• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Texas Pilgrims?

Choweth

I'm 21 and from Central Texas and have never walked the camino. I plan on beginning in March 2014 after completing my associates degree. Anyone from Texas going or been? :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yup. From San Antonio and going in May of 2014 with my boy and maybe my wife. ¡Buen Camino!

Re: Texas Pilgrims?

Walked with a lady and her "knitting club" friends from San Antonio last May, 2012. She celebrated her 70th birthday upon arriving in Santiago. She teaches French and Spanish in the San Antonio school system. Sorry that I can't provide an email, however, if San Antonio has a local Camino group I'm sure that Ann is involved. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Choweth said:
I'm 21 and from Central Texas and have never walked the camino. I plan on beginning in March 2014 after completing my associates degree. Anyone from Texas going or been? :)
Hola!
I walked from SJPP to Santiago this past sept/oct '12...taking 35 days to make the journey. It was an amazing experience. If you'd like to chat or communicate about the Camino, please PM me and I'll be happy to share my experience with you. I'm not in your age group, but I might be of help in answering questions. :).
Buen Camino!
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

dduroy said:
From Houston. Flying out next Sunday!
Burner Camino!!! Wishing I was going, too!

Another Texan here...leaving April 25. Can hardly wait! Feel free to ask questions now or when I get back in May.

Buen Camino!
Kim

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am planning to leave the 30 of march 2014 w my wife & start walking from SJDPP by April 2. We live in Montana.

I'm co-coordinator of the American Pilgrims on the Camino - Texas Gulf Coast Chapter. We're in Houston but sometimes we get folks from Central Texas and Corpus Christi at our events.

We started meeting about 1 1/2 years ago. We have quarterly events and generally have 30-35 people at each event. Fun stuff like hikes, happy hours or potlucks. It's a really good group of people and a great way for 'pilgrims in training' to meet experienced folks and ask lots of questions.

If you are interested in getting on our invite list, send me a PM. We have a Happy Hour scheduled for July 30 at 1252 Tapas Bar in Uptown Park. Please join us if you are in town.

I also know some people in San Antonio who are contemplating forming a Central Texas Chapter (San Antonio/Austin). If you are interested, send me you contact information and I will pass it on.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I walked the camino from Leon to Santiago in early May 2013. My best advice to you would be to do a lot of hiking in hills with full backpack on before going. I trained a lot before going on flat land, and was unprepared for the hills in Spain.

We've met tons of Texans on the camino this summer, and a Classical guitarist from Corpus Christi is playing two weeks of concerts real soon for Camino Artes series in Carrion de los Condes, Villacazar, Fromista, and Moratinos.

Y'all come!
Reb

My wife and I walked the Camino in 2012. I walked from St. Jean and she joined me in Sarria. I live in Longview, Texas and there is another gentleman from Longview who walked the Camino this year. There are also a father and son from the Dallas area that walked the Camino at the same time that I did in June of 2012. I also walked with a mother-son couple from Marble Falls. If we can be of help let us know.

Kevin

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I'm co-coordinator of the American Pilgrims on the Camino - Texas Gulf Coast Chapter. We're in Houston but sometimes we get folks from Central Texas and Corpus Christi at our events.

We started meeting about 1 1/2 years ago. We have quarterly events and generally have 30-35 people at each event. Fun stuff like hikes, happy hours or potlucks. It's a really good group of people and a great way for 'pilgrims in training' to meet experienced folks and ask lots of questions.

If you are interested in getting on our invite list, send me a PM. We have a Happy Hour scheduled for July 30 at 1252 Tapas Bar in Uptown Park. Please join us if you are in town.

I also know some people in San Antonio who are contemplating forming a Central Texas Chapter (San Antonio/Austin). If you are interested, send me you contact information and I will pass it on.
I am in Austin and leaving on April 25 to walk the camino de Sanabre starting in Puebla de Sanabria. Would be very interested in meeting anyone who has done this route especially at that time of year.

My wife and I walked the Camino in 2012. I walked from St. Jean and she joined me in Sarria. I live in Longview, Texas and there is another gentleman from Longview who walked the Camino this year. There are also a father and son from the Dallas area that walked the Camino at the same time that I did in June of 2012. I also walked with a mother-son couple from Marble Falls. If we can be of help let us know.

Kevin

Do you have the contact information for the father/son team mentioned above? I live in Allen, Texas - 30 miles north of Dallas. Trying to plan a Camino walk in May / June of 2014? Thanks for the help. Buen Camino! Sean, EA1 / W5SPK

Choweth: I live in Allen - 30 miles north of Dallas. Planning to walk the Camino in May/June 2014. Any contacts you can pass to me from the DFW area would be much appreciated. Buen Camino~

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I live in Texas now (Mid-cities in the DFW area). I am German and did the hike in September/October of 2009 from SJPDP all the way to Fistera and Muxia. I have lots of photos and wonderful stories.

They say you should hike the Camino three times in your life every 5-7 years. I will be hiking again next year in May 2014 once the semester is over.

Susann
ImageUploadedByCamino de Santiago Forum1378003388.720096.jpg

Hola!
There are a few of us in Dallas who have been. I walked from SJPP to Santiago last year in from Sept 12-October 18th. If you'd like to chat, let me know. You can PRivate Message me.
My Forum name is Bozzie, but my real ne is Dee Anne.
Burn Camino,
Bozzie

I walked the last 1/3 in 2010 (from Astorga) & was living on Austin at the time (now live in NM). Would be glad to share experience. Email me at dustylee@sprynet.com if you want. Buen viaje.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello! I just finished the Camino Frances on June 12th. I'm so excited for you! I'm in Austin and I've been looking for a past and future pilgrims group here, but there isn't one. Personally, I wanted the most organic experience possible, so besides a plane ticket, I only made one reservation in 32 days and just really relied on the magic the camino provides. I'd be happy to share my experience, help you figure out what to pack or answer any questions. It will change your life! Especially before entering 'the real world'.

Buen camino!

Erica

I walked the Frances in Sept/Oct of 2011 and I am heading to Oviedo on the 29th of this month to do the Primitivo. Ask away, I'll try to help as I can.

I live in Texas now (Mid-cities in the DFW area). I am German and did the hike in September/October of 2009 from SJPDP all the way to Fistera and Muxia. I have lots of photos and wonderful stories.

They say you should hike the Camino three times in your life every 5-7 years. I will be hiking again next year in May 2014 once the semester is over.

Susann
View attachment 6022
What a beautiful photo! I'm so happy that you're taking their advice, whoever they are! I guess I should start planning for 2018.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Wow, I was just able to get back on to this site since I last posted. There are so many from Texas! Susann, just looking at your pictures gets me pumped up. lol I'm SO excited!! I can't sleep at night. :) I still have 6 months to go!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here are some photos - looking through my almost 1000 pictures gets me all excited for 2014 ... Hope we can meet and share pictures, videos and talk about the Camino :)

View attachment 6042View attachment 6043View attachment 6044View attachment 6045View attachment 6046View attachment 6047View attachment 6048View attachment 6049View attachment 6050
Hi Susan...looking at your beautiful pictures inspires me more. I'm trying to do el camino in about 1 or 2 years from now. Will start training in a few weeks. Since I'm diabetic how many miles can a bathroom be found or just go around a rock? Blessings

Hi, I'm from El Paso; hope to walk the Camino Frances with my husband and daughter (she lives in Austin) starting last week of March in 2014. Just waiting to find out if my hubby can take the full six weeks so we can buy our plane tickets and finalize our plans. God willing, we will start in SJPP and walk all the way to Muxia and Finisterra (don't yet know which we will do first). Really excited; we went on a Marian pilgrimage (tour) last year to include Fatima and Lourdes so we traveled through much of northern Spain. We had just seen the movie 'The Way' so it was really exciting when we saw a few pilgrims along the way; by then, we already knew we would some day return to Spain for at least one more pilgrimage...

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Susan...looking at your beautiful pictures inspires me more. I'm trying to do el camino in about 1 or 2 years from now. Will start training in a few weeks. Since I'm diabetic how many miles can a bathroom be found or just go around a rock? Blessings
The pictures are beautiful! than you so much!

I am in Austin and leaving on April 25 to walk the camino de Sanabre starting in Puebla de Sanabria. Would be very interested in meeting anyone who has done this route especially at that time of year.
Hi Texaloha...I would be interesting in the Chapter in San Antonio...I want to do el camino, but need lots of help. I live in La Vernia, TX about 45 minutes south of San Antonio...will appreciate your and their help...thanks...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello... I live in La Vernia, TX...45 minutes south of San Antonio...I would love to know about the Chapter in San Antonio. Need all the help I can get...want to do el camino...thank you so much!

Hello! I'm from the Austin area and walked the Camino from SJPP to Santiago in June-July of 2011.

There is now a San Antonio Alamo Area Chapter of The American Pilgrims on the Camino. Their email is AlamoChapter@americanpilgrims.com
They recently held a Mini Camino Missions Walk this past July, and it was a wonderful turnout of former and future pilgrims! The organizers did a fabulous job marking the way along the river and Missions Trail, and participants were given a mini passport to stamp along the way. The Alamo Area Chapter has a mentor program as well. More info about their chapter and contact info: http://www.americanpilgrims.com/about/local_alamo.html

I'm really excited for you---it is an incredible journey. Buen Camino!

You will love being part of the chapter! Dont forget to come visit us in Arizona too!

Hello Krazeekuban! I know they have a chapter here and wrote to them 3 days ago, but no answer still. Anyways I would love to learn more, but like I told my hubby...I rather go with you because we can relate to each other than people I wouldn't be able to be as open. Aleida probably will call you next week and looking forward for the information you are sending me.

€46,-
H
Hello! I just finished the Camino Frances on June 12th. I'm so excited for you! I'm in Austin and I've been looking for a past and future pilgrims group here, but there isn't one. Personally, I wanted the most organic experience possible, so besides a plane ticket, I only made one reservation in 32 days and just really relied on the magic the camino provides. I'd be happy to share my experience, help you figure out what to pack or answer any questions. It will change your life! Especially before entering 'the real world'.

Buen camino!

Erica

Hi Erica! I'm currently living in Dallas, but lived in San Marcos for three years & miss the hill country so much! I'd love to talk to you about the weather since it looks like you walked in May mostly...also if you experienced any over-crowded alburgues...also footwear....also plane/train trips to get there...hahaha I guess I have more questions than I thought! I'm planning my Camino for May 2014 and have been looking forward to this for ten years now. I can't wait to hear from you! Thanks :)

H

Susann
View attachment 6022

Hi Susann! Your photos are so beautiful....Makes me even more giddy just looking at them :D I am planning my Camino for May 2014 as well! I'd love to chat with you about your plans...Oh, & I'm also living in the Dallas area as well!

Howdy from Padre Island, TX. Planning my Camino in late March or early April. I am planning to take the Portuguese route. It will be my first. Keep in touch, we may cross paths.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Bozzie,

I am walking in July/august. Have not done it before and would love to chat with a fellow Texan...

Brenda
Corpus Christi

Hola!
I walked from SJPP to Santiago this past sept/oct '12...taking 35 days to make the journey. It was an amazing experience. If you'd like to chat or communicate about the Camino, please PM me and I'll be happy to share my experience with you. I'm not in your age group, but I might be of help in answering questions. :).
Buen Camino!
"Bozzie"
(Dee Anne)

Leaving from Houston with wife, daughter and friend in April to begin in SJPP to Santiago. AmericanPilgrims.com Houston chapter has been a big help with preparation.

Hey Brenda! I am leaving April 7th. I live on North Padre. Maybe we could get together?

I would love to visit... I have been introduced to several others recently who have completed it in the last year.
Awesome! I am leaving town Friday for two weeks, but we could possibly meet for lunch or coffee after I return on March 12th. Are the individuals you've met in Corpus? It would be AWESOME to meet someone who has already walked. I look forward to meeting you!

Awesome! I am leaving town Friday for two weeks, but we could possibly meet for lunch or coffee after I return on March 12th. Are the individuals you've met in Corpus? It would be AWESOME to meet someone who has already walked. I look forward to meeting you!

Yes
My phone 3618135234 call when u return and we will set something up to meet with whoever is available of the five ...two live in the valley

B

Havent done the pilgrimage..yet, but working on hardening a broken down body here in Corpus Christi. Im glad to see a vibrant community here in hte area whove experienced the road.Good Luck and Blessings to you all going on ahead of me!

Leaving Houston to Barcelona Sept 25 2014. 49 days!!! Pray for me!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello! I know this is an older thread, but are there any other Texas pilgrims out there? I am walking in May/June 2015 and I am curious to see if there are others folks in North Texas.

Hello! I know this is an older thread, but are there any other Texas pilgrims out there? I am walking in May/June 2015 and I am curious to see if there are others folks in North Texas.
Old misplaced displaced Texan (A&M, Class of 1966) will be leaving Roncesvalles 1 May 2015. Was originally from Texarkana before I graduated from A&M. Say howdy as you pass me. Buen Camino.

I'm heading to Madrid in a few days and should start my camino on June 11.

Old misplaced displaced Texan (A&M, Class of 1966) will be leaving Roncesvalles 1 May 2015. Was originally from Texarkana before I graduated from A&M. Say howdy as you pass me. Buen Camino.
as I write this you may be on Camino, hope all is well, I live south of Texarkana , in Arkansas,

Are any Austinites interested in meeting up for a hike sometime? I just got back a few weeks ago, and I am missing the walking and camaraderie.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are any Austinites interested in meeting up for a hike sometime? I just got back a few weeks ago, and I am missing the walking and camaraderie.
Just found this. We're from near Austin and are planning our Camino for late April-May. Trying desperately to get in shape for it and would love to meet up with other Central Texans.

I am walking the Camino in April-May 2016
When I get back would like to continue hiking so maybe we can get a group together then if the offer is still open.

Sounds great! I know San Antonio has an affiliate of the Americans on the Camino organization, so maybe we could start one in Austin. Or a Meetup group. We leave on April 20th for a few days in Barcelona. Plan to start walking from St. Jean on April 25th. Just booked our flight Friday and are really getting excited now. Maybe we'll see you! I see you're from Georgetown. I hear you have some nice hiking trails up there. Mary

Aww great to find Texas pilgrims...In Houston, booked flight for Sept 15th for my first camino...arriving in Porto, starting in Valenca!!! Super excited and a little nervous..

Amy here from Amarillo. I'm walking my old life away may- June 2016. Is anyone past or future pilgrim near Amarillo?

I'm from Michigan, but met a 78 year old guy from El Paso walking with his daughter in June 2015 somewhere after Roncesvalles. We met again in June 2016 after Ventosa, and again 3 days later in Burgos. I called him "Texas" and he called me "Michigan" bueno camino, señor Texas. I will return May 30, walking from Santo Domingo dela Calzada for 18-20 days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please add me to your forum. I am in Greater Houston area and in training for 2021 Camino

July 2017 I ran into four sisters who were from somewhere near San Antonio. They. Were. A. Hoot. I love people from Texas. We were sitting on the bench at the chapel at Cruz de Ferro and one of the sisters was reading a Catholic devotional to us.

"...and Mary had hemorrhoids..."

Me: "WHAT?!!! Y'all must have a different Bible than I do! I've never heard that!"

Other sister: "Don't mind her; she meant 'hemorrhage' She's always confused."

We've met tons of Texans on the camino this summer, and a Classical guitarist from Corpus Christi is playing two weeks of concerts real soon for Camino Artes series in Carrion de los Condes, Villacazar, Fromista, and Moratinos.

Y'all come!
Reb
Home Town CC

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'm in Vidor Texas for a while. Just lost my Dad. I sold my home in Texas and moved to Spain two years ago after walking the my first of four Caminos from four years ago. It was a life changing event. From pain to blessing, my father left me enough to buy something to turn into an albergue. Now I need to walk again my first camino. The Frances. I would love to meet other Texas pilgrims. We are family.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.