A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Texting issue

Bluedog

Austin, Texas
Camino(s) past & future
None yet. Departing from Lisbon on April 17 (2019)
Hello

I have been in Lisbon for a couple of days. Having a great time.

With three different sim cards in my Moto Android phone, I cannot text to the US.

I get the message "service not active on the network". And sometimes "error 50."

Interestingly, at the last store, we tested a text to a porteguese number and it worked.

Any ideas how to resolve this? The guys at the stores say "it should work.".

Internet works, maps, email, etc. Just not texts.

Many thanks

Tom

Bradypus

Antediluvian
Camino(s) past & future
Too many and too often!
Have you added the international dialling code to the contact numbers you are texting? Same as when making a voice call.

PS. Just looked up the SMS error codes and found this for 'error 50': "Requested facility not subscribed" This cause indicates that the requested short message service could not be provided by the network because the user has not completed the necessary administrative arrangements with its supporting networks. Are you sure that the SIM cards you are using have international service enabled by default or that you have turned on that option with the network?

Last edited:

Rick M

Camino(s) past & future
April ('16,'18, '19)
Most likely your phone contact list is all numbers in the form of (CCC)xxx-yyyy. Won't work when calling from outside of NA. Try manually texting to +1cccxxxyyyy. You get the + symbol by holding the 0 key from the keypad.

Buen Camino

C clearly

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016). Seville-Astorga (Mar 2017). Mozarabe (Apr-May 2018)
Some phone plans in Spain don't include phone messaging. Europeans seems to use Whatsapp as the norm. Is it possible that the test message you made in Portugal actually went through WhatsApp? (Just my thought with no real knowledge of how that might happen.)

Bluedog

Austin, Texas
Camino(s) past & future
None yet. Departing from Lisbon on April 17 (2019)
Thanks all. I will try these suggestions.

lt56ny

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF2012,Le Puy/CF 2015 Portugues 2017 Norte 2018, CF 2019
Thanks all. I will try these suggestions.
As others suggested I would install Wattsapp on your phone and have everyone back home that you need to contact download it also. I live in Mexico and everyone in Latin America uses it as well as Europe. It is not only a great texting app but you can use it for telephone calls (for free). If your wifi is strong enough you can even do video calls on it. You can send photos and also send and receive your location. It is a free app and I have read in many places it has great security for the user when it comes to hackers.

jmcarp

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances, 2013
Camino del Norte a Chimayó (USA), 2015
Camino Portugues, 2017
It should be noted that WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, Skype, et.al. require either wifi or mobile data. Just sayin'.

OLDER threads on this topic

Book your lodging here

Booking.com

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 12 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 146 14.9%
  • May

Votes: 248 25.2%