• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Texas Pilgrims who've walked the Camino Francés

Bozzie

Continuing to walk my camino daily. Blessings!
Time of past OR future Camino
2012/2016
Howdy!
I'm walking the Camino Francés in late May-June 2012. Wondering where you flew into and how did you get to SJPP? Any info you can pass on to me will be appreciated! I live in Dallas, btw. If you live in Dallas I'd love to pick your brain in person or by phone.
Thanks!
Dee Anne

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
SJPP has a train ariving regularly from Bayonne which is near Biaritz. If you fly to PARIS you can get a train to Bordeaux and then change to Bayonne

Howdy Dee Anne!

I'm a Texas Pilgrim who has *yet* to walk the camino francés, but it sounds like we might see each other in Spain this spring! I'm walking late May through all of June SJPP to Fisterra. My plan is to fly into Madrid, and then take a combination of bus, train, and taxi to Pamplona >> Roncesvalles >> SJPP. I don't know any specifics yet; first priority is figuring out how to get from the airport to the bus or train station in Madrid! haha!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Texas to SJPP - easy enough: Forget going through Paris. American Airlines has competatively priced non-stop DFW - Madrid flights. Dallas to Paris is generally more expensive and a whole lot less convenient in getting to SJPP.

Once arriving in Madrid's airport, no need to go into the city of Madrid. There is a bus from the Madrid airport which will take you directly to the bus station in Pamplona where you can catch a bus which will take you directly to SJPP. If you arrive in Pamplona too late to catch the SJPP bus, then you can catch the 6 PM bus to Roncesvalles continuing from there with a taxi onto SJPP. There are taxis waiting in Roncesvalles allowing you to join other pilgrims, thus sharing the taxi cost of travelling from Roncesvalles to SJPP.

Buen Camino.

I'm a Texan - live in Houston.

My first Camino was 6 years ago and I have tried to spend a few weeks on the various caminos each year. First walked from Leon to Santiago and then Pamplona to Leon. In April, I will walk from Somport (camino Aragones), join up with the Frances to Santiago and then continue on to Finesterre.

I always fly to Madrid via Newark on Continental.

I'd be happy to respond to any questions you might have.

We recently hosted a group of Houston (past and future) pilgrims at our home. I found 15 people in the Houston area and one from Corpus Christi. We have another event scheduled for this Saturday so if there are any other pilgrims in the area, send me a PM and I will get you the details.

markss said:
Texas to SJPP - easy enough: Forget going through Paris. American Airlines has competatively priced non-stop DFW - Madrid flights. Dallas to Paris is generally more expensive and a whole lot less convenient in getting to SJPP.

Once arriving in Madrid's airport, no need to go into the city of Madrid. There is a bus from the Madrid airport which will take you directly to the bus station in Pamplona where you can catch a bus which will take you directly to SJPP. If you arrive in Pamplona too late to catch the SJPP bus, then you can catch the 6 PM bus to Roncesvalles continuing from there with a taxi onto SJPP. There are taxis waiting in Roncesvalles allowing you to join other pilgrims, thus sharing the taxi cost of travelling from Roncesvalles to SJPP.

Buen Camino.

There's a long-distance bus station at the airport? This is a godsend! I was dreading having to get on the Metro and find the bus station in the city somewhere. Thank you!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just wondered if there is a bus to Seville from Madrid airport? Has anyone gone there by bus instead of train?
Heather

Thanks for all the good travel info. I appreciate the options and your experience!
Buen Camino...
Dee Anne from Dallas
"Bozzie"

Hello Texans! I will be walking my first Camino at the end of April. I found that coming from Austin was more expensive to fly into Paris and WAY more expensive to fly into Biarritz. About $3000 more expensive! I ended up opting to fly into London and take a plane to Biarritz from there. The only downfall of it is that I have to take a bus from one airport to get to another in London then get on the plane to France. But believe it or not, it was actually less expensive then taking the train AND it gets me there about 3 hours earlier. With flying into Paris it would have been more expensive with the cost of the plane ticket as well as the cost of the train ticket and I would not have reached Bayonne until almost 11:00 pm. With a full day of plane travel I wanted the least amount of travel for the next day.

I did look at the price to fly into Madrid and it was around the same price as flying into London. It just seemed a little more muddled to get to SJPDP then coming from the France direction. Though appeared rather easy if starting from Roncesvalles.

Looks like I will be a few weeks ahead of you on the trail as I start out at the end of April.

Buen Camino!

Heather

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
heatherrnw said:
Hello Texans! I will be walking my first Camino at the end of April. I found that coming from Austin was more expensive to fly into Paris and WAY more expensive to fly into Biarritz. About $3000 more expensive! I ended up opting to fly into London and take a plane to Biarritz from there. The only downfall of it is that I have to take a bus from one airport to get to another in London then get on the plane to France. But believe it or not, it was actually less expensive then taking the train AND it gets me there about 3 hours earlier. With flying into Paris it would have been more expensive with the cost of the plane ticket as well as the cost of the train ticket and I would not have reached Bayonne until almost 11:00 pm. With a full day of plane travel I wanted the least amount of travel for the next day.

I did look at the price to fly into Madrid and it was around the same price as flying into London. It just seemed a little more muddled to get to SJPDP then coming from the France direction. Though appeared rather easy if starting from Roncesvalles.

Looks like I will be a few weeks ahead of you on the trail as I start out at the end of April.

Buen Camino!

Heather
We are also leaving Austin (tomorrow) and starting out on the Camino on April 20th. Got a fair price on a direct on AA from Dallas. Hope to see you there. :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@ Heather. I am taking the same route via London from Canada . Are you staying in Biarritz or continuing on to SJPP and starting to walk the next day? Just wondering because I can't decide ! I am walking SJPP through to Roncesvalles the first day and am concerned about jet lag :)

Annie,
Alsa website states that bus leaves from Terminal 4 to Pamplona. Average of 5.30 h. driving time.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
yogabanana said:
@ Heather. I am taking the same route via London from Canada . Are you staying in Biarritz or continuing on to SJPP and starting to walk the next day? Just wondering because I can't decide ! I am walking SJPP through to Roncesvalles the first day and am concerned about jet lag :)

SJPP to Roncesvalles is a full-day exercise, and not the sort of thing you can do after arriving in town at lunch. I would suggest either bunking in SJPP or Orisson (about 8km out of SJPP-- do a search for posts with details on this) the first night.

I recall on the Camino Aragonese back in 2005, a few European pilgrims in Ruesta pontificating about the uncouthness of Texans (referring to the then US President) only to be pulled up by a gentle and literate (and very fluent in Spanish) retired scholar from San Marcos TX who happilly pointed out the presence of a real Texan on the Camino. They quickly realized that their embarrassment could easily be resolved by the spontaneous offer of a round for the table.

Another Texan here. Will be starting the Camino from SJPP on June 9th or there about, rocking a Texas patch on my pack.

well howdy y'all!

i'll be starting the camino from sjpdp around august 22 going to muxia & finisterre. flying into madrid and back from barcelona.
will have the texas flag on my backpack.

looking forward to seeing y'all--hey i might even bring some shiner beer and luling bar-b-que!

yeeHa! :D

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
texastrekker said:
hey i might even bring some shiner beer and luling bar-b-que!

yeeHa! :D
Ha ha! That would be great if someone carried a crate of beer along the Way. Best way to meet people and make friends for life, although you may break your back!

Buen Camino to all you Texans! Just a thought, though. Has anyone warned St James that you'll all be turning up? :lol:

Most read last week in this forum

I have just popped my Targeta Dorada (Golden Ticket) in my packing box. They cost €12 and cannot be bought online, but can be renewed online. If journeying too or from the Camino on Spanish trains...
Hi everyone! I would greatly appreciate your suggestions for the best summer beaches in Galicia that are easily accessible by car or bus from Santiago de Compostela. Thanks!
Hi there i'm a first time Camino walker - planning for Sept this year. I have a question if anyone can help. We are going with friends but we can't fly out at the same time so we are going to fly...
Hi - I've been waiting to book 2 June from Santiago dC to Madrid - finally the tickets are out! Funnily enough the luxury seats were cheaper than economy seats, so I took one.
I begin my first Camino in mid-May from SJPdP. Due to time constraints related to available PTO, I unfortunately have to skip a few towns along the way if I am to start in SJPdP and end in...
We are leaving May 4th for the Camino, starting in Ponferrada. I tried online to book the Correos Pac Monchila luggage transfer service and it provided a drop down list box of specific...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back