• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Teva originals

Wagamama78

Time of past OR future Camino
Either early July 2018 or Sept 2018
Has anyone ever used Teva Original sandals on the Camino Frances?

During a 30km test, my new trail runners gave me two massive blisters. So I'm going with my trusty runners(non trail) instead.

Teva originals were my favourite sandals back in high school. Picked up a pair of the hiking versions and went out for a 10km test yesterday. Should note, used them barefoot, no socks.

Two additional blisters on the bottoms of both my feet. They're on the same exact location so I'm assuming it's the tiny ridge/channel these sandals have near the ball of the foot rubbing constantly against my feet.

So...

Anyone ever just use the Teva Orignals to walk the Camino?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I use mine as "camp sandals" and will also use them in a pinch as "walking" shoes with waterproof socks but only as a back up since I'll be going in October/November. DaveBugg has awesome blister advice (search him) - I've significantly cut down on my issues with bathing my feet in sanitizer, applying tape strategically on EVERY area I've ever had a hot spot, double layering Injinji socks and Smartwool socks, vaseline, and compeed on the open blisters. Currently, all I have is sore feet but no new blisters. Will try my 12 miles a day/3 days in a row to test this furthest after last blister has heeled this weekend. I also switched to Altra trail shoes to have another broken in pair.

I'll be watching the weather forecast for October/November right before I leave for final decision about footwear. Good luck.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Everything that goes into the pack -- including sandals or other "camp shoes" -- needs to be weighed. It's quite amazing how many extra grams and ounces sneak in. Then take your scale with you to the store and look for alternatives that have less weight.

I would never apply Compeed on an open blister. I've seen too much damage doing this on my Caminos (with others). Even heard about my sister's friend who returned home with bad sepsis and consequent blood poisoning.
Be careful not careless!
I had a huge infected blister that I drained (I'm a health care provider) and the compeed was perfect for healing and staying in place a few days. But for the average joe, I would suggest getting some good education about blister management, basic first aid
and not adhering any tape over the compeed (I used a vaseline to keep it from pulling off) or you will make a blister an OPEN wound.

Everything that goes into the pack -- including sandals or other "camp shoes" -- needs to be weighed. It's quite amazing how many extra grams and ounces sneak in. Then take your scale with you to the store and look for alternatives that have less weight.
I also try and make sure just about everything has a dual purpose. Lots of bang for the buck. I agree...I've packed, weighed, shed, repacked....repeat ad nauseum. I'm at 15% of my body weight now and hike with heavier packs always. I can't agree more about the pack weight being very important.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
well...decided on ditching the Teva's altogether (for now). Gonna try out these Under Armour hiking sandals which got great reviews. Hopefully they won't leave crazy blisters on my feet!

Many, many pilgrims wear Teva (and other like brands) of sandals to walk the Camino. I wore mine for a few days while walking it because the trail runners I had started to fall apart. I wore the Teva's with socks, and they worked just fine. They also doubled as shower shoes. I am a big believer in everything you bring having more than one purpose.

During a 30km test, my new trail runners gave me two massive blisters. So I'm going with my trusty runners(non trail) instead.

Teva originals were my favourite sandals back in high school. Picked up a pair of the hiking versions and went out for a 10km test yesterday. Should note, used them barefoot, no socks.

Two additional blisters on the bottoms of both my feet. They're on the same exact location so I'm assuming it's the tiny ridge/channel these sandals have near the ball of the foot rubbing constantly against my feet.

So...

If you check my photo, my friend wore the tevas (top right) no socks, and loved them. The bottom ones were just worn as 'camp shoes'

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm a sandals only convert for the Camino after wearing my Merrell Siren Strap sandals for most of my Camino del Norte. The key is to wear sandals that fit your feet. I have some Tevas with straps that just hit me in the wrong places, but they are probably perfect for someone else.

I used Keen sandals with Smartwool socks, and wear them here at home with Smartwool, and other, socks. I think those elastic laces are part of why the sandals work so well for me. I wear Flip flops in the shower on the Camino. Hesitate to say this and maybe "tempt fate" but I have never had blisters.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

So...

I walked in Teva women's Tirra sandals from about Burgos all the way to Santiago de Compostela (about 500 K). My hiking shoes were taken from an albergue near Burgos. I had already walked a couple of days in sandals before I lost the shoes, so I just kept walking in my sandals. I always wore them with wool hiking socks and my feet were very comfortable. I never had a blister or any other problems with the exception of one really long climb down, when my toes got a bit banged up with some rocks - but that wasn't caused by the fit - just by the rocks! I did buy some more hiking shoes later, but I actually preferred the sandals because the new shoes seemed like they were going to start some blisters as I was breaking them in. Now that I am home, I wear the shoes I bought for walking - but still wear sandals quite a lot.

Last edited:

So...

Socks required, sandals or not. This a Sock Zone. Your feet will thank you. And that is what everyone wants, yes?

I use Teva boots and sandals. The sandals are 'end of the day' wear in town or camp. I have worn them on extended day walks as well.

Teva sandals are not light (600gm), so bear that in mind if you are a minimalist hiker.

Another point to bear in mind when choosing a sandal size is to make sure your toes don't poke out in front of the sole, eg when walking downhill (see pic). The reason is so you don't rip off a toe nail or injure a toe on rocky terrain. Keep toenails short, just in case.

Another couple of points for those who have not worn sandals on long hikes.

They are prone to collecting dirt and small pebbles on loose and stony terrain. Often you can just shake the irritants loose, but occasionally you have to stop and loosen the sandal.

Sandals don't give a snug, secure fit, especially in wet conditions. On flat terrain that is no problem, but once on a day hike I had to traverse a long, steeply sloping rock slab that fell away into the abyss. The Teva soles gripped well on the rock, but I was disconcertingly conscious of my feet slipping slightly in the sandals

Hope this helps.

Bob M

Attachments

• Teva-sandals.jpg
    Teva-sandals.jpg
    565.9 KB · Views: 16
  • Sandal-fit.jpg
    Sandal-fit.jpg
    429.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Some things to consider:

1) Ankle support. The Camino path can be very steep and rocky both uphill and downhill. The possibility of stubbing your toes in Tevas as well as not having enough ankle support is something to weigh.
2) How will your feet fare in long distances if it rains?
3) Obvious, so apologies in advance, but perhaps, rexamining the preventative maintenance of your feet before you hike will help. I used moleskin and Compeed as preventative measures each day on my feet to prevent blisters from appearing where they had the greatest potential - that's in addition to BodyGlide and a sock liner. For the most part, it worked well, but it is not to say I went unscathed. I learned very quickly to stop when I felt a burn....and changing into another pair of clean/dry socks usually around the halfway point of the day's trek.
4) Do you want to consider another pair of shoes/boots? Some of the high quality outdoor stores will let you return hiking boots even though you used them once or twice because of poor fit.

As an aside, I brought Tevas to the Camino to use after hiking and in the shower. I immediately found them to be too cumbersome/heavy and traded them in for a super light pair of Croc sandals (not the weird looking Crocs, but true sandals). I boxed up the Tevas with some other stuff and sent them to Casa Ivar's. Good decision on my part, I think. Made a huge difference for me.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

So...

Yep for parts and always in the shower and at the end of the day to rest feet. Love my Tevas

I have taken Tevas on all my Caminos (about 5 now). They are great ‘camp’ foot ware & I have walked many long days in them, with & without socks. Yes, they’re heavy, but they are worth their weight. I wouldn’t go without them.

Teva sandals don't protect yr toes! Small stones do also easily enter under yr foot, and will cause problems. I suggest a test of KEEN's models. They are trustable and do protect yr toes!!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Teva sandals don't protect yr toes! Small stones do also easily enter under yr foot, and will cause problems. I suggest a test of KEEN's models. They are trustable and do protect yr toes!!
I had absolutely no problem with my toes when I wore open toed sandals on the Camino del Norte. And one of my Camino friends was constantly having to remove small stones from her boots, while I rarely got any stones in my sandals, and when I did it was easy to remove them.

My friend had no issue with stones and gravel either, loved them, and there is sufficient sandal at the end of the toes (top right in avatar) that she never hurt her toes.
I just looked closer at the image, and you can see all the dust!

Can one of the sandal people tell me how you deal with the ever-present mud on the Camino? I would be worried about ruining my socks or having icky things stuck under my feet or between my toes, (says the girl who may be a bit fussy :p).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can one of the sandal people tell me how you deal with the ever-present mud on the Camino? I would be worried about ruining my socks or having icky things stuck under my feet or between my toes, (says the girl who may be a bit fussy :p).
Much easier to clean mud off of skin, socks and sandals than shoes and socks! A couple of times, after I stepped in almost ankle deep mud I found a clean stream later on and stepped in that to rinse off. :p

I also don't have problems with open toed sandals - I get stones and pebbles in occasionally but it is easier to kick them out of an open toed sandals. Not so if enclosed. I've never stubbed my toe on a rock or something similar, the only thing to beware is pointy sticks.

I'm with @trecile on the ease of cleaning skin and sandals, rather than socks and shoes. I don't usually wear socks, but when I do it is because it is cold and wet, so I wear waterproof breathable socks.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back