• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Teva sandals or crocs?

cabigred

Time of past OR future Camino
CF June 2015, CF June 2016, CP June 2017
If I have trained appropriately, I am putting 50+ miles a week and growing on my hiking shoes, 10+ miles at a stretch, will I need back up hiking sandals? Or can I save a pound and take crocs?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You can walk in Crocs too - just about. They are great for pottering around the albergue or getting from the place you're staying to the place you're eating, and for nipping to the loo in the night, but not a lot more. I once swore I'd bring Crocs on all my coming caminos, but I have chosen to bring the Tevas every time. It's not so much that you need back up for walking, though blisters etc can make that necessary, but you need to give your feet and your boots a break in the evening even if that means wearing socks and sandals. (Yes. I know.) The Tevas can do everything the Crocs can, but on a hot day, or when your feet get too swollen, or if you get a blister in an awkward spot, they are miles better. The Tevas get my vote every time. Look for the Terra Fi Lite or the Tirra model, they really are very light and a perfect compromise!

Actually, I have a pair of the Terra Fi Lites ...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I take Terra Fi lites too, they're great . ( and if desperate, you can wear them with socks :oops: :D)

Only thing, they're a bit heavy but... Are Crocs that much lighter? Anyone?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Rob, how much do they weigh? (Yes, I know, it's a 'sad' question :D )

How exciting, 16 days!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks Rob, I'd always wondered. Well it's about the same weight as the Tevas then. And it's very necessary weight, you can't do without a pair of comfy shoes at the end of the walking day...
Buen camino, :) , so envious, I have just under 2 months to go.

I took crocs last year as my 'evening' shoes. They were OK, but I found that my feet got very warm in them. I think Tevas would have been better. The only advantage of the crocs was that they hid my unsightly blisters!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I take Terra Fi lites too, they're great . ( and if desperate, you can wear them with socks :oops: :D)

The one's Im looking at weigh 3.7 ounces, so a full pound less than the Teva Lites

I carried Tevas figuring to use them in the showers and as evening wear. I went late in the year and found the wet straps too cold. I ended up buying plastic clogs (chinese knockoff crocs for 5 euro) at the Chinese Bazaar in Estella. The Tevas spent the rest of the trip tied to the pack.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I always take Tevas as my back-up footwear. They saved my camino when I walked in them for three days (with socks!) on the Frances. Taking them again this year.

I just weighed my Terra Fi lites and in a womens size 9 1/2 they weigh 444 grams. But oh so comfortable. There are replacing a pair of more substantial Teva's that weigh 540 grams. Very similar padding configuration but the padding is thinner and the straps are thinner than the heavy Teva's. It also looks like the sole may be thinner too. I'm bringing the Terra Fi lites as my backup shoes on the Camino.

Last edited:
Have never been able to find them in regular stores and therefore will not purchase anything unless I try them..especially footwear...any suggestion where to purchase them?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The one's Im looking at weigh 3.7 ounces, so a full pound less than the Teva Lites
According to my Excel packing sheet (don't judge me) a pair of size 7 Teva Terra Fi Lites weigh 44o grams, Terra Fi regulars 570 grams. Well worth the weight if you ask me!
Well, @nidarosa, you are not judged by me! My excel spreadsheet has my Tevas at 11.8 ounces, less than a pound! @cabigred, I think my Tevas must be different than yours...

Have never been able to find them in regular stores and therefore will not purchase anything unless I try them..especially footwear...any suggestion where to purchase them?
I can never find shoes that fit me in stores and buy online, the Teva Lites are on sale at Sierratradingpost.com

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Two pairs of walking shoes to switch between is not overkill. It may even be necessary. Given those choices, I'd go with the Tevas (I do not think anyone can seriously walk very far in Crocs. I saw some people try after their footgear was destroying them, but not for long).

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just got a pair of Keen Arroyo sandals today. I would have given anything to have them on the Camino last year. Sandal with a boot sole. For what its worth.

If you're looking for a back up walking shoe I'd definitely recommend the Tevas. I brough Crocs with me last year on the Frances in case I needed an extra pair...my feet were sweaty and sliding around so much that I could barely walk. I bought Tevas the next day and wore them some days to walk in instead of my boots. Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I took Teva's one year and left them behind in favor of Orso's. They are lighter than Crocs and more comfortable. (in my opinion)
about much lighter I never worry about all this concern about things being too heavy. I know what I need anything else I buy on the way. My bckpack is never too heavy..it all depends on bring things you do not need on the Camino essentials is the thing.

Tough question. A friend of mine invented Tevas. I live in Teavs, but travel with Crocs.

I like the Sanuk Vagabonds. Covered toe, lightweight, pack flat. Sort of like flip flop bedroom slippers. Wore them to the shower and all around town at night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just brought my new EVA Birkies: 255 grams, for the pair. Just over 4 ounces! And with support. Can't wait to test them next month on the Primitivo.

I like the Sanuk Vagabonds. Covered toe, lightweight, pack flat. Sort of like flip flop bedroom slippers. Wore them to the shower and all around town at night.
Yes! I too love my Sanuks. I walk in Chaco Unaweeps and wear my Sanuks for a break whenever possible :)

Tough question. A friend of mine invented Tevas. I live in Teavs, but travel with Crocs.
Forget Tevas if concerned about them being dry. The straps are covered with cloth - no good for long distance walking in the rain. On a dive boat or beach yes, they will dry, but not on the Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I love my Tevas for sightseeing, with or without socks. Showers: I'm not concerned about as I don't stay in albergues. But I do spend long days sightseeing: e. g. in Santiago, Porto and Vigo.
M.

I always pick up a pair of Crocs knockoffs in Spain.
They work fine for me and they're lightweight.
I've also simply taken flip flops.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I decided against my crocs as they are pretty lethal on a wet floor/surface...anyone else have that problem?

they are pretty lethal on a wet floor/surface...anyone else have that problem

Yes! I don't wear crocs because they just don't fit me, but I thought maybe I'd use the pair I bought for pool shoes. Tried that once only--I thought I'd never make it back to my apartment without falling. They are slippy inside, too, if your feet are very wet.

I got myself a pair of vivobarefeet. Very light, pretty stable even when wet and can walk in them ok with my pack (5 kg). But they definitely need socks as if I have them on for more then an hour then they rub against my tootsies (toes) and make them sore.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I was quite content with my Keen sandals, Whisper model. Could also wear with sock liners.
Weight: 8.7 oz/246.6 g
I liked having dry sandals to put on after my shower so (I know it's overkill) I had a cheap pair of flipflops for the shower.

According to my Excel packing sheet (don't judge me) a pair of size 7 Teva Terra Fi Lites weigh 44o grams, Terra Fi regulars 570 grams. Well worth the weight if you ask me!

Can you Hike the Frances in Summer with just Tevas?

@ScottRD Yes, people have done so - try using the search box to see if you find a relevant post. I have just invested in two pairs of Terra Fi 4 because they are sooo supportive and have great suspension. I hope to try a longer walk in them later this year and take them on the Norte next year.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
SWEET! I just ordered a pair. Am frantically trying to put shoes together for my first camino (leaving on friday). Size 15 feet has been a nightmare in finding shoes! Am desperate now and hope they fit!!! (can't wait to rock them with socks for the ladies!)

If i bring Tevas, do i need flip flops as wel or can u juts use the tevas int he shower?

@ScottRD you could probably get away with just the tevas. If it does not work, lots of $2 shops along the way where you can buy shower shoes.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Teva sandals or Crocs are fine in the shower. Walk for a couple of hours in each one to see the best alternative footwear if you need to hike out of your boots for a day or two. Most find Teva better, but I have seen Crocs work well for a couple of days when the Teva alternates rubbed the boot blisters and the Crocs did not.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.