me they could not issue a clearance for flight for 15 days after testing positivo but they did give me an EU vaccination certificate based on my CDC card. The US Embassy website suggested two US telemed health practitioners that could issue a clearance after 10 days. But the first one I checked said you had to be physically in the US to schedule an appointment. My daughter who lives in France scheduled me for a telemed conference with MobiDoc, a certified health practitioner based in Malta. But on morning 10 I self tested negativo and went to a certified lab (Life Length) in downtown Madrid and also tested negativo. Because I could not figure out how to cancel my appointment I still had a telemed conference with a doctor in Croatia who spoke better English than I do. I had prepaid the outrageous fee of 25 Euro. Just kidding. I THINK I have a pretty good travel health insurance policy. They said save all my receipts for my extra 10 days and I would be reimbursed for hotel, meals, taxis, medical expenses. We'll see.

I had always considered Madrid a huge, noisy, busy city to be transited through as quickly as possible. Wrong! I was allowed to walk anywhere outside masked up. It is a delightful, very walkable city. Toward the end of my unexpected marooned in Madrid adventure I had another surprise. My daughter took the train south and visited me the last couple of days (staying in a nearby hostel.) Buen Camino

For those on the Caminho Português:

The marvelous Portuguese pharmacy system came through for us again. We stepped into the closest pharmacy to ask their advice and it turned out that they do COVID testing on the spot.

We made an appointment online for the morning before our flight out of Porto. The test was administered by a pharmacist and we had our results in two hours. €20 each.

We used this one near the Sé in Porto but I assume that many pharmacies can do it: Farmácia Moreno https://goo.gl/maps/86SHg5xEzyuy8r7R9

We got the rapid antigen test. No issues!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Yes, it happens. I tested positivo the day before my flight home April 27. I just had a mild scratchy throat for two days prior. I am vaxxed and boosted and often catch a cold in Europe. I had walked in cold wind and rain and slept in one very cold albergue. I wore my N95 mask regularly inside. This was wrong Pollyanna thinking on my part. I should have self tested immediately when I got the scratchy throat. But after walking for two weeks I was just feeling great. (Home test kits are 2.80 Euro at any pharmacia in Madrid. They are $22 in my home town.) When I got my crushing test results I booked an Airbnb studio apartment with kitchen facilities in Centro Madrid for $110 a day for 10 days and re$cheduled my flight home for 11 days later. Madrid health authorities very politely and nicely told me they could not issue a clearance for flight for 15 days after testing positivo but they did give me an EU vaccination certificate based on my CDC card. The US Embassy website suggested two US telemed health practitioners that could issue a clearance after 10 days. But the first one I checked said you had to be physically in the US to schedule an appointment. My daughter who lives in France scheduled me for a telemed conference with MobiDoc, a certified health practitioner based in Malta. But on morning 10 I self tested negativo and went to a certified lab (Life Length) in downtown Madrid and also tested negativo. Because I could not figure out how to cancel my appointment I still had a telemed conference with a doctor in Croatia who spoke better English than I do. I had prepaid the outrageous fee of 25 Euro. Just kidding. I THINK I have a pretty good travel health insurance policy. They said save all my receipts for my extra 10 days and I would be reimbursed for hotel, meals, taxis, medical expenses. We'll see.

I had always considered Madrid a huge, noisy, busy city to be transited through as quickly as possible. Wrong! I was allowed to walk anywhere outside masked up. It is a delightful, very walkable city. Toward the end of my unexpected marooned in Madrid adventure I had another surprise. My daughter took the train south and visited me the last couple of days (staying in a nearby hostel.) Buen Camino
Can you point me to the website for Certificate of Recovery telemed recommendations? I searched the US Embasy website and could not find them.

Sorry, no I can‘t find the telemed recommendation I read earlier. You need a letter from “a licensed healthcare provider “. Buen Camino

fly covid test center. Go to the website and find Santiago airport to make an appointment they charge 30€. I will go tomorrow to get mine.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Annie, off you go. I have been following you, and happy to see you at this end of your pilgrimage. Not trek, not walk, not hike. This Forum is about a pilgrimage.
A lot has been happening. Take your space on the return journey. All will be well. I presume you have heard of the wise woman who is often credited as the author of these words. Juliana of Norwich... 👣 💐
Thank you, kirkie, for mentioning the name Juliana. I've always heard her referred to as Julian of Norwich or the Lady Julian, and you prompted me to look up a reference, where I indeed found that she occasionally is called Juliana!
Learn something every day!

BTW, travellers, a trip to Norwich to see where she lived at St. Julian's Church is worth the effort.

FYI - I just tested here last Thursday for my flight to the USA on Friday. 5 euros and done in 20 minutes!!! They use the identical 3 euro test kit that they sell - they just watch you swab yourself and they do the rest.

They provided both an email and physical certificate in this timeframe. I had to show the physical certificate in both Santiago and Madrid.

Farmacia Vázquez Suárez
Rúa da República Arxentina, 43

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back