• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thank you

Sansthing

Time of past OR future Camino
French Camino (2009), French Camino (2011), Via de la Plata (2012), Camino Inglês (2014),
Well, a week today and I´ll be on my way (gulp). Nervous, excited, apprehensive and dying to get going, usual pilgrim feelings for a first Camino I imagine. As I´m sure it is usual behaviour to keep packing and unpacking your ruck sack and changing your mind about what you can do without!

I just wanted to say a big thank you to all the wonderful helpful people on this forum. Your support, encouragement and advice is amazing, I salute you all :D

I´ll try and keep my blog going while I am walking, time and energy permitting.

My forum badge is sewn on so I hope I´ll bump into some of you on the Way.

Buen Camino

Sandra

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Sansthing wrote
As I´m sure it is usual behaviour to keep packing and unpacking your ruck sack and changing your mind about what you can do without!
and
I´ll try and keep my blog going while I am walking, time and energy permitting.
Yes, Terry kept packing and unpacking up to the last day. Partly to make sure that he had just what he needed and also to check how it balanced and accessibilty of things. So, happy packing.

We are managing his blog http://walktocompostela.blogspot.com/ between us. He texts me, and I add to it, when he has not got a cyber café near. Do you have a family member or friend who would do that for you?
Every blessing on your Camino
Tia Valeria

Hi Sandra,
I checked the Camino Calendar but didn't see your departure marked there. Would you be ok with adding it? I start from SJPP on May 10 but I can't tell if we'd possibly meet or not.

I join you in your appreciation for this forum. I'm a first-timer and benefited SO MUCH from all the info here.

Buen Camino Peregrina Futura
Nicki

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks for your suggestion, Tia Valeria, but I´m not taking a phone with me. I live in Brazil and it all looked a bit complicated and expensive, so I plan to keep in touch with the family by e-mail.

I am on the calendar, Nicki, as Sansthing leaving Roncesvalles May 13th. I think it may actually be 14th now as I´ve realized I´ll probably have to overnight in Pamplona on the way there. There´s only a couple of days between us, so our paths might cross somewhere :) .

Sandra

Hello Sandra,
It's not the worst thing to have an overnight in Pamplona on your way to begin the Camino. That way you get to see the sights of the city (and there is plenty to see!) at your leisure. When you walk back through you've already explored the city and can pass through without having to stop again. Be sure to have a cafe or a copa in the Bar Irun - a beautifully nostalgic bar that was a favourite haunt of Ernest Hemingway. It still looks today they way it did in Hemingway's day. Right on the Plaza Mayor - very pretty!

And it is interesting to walk the 'encierro' - the path that the bulls run during San Fermín. Regardless of whether one likes or dislikes bullfighting, it is an integral part of the life of Pamplona. Lovely city, Pamplona.

Buen Camino,

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Deirdre, I really like your suggestions for Pamplona, thanks. The Bar Irun sounds a must. I shall have a whole day for sightseeing so I am glad to hear it is a lovely city.

Sandra

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back