• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Teva sandals in October?

KatjaA

I just walk. Destination unknown!
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances, September/October 2017
Camino Portuguese, May/June 2019
Hey all!

I'm preparing for my first Camino (end of Sep. through Oct. ) and I'm getting such different advise on footwear. I'll bring my hiking booths for the road, but then it gets tricky. Tevas or light running shoes for the afternoons and evenings? How cold does it get?

Thank you for all the answers and THANK YOU for all the help I got from you posts. You cleared up so much of my doubts.

Buen Camino!

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was so glad I brought my Tevas. I developed blisters on the outside of my little toes and wearing them saved my camino. Even after the blisters healed, I changed into them for my last couple of hours of walking, and they were a nice change. I wore heavy socks with them - not a problem in Europe!

I'm a flip-flop girl.
Lighter weight to carry and great for in the shower.
I tried Tevas once - too heavy, hard on my feet when walking.
I suspect you'll be discarding your boots and walking in those running shoes within 3 days, so that would be my vote.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I suffered the complete range of foot ailments while on my first pilgrimage, and appreciated having my Tevas because they adjusted to accommodate my swollen feet. They also have some grip that many flip flops do not if you have to wear them around on wet streets.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Katjaa, I am also pondering this issue however my Camino is not planned until May 2018. I have a pair of Teva Original sandals. The have a thong appearance (strap connected in between toes) and also have an ankle strap. My thinking on this is that if I was to experience any rubbing or blisters they could well be on the widest parts of my feet which would be where most front sandal straps would touch. These sandals would not therefore touch these same areas and hopefully give my feet respite when off the trail. The only issue is that I would not be able to wear socks with them (unless injini's), so I too would like to know if it would be too cold to wear them at night.
HD_0000114157_212599_09.jpg

I wore trail runners on three Caminos with good success. In the evenings I wore a very lightweight sandal made of "croclike" material because on spring Caminos it can be chilly in the evenings when heading out to dinner and appreciated being able to wear socks. They also worked very well in the shower. Although I like "thong/flip flops" and there are many more options to choose from, I am sold on sandals, but they must be very lightweight and shower friendly...not always easy to find and I cannot buy online without a proper fitting prior to purchasing.

Tevas or light running shoes for the afternoons and evenings? How cold does it get?
It can get cold enough that you'll want to wear socks, so I'd suggest something that allows that. It may also be wet, but you could wear your boots in that case. I use croc-type shoes, but think that either sandals or light running shoes would be fine.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As always, footwear is personal but I am glad that I wore running shoes/trail runners on the Norte since there is ALOT of asphalt.

On my first Camino I brought flip flops and dumped them in Sahagún and bought a cheap Teva's type sandal which gave my foot much more support and rest. In my 14 ensuing Caminos I have brought my Teva's - not the original version but the hiking version - with a rugged sole. They can be used with or without socks and are great for walking if need be. I have no idea how much they weigh but I always manage to keep my pack between 5 and 6 kilos without food and water☺.

ps I've been twice on the Norte in October and we had the occasional shower but it was not cold. I found a fleece and poncho were sufficient.

Hey all!

I'm preparing for my first Camino (end of Sep. through Oct. ) and I'm getting such different advise on footwear. I'll bring my hiking booths for the road, but then it gets tricky. Tevas or light running shoes for the afternoons and evenings? How cold does it get?

Thank you for all the answers and THANK YOU for all the help I got from you posts. You cleared up so much of my doubts.

Buen Camino!
Tevice z nogavicami v suhem in
pohodne čevlje v mokrem vremenu. Lp

Tevice z nogavicami v suhem in
pohodne čevlje v mokrem vremenu. Lp
Saj se mi je zdelo, da bo treba tako modo sprejet. . Hvala lepa!
Katja

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for the advice. I think I'm gonna go with Tevas and booths which are based on trail runnera so they are super light and comfy. Tevas and socks it is.

The best advice I could ever give would be to buy a pair of addis runners they are wider than most and have a great cushion I walked the entire camino without a blister and the best piece of advice make sure they are 11/2 to 2 sizes bigger because your feet swell

Thank you for the advice. I think I'm gonna go with Tevas and booths which are based on trail runnera so they are super light and comfy. Tevas and socks it is.
Good decision. I wore a hiking shoe (Merrill) for the first two-thirds of each day (SJPdP to Santiago Sept-Oct 2016) and then switched to my Keen walking sandals for the last third. It was a perfect combo!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hey all!

Buen Camino!

I walked end October to early December.

My plan was to carry Tevas as night shoes and as shower clogs.

Tevas are heavy to carry.

Teva straps get wet in the shower and don't dry out in cool weather ... so even with socks you get cold feet.

I bought a pair of plastic clogs (they look like crocs but you can get really cheap knock-offs) and used those in the shower and for padding around the albergue. Much lighter and they don't absorb water.

Tevas ended up on the back of the pack and staying there. I recently used them on a kayak trip in Baja California and the soles cracked in the heat.

Your walking shoes should suffice for any outdoor activity ... walking the camino or doing errands.

Tevas ended up on the back of the pack and staying there. I recently used them on a kayak trip in Baja California and the soles cracked in the heat.

Surprised by this. I had my first pair of Teva's for about 12 years. They were still so comfortable but in the end they turned my foot black. At one point I guess the rubber starts to decompose but that was only after 10+ years of use!

Keen sandals for daily walking and flip flops for the rest of the time. Worked for me!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whatever works for you is best, however, I would never wear hiking boots on the Camino since most of it is asphalt, towns, roads, sidewalks, pavement and packed dirt trails. Running shoes worked best for me, but if hiking boots would work for you in those situations, then go for it. Trail running shoes and sandals for the evenings is what I wore. Some people wear Tevas the whole way and it works for them. Others wear big heavy leather boots and it works for them. Whatever works! :)

...The only issue is that I would not be able to wear socks with them (unless injini's), so I too would like to know if it would be too cold to wear them at night.
HD_0000114157_212599_09.jpg
Good option. Haven't seen that before.
I'm in a light hiking boots (above the ankles) & flip-flops group. When it gets cold in the evenings I can wear my flip-flops with socks no problem, just put them on loosely and they'll stretch at the big toe for the strap.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.