• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

TGV direction of travel

stsantia

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés, May 2023
Hoping someone could advice further on this.

I'll be traveling from Montparnasse to SJPDP on TGV INOUI 8531.
I can't seem to locate the direction of train travel to ensure i'm booking a fwd facing seat.
This used to be labelled in the seating legend but doesn't show.

Is anyone aware or can pt me elsewhere to find out pls?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hoping someone could advice further on this.

I'll be traveling from Montparnasse to SJPDP on TGV INOUI 8531.
I can't seem to locate the direction of train travel to ensure i'm booking a fwd facing seat.
This used to be labelled in the seating legend but doesn't show.

Is anyone aware or can pt me elsewhere to find out pls?
I don’t know but I’d try:

1. The man in seat 61. Not much about rail travel that isn’t explained there.
2. Alternate ticket booking sites such as Trainline and Rail Europe. Going through the booking process (without necessarily completing) may offer the choice.

When I go to the SNCF website (I assume -- it's sncf-connect.com, it looks official), when you get to the screen where you pick a seat, there is a picture of the train cars, and a double arrow >> at one end in the direction of travel.
train.png

The part below this shows the seats of the selected car, then the legend at the bottom confirms:

legend.png

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When I go to the SNCF website (I assume -- it's sncf-connect.com, it looks official), when you get to the screen where you pick a seat, there is a picture of the train cars, and a double arrow >> at one end in the direction of travel.
View attachment 140593

The part below this shows the seats of the selected car, then the legend at the bottom confirms:

View attachment 140594
Thank you for taking the time to check. I see what the issue is.
It is not showing me the train direction for May departures.
However, looking at the same train no at an earlier month, i can see the train direction.
I'll use that as a gauge.

My experience with reservations on SNCF:
You are obliged to make a seat reservation, but - in my opinion - not forced to keep the reserved seat as you are free to hang around in the cafetaria as well.
So: At the start I always take the reserved seat (ticket inspectors sometimes take it seriously).
After that I may stroll around for empty/non reserved seats: Sometimes one car is fairly crowded, the neighbouring car is fairly empty. Then I may feel free for a change.
By the way: Sometimes even TGVs change the direction - not on the line to Boredeaux.

Most read last week in this forum

hola, I have been trying to book a train from Madrid to Sarria to meet with friends on the Camino. The process works until the payment page. It asks for an email address and a phone number...
Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back