• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Teva women's sandals

kessey11

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino del Norte/ camino de la costa (June/July 2016)
I will be walking my first Camino on the Norte route mid June through the end of July. I am hoping to get a pair of quality sandals for the evenings, using as shower shoes, and wearing for a period during the day to give my feet a break. I have heard a lot of good things about Tevas and am asking for suggestions on which style of women's Teva sandals (size 9) to look into?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have 5 pairs of Teva or Teva type sandals. I was on Camino with a pair of Chacos (HATED them. The stiff straps hurt and they had a toe strap - no socks could be worn with them) and a pair of Tevas that I replaced them with. Second Camino I had a different pair that were a lot more rugged than the pair I bought in Spain. Which means they are heavy.
The other day while I was wandering around in Fredericksburg I found a pair of Merril Select Grip Teva like sandals that are SO COMFORTABLE and surprisingly lightweight! You can get them in different colors or brown leather. Shop around and check different ones out for yourself.
Good luck!

I would check out the Terra Fi or Terra Fi Lites, both have three adjustable velcro straps and very comfortable and durable soles. I have both and wear them a lot at home as well. The Tirra version seems popular, with narrower straps, but they are not adjustable at the back of the ankle as far as I know. If they fit, fine, if not, go for the ones with the adjustable strap.

Edit/Update: I have since bought the Teva Terra Fi 4, which are a lot chunkier and has more pronounced arch support than the previous version or the Lite. I love them and hope to walk a lot in them, they are that cushioned and supportive. Looks like they have stopped doing half sizes though and oddly my previous Terra Fis were 6.5, my Lites are a 7 but my new Fi 4 fit me in a 6. Try before you buy!

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Even if you just want something for the evening, after walking all day your feet like something with a bit of support, more than flip-flops (what we call in Australia thongs). Tevas are lovely.

I have carried Tevas on many caminos in my pack. Every year, I try to find a lightweight alternative because they are HEAVY!!! I wear them in the shower and then wear them afterwards walking around (yes the straps get wet but dry quickly especially in summer). But in the end, I always wind up bringing them, because my feet need the support walking around after lunch. I have bought a number of lightweight alternatives, but have found nothing that make my feet as comfortable as the Tevas. So, I reluctantly put them in my pack every year, but am always glad I have them.

Buen camino, Laurie

I love my Teva Verra sandals!
I have been training in them and they are oh so comfy.
I will be wearing them each day for at least half the distance, all day if it's raining (with my toe socks) and at night for the shower and for evening wear.

Attachments

• 1-thumb_IMG_9619_1024-001.jpg
    1-thumb_IMG_9619_1024-001.jpg
    411.8 KB · Views: 51
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will be wearing them each day for at least half the distance, all day if it's raining (with my toe socks) and at night for the shower and for evening wear.
Hi, Auldies: I was just wondering about your toe socks. .... are they better than regular socks? I am brand new to all of this.

Hi, Auldies: I was just wondering about your toe socks. .... are they better than regular socks? I am brand new to all of this.
Hi Maria
We are just back from our Camino and I still love my toe socks, however, there were some issues along the path that forced me to change my original pre Camino plans. The first 6 days, I happily wore my toe socks and sandals without any problems at all. Happy feet! At around Day 7, I started to develop some heel pain and long story short, I had acquired plantar fasciitis and tendonitis. It's hard to know the source, but the only thing I can think of is perhaps lack of arch support in my sandals. I was advised to revert to wearing my shoes, which in hindsight were a size too small. Once my feet warmed up and swelled, I then compounded the problem with blisters, nerve pain across the top of my toes and losing some toenails. I'm sorry that this information may not be all that helpful, although I don't believe the toes socks had anything to do with my resulting problems.. I found that the toe socks stopped my toes from sticking together when wet from perspiration and were very comfortable, but next time, I will be visiting a podiatrist and potentially getting some orthotics to prevent the possibility of further injuries.
Carol

Wow, Carol - you had some challenges with your feet! That plantar fasciitis is a sneaky one. Thanks for sharing. ..... so you went on your Camino in May/June? How was the weather? Rain? I'm am planning on starting the Camino in May of 2017. And I am really curious about the weather and temps. Just wondering. Thanks. ~~Maria

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Wow, Carol - you had some challenges with your feet! That plantar fasciitis is a sneaky one. Thanks for sharing. ..... so you went on your Camino in May/June? How was the weather? Rain? I'm am planning on starting the Camino in May of 2017. And I am really curious about the weather and temps. Just wondering. Thanks. ~~Maria
Hi Maria
The weather was overall fabulous. It was colder at the start than we thought it might be. I think it was an unusually long winter this year.
We had just a few days of rain, and only one that was really heavy with cold winds, but even that didn't last all day.
Galicia was quite unpredictable, weather wise - mostly just annoying showers. We had donning our wet weather gear down to a fine art.
Sometimes as soon as you put it on, the sun reappeared. Once we crossed the border into Galicia it got warmer, although we mostly started out with a base layer and sometimes a jacket each morning and then shed layers along the path as our bodies and the temperature warmed up.
Hope this helps.
Carol

I would definitely recommend going in spring rather than summer.
The wildflowers were amazing and the scenery truly remarkable - lush and green all along the path,

Thanks, Carol. That sounds good - I don't mind some rain - but a daily walk in rain would be challenging. Thanks! ~~Maria

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would check out the Terra Fi or Terra Fi Lites, both have three adjustable velcro straps and very comfortable and durable soles. I have both and wear them a lot at home as well. The Tirra version seems popular, with narrower straps, but they are not adjustable at the back of the ankle as far as I know. If they fit, fine, if not, go for the ones with the adjustable strap.

Edit/Update: I have since bought the Teva Terra Fi 4, which are a lot chunkier and has more pronounced arch support than the previous version or the Lite. I love them and hope to walk a lot in them, they are that cushioned and supportive. Looks like they have stopped doing half sizes though and oddly my previous Terra Fis were 6.5, my Lites are a 7 but my new Fi 4 fit me in a 6. Try before you buy!
Hi!
Are you implying that terra fi 4 are more suitable for the camino than the terra fi lite? Looking for advice.

@Malabar Circle AS Not necessarily, that depends on your feet, the surface of the trail, whether you walk in them most of the time or just as spares on a hot day etc. For me they are definitely a better option because they have more arch support and are more protective because of the thicker and wider sole. Then again they are heavier if you carry them as spares. Both will do, it's a matter of personal choice - I have used and would highly recommend both.

Also try Keens. I use the Arroyo II, but walked the last bit of the Camino in Newports (because I bought what I could find). I use them for the gravel/dirt/rain, and running shoes (New Balance these days for width) for all of the concrete and asphalt. These are not for the shower (I use laundry on the bottom of the shower if it is questionable). These are my primary walking shoe. I walked 200 miles through the Sierra Nevada mountains in them this last September. Did fine, except they were a bit chilly the day it snowed.

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I read umpteen Amazon reviews hoping to find someone mention that they'd been worn on the Camino.

I bought a raspberry-colored pair in Marshall's for $25!!!!! They're a wee bit larger than I thought I needed but they feel so comfortable. Then I thought of socks or swollen feet. I know I'd love to have them for strolling around town or going out for a meal. They don't look sturdy enough for miles of walking.

I think something like the Keen Rose with a closed toe might be better.

I also got a pair of Chaco water shoes/sandals that are very comfortable for walking the dogs. Paid $35-40 in Marshall's/TJ Maxx/Ross (USA) Usually only a few sizes available but certainly worth checking out their footwear.

I've used Teva Tirra's on all of my Camino's but on the PCT last year I wore bedrock sandals which are much lighter than Teva's and with a vibram sole. The only reason I didn't bring my bedrocks on this current Camino is because sometimes I like to wear socks with sandals and the bedrock sandals have a toe strap which makes this tricky unless wearing toe socks. But for lightweight I don't know anything lighter than bedrock.

Buen Camino!

I am slightly embarrassed to say that I just realized that when I said Tevas I meant Chacos. :eek:

I did wear Tevas on my first camino in 2000 but found that their flat footbed did not make my feet happy. I switched to Chacos (the one without the toe loop, so I can wear socks if necessary) and find that their arch support is perfect. They are just as heavy as Tevas, though. And it may also be that Tevas now makes something less flat.

I wear them only for post-walking walking around, but have just recently returned from a "tourist trip" where I wore them on walks of as many as 16 kms. I don't think I've ever had a pair of footwear that lasts as long. I got these Chacos in 2001 after my first camino and have worn them ever since on my yearly caminos, and I also wear them for the majority of the time in summer months at home. The straps are beginning to fray, and the tread is pretty worn down. Time to replace, but 15 or 16 years of heavy use is not bad for a $100 investment.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Any of the Teva brand with the Shocpad for heal support, then you can throw away your boots, wont need them!
Used my Tevas for the whole Camino SJPDP to Finisterre no problems at all!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.