• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thank You!

EileenKorczak

Time of past OR future Camino
Started 11th April 2018 but had to stop due to accident. Will return in September.
Hello All, I want to use this forum to say thank you to all who helped me a week ago.
My darling husband & I arrived in SJPP on 11th April to begin our Camino. We met some wonderful people and had two challenging but amazing walking days. On Friday, the final descent into Roncesvalles I stupidly tripped on the main road falling forwards smashing my glasses, my face and my hand! Suddenly we had so much help. I was tended by the wonderful Bill, a doctor from Florida who gave me so much reassurance. A kind local Spanish lady stopped her car, helped my husband with the emergency call and drove me to the local medical centre. There, I was tended by the gp until an ambulance arrived to take me to Pamplona. I was triaged, xrayed, sewn up, plastered, splinted (my nose) and given prescription for needed medications. The healthcare was truly brilliant.
Sadly, we decided to return home after resting in Pamplona for the weekend. So we are now home and I will heal and recover. We will be back to continue our walk.
I just really need to say thank you to everyone who helped. I don't really know who else was supporting but there were many. It feeds ones spirit to know that there is kindness and humanity in our world.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sorry to hear that your first Camino ended so suddenly and painfully. It must have been very frustrating and probably frightening too when far from home. It is heartening to read how well you were supported through the accident and that you will be coming back to carry on. Your spirit sounds like it is still in good shape! Pax et bonum.

Take care of yourself. People ask me why I return to the camino and I always mention how wonderful the Spanish people are. They really do look after pilgrims. Glad that so many fellow pilgrims also came to your aid. Your story confirms what I have heard about the wonderful medical care in Spain. Thank you for posting your story and hope to hear about the rest of your camino adventure in September!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
So sorry to hear this happened to you, Eileen. But what a wonderful story of help and care - all those lovely people. The Camino spirit in action! And excellent medical care too. Great to hear you plan to return and carry on. In the meantime - rest up and I hope your injuries heal quickly!

I'm sorry for your fall, Eileen - such a sudden and painful change of fortune!
Any of us who have done a faceplant on the way can commiserate and understand how quickly this can happen and the shock of how everything changes in a moment.
But, yes...the care all along the way is what makes the Camino so special. How wonderful that you have found the silver lining and can return to continue walking.
It feeds ones spirit to know that there is kindness and humanity in our world.
It is too easy to forget this, but it IS there, abundantly!

Hello All, I want to use this forum to say thank you to all who helped me a week ago.
My darling husband & I arrived in SJPP on 11th April to begin our Camino. We met some wonderful people and had two challenging but amazing walking days. On Friday, the final descent into Roncesvalles I stupidly tripped on the main road falling forwards smashing my glasses, my face and my hand! Suddenly we had so much help. I was tended by the wonderful Bill, a doctor from Florida who gave me so much reassurance. A kind local Spanish lady stopped her car, helped my husband with the emergency call and drove me to the local medical centre. There, I was tended by the gp until an ambulance arrived to take me to Pamplona. I was triaged, xrayed, sewn up, plastered, splinted (my nose) and given prescription for needed medications. The healthcare was truly brilliant.
Sadly, we decided to return home after resting in Pamplona for the weekend. So we are now home and I will heal and recover. We will be back to continue our walk.
I just really need to say thank you to everyone who helped. I don't really know who else was supporting but there were many. It feeds ones spirit to know that there is kindness and humanity in our world.
That is the great golden thread running through all the Caminos: the incredible kindness of strangers

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back