• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

TGV Paris - Bayonne - Any recent passengers? Should we bother?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Hi,

We arrive in Paris on Monday (23rd April) and plan to head down to St Jean next day.

And Yes, the 24th April is a train strike day........

We booked the TGV some weeks back but also have Easyjet tickets to Biarritz as a Plan B.

As we are staying close to Gare Montparnasse Monday I plan to go over to the station to see if our train is running (not all trains are cancelled on strike days it seems)

IF the train is running, should we even bother boarding it? I imagine passengers from cancelled trains will also be crammed on board? Is it floor to ceiling passengers with no room to move?

Has anyone recently travelled on a TGV on a strike day?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Robo, do the SNCF have your email address? Apparently they do contact people with reservations to say if their train is running....
I am so sorry (I'm French) :(

Hi Robo, do the SNCF have your email address? Apparently they do contact people with reservations to say if their train is running....

Hi. Yes, they have emailed to advise that the train might be cancelled, but we won't know until 5pm the day before.

I would rather travel by train if possible. Just wondered if they were over crowded.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi. Yes, they have emailed to advise that the train might be cancelled, but we won't know until 5pm the day before.

I would rather travel by train if possible. Just wondered if they were over crowded.

From watching the French news non-stop these last weeks (sigh), some trains were VERY VERY crowded others quite empty as people made alternative arrangements. The overcrowded trains seemed to be mostly into Paris as people went to work....
The real answer is: I don't knoooooow.

The service to Bayonne is less badly affected than others, though I'd advise you to try for a train as early in the morning as will be doable for you, so that you have a better chance for a replacement train if it's one that's cancelled.

The Bayonne to SJPP service seems to be running normally now, even on strike days, but even supposing it were cancelled, provided you can get into Bayonne before 1 PM, you can catch a local bus up to Saint Palais, from where there's a local bus to SJPP. Or if you can only make it to Saint Palais, if you got into Bayonne later, there's a pilgrim refugio there that you could stay in.

So basically yeah, one way or another you can get there by train.

Hi,

We arrive in Paris on Monday (23rd April) and plan to head down to St Jean next day.

And Yes, the 24th April is a train strike day........

We booked the TGV some weeks back but also have Easyjet tickets to Biarritz as a Plan B.

As we are staying close to Gare Montparnasse Monday I plan to go over to the station to see if our train is running (not all trains are cancelled on strike days it seems)

IF the train is running, should we even bother boarding it? I imagine passengers from cancelled trains will also be crammed on board? Is it floor to ceiling passengers with no room to move?

Has anyone recently travelled on a TGV on a strike day?
Sorry, I cannot answer your question, but i just want to say sorry for your trouble, stress is not what you want pre camino. You do have the flight tickets in your back pocket, so if possible, just try to leave it alone till you get to Paris. I know it is easy for me to say, it is you with the dilemma...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Sorry, I cannot answer your question, but i just want to say sorry for your trouble, stress is not what you want pre camino. You do have the flight tickets in your back pocket, so if possible, just try to leave it alone till you get to Paris. I know it is easy for me to say, it is you with the dilemma...

Not stressing, just curious ;)

I think we'll just use the EasyJet flight anyway.

Looking forward to getting underway :D

The Hill awaits. I can't wait to see Pat's face when we get to that climb just below Hunto :eek::eek:

I was on the TGV last week (not that route though). Both times it was on the day after a strike day. I assumed they'd be busy. They weren't. Also, TGVs require seat reservations so, if it's running, I'd say you'll be grand.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We had reservations last week on a strike day. We were in Paris early, and the advice was go earlier and avoid a strike day if possible. We did, and spent an extra night in Bayonne. The next day - April 9 - we took the train, that is really a bus, to sjpp. That service is operating normally. On that day, one train from Paris was scheduled, rather than the usual every few hours. I don't know if it operated or not, it was scheduled for 4:45, and we left at noon. Good luck and buen Camino

NEVER, EVER apologize because you are French, or any other nationality. We are all one community here in the forum.

Vive la difference!

On that day, one train from Paris was scheduled, rather than the usual every few hours. I don't know if it operated or not, it was scheduled for 4:45, and we left at noon.

IIRC most trips from Paris on those first couple of strike days required changing at Bordeaux -- it's possible too that you were unaware of some early morning trains on your travel day, as they would have already arrived by then.

Also, hmmmmm, arrivals boards don't always show all coming arrivals, just those in the coming hours.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
eh, and you've just missed the last bus to Saint Palais as well ... :confused:

Oh well, good luck in the morning !!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Robo

We were booked on the TVG to Bayonne April 19 (a strike day too). The train only goes as far as Bordeaux. You only find out what is going to happen at 17:00 the day before. Good luck

Train to Bayonne was perfect. No train to St Jean Pied de Port but a bus was substituted. It took 2 hrs and had no bathroom. Fore warned is fire armed

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
All I know is that they refund every ticket any time before your trip, also the non refundable. This because they cannot guarantee the trip.

I'm booking Train from Gare Montparnasse for May 30th - didn't hear anything about Train strike days - will I be ok? Used OUI.sncf site ?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You should be informed by emil if your train is cancelled. At the moment no strikes are scheduled for 30/05.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year made the mistake of travelling after the 500k walk to Porto and Barcelona and Cadaqués then the UK.(All amazing) but I was too tired to make the most of it. So this year I’m lucky...
I trying to purchase my one way ticket from Santiago de Compostela to Porto.I cannot find any info on bringing my luggage with me( a small carry on and a knapsack) anyone taken this bus? Can I...
Trying to determine best way from Madrid airport to Leon? Thank you
Beginning March 1, my husband and I walked from Santo Domingo de la Calzada to Astorga on the CF. Prior to our trip, I had contracted with Jacotrans to move our bags for 21 straight days...
Just saw a press release from Correos announcing that they will be offering a left luggage service at all of their 2,000+ offices throughout Spain. For up to 15 days at a time...
Hi All, I have booked a walking week away from home arriving in Porto on 9th May at 19.10 (all being well). My initial intention was travel to Vigo by train and walk to Santiago, returning to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back