• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thankfully continuing once again

mspath

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, autumn/winter; 2004, 2005-2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015
27To_Castrojeriz2_001.jpg

.............................. Sunrise west of Hontanas 11/11/2012

"Life is the fire that burns and the sun that gives light.
Life is the wind and the rain and the thunder in the sky.
Life is matter and is earth, what is and what is not,
and what beyond is in Eternity."
Seneca

From 2004 through 2012 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety
eight times. Each pilgrimage developed into a rich mix of old friends and
new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, most importantly,
philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived.
... Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become a particular pleasure whether talking with another pilgrim or writing alone for an unknown reader;
since 2009 sharing and participating in this unique Forum is now part of my daily life.

Although age and time will inevitably take their toll, hopefully my
personal memories will endure; sentimentally I shall always wear a shell.
Now at 74 what matters most is to continue!

Thus, thankful, respectful and humble,
but still curious and with an ever eager heart
I will walk again the Camino Frances starting October 15.

Why do I do this?
My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Additional philosophic and spiritual reasons are cited in this profile.

If you, too, are walking perhaps our paths may cross;
if not please follow my blog, M's Camino .

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I look forward to "following" you Margaret. Have just loaded your blog onto my bookmarks... and I had a quick look at your Camino Gazetteer. What a great resource you have assembled there!
Buen Camino
KiwiNomad Margaret

I so appreciate your energy, your words and your attitude. Buen Camino!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Oh Margaret, how I wish our paths would cross! Only I'll be starting my second Camino in May 2014 and I will have my 72nd birthday some where along the way. Can't keep a good woman down, now can they. I'm so happy you are walking again and I'll follow your blog. Buen Camino

Oh Margaret, how I wish our paths would cross! Only I'll be starting my second Camino in May 2014 and I will have my 72nd birthday some where along the way. Can't keep a good woman down, now can they. I'm so happy you are walking again and I'll follow your blog. Buen Camino

Patty and Mspath, you both have given me perspective and inspiration. God Bless you both. I'm starting my camino at the end of October and hope I can catch up to you Mspath but won't be surprised if I don't.

Thank you, Margaret. I am really looking forward to reading about your journey(s), both past and present. A very sincere Buen Camino to you.
Charleen

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I find it odd how technology offers us the chance to know people that we have never met. I have appreciated your comments so often and in so many ways. I pray that this Camino exceeds all wants, desires, and expectations. It is true that we repeatedly walk the Camino, but each Camino is like a new book; there are similarities, but there is a new plot and new characters. The wonderful thing is that we each get to join with the millions of other pilgrims that have walked this Way for so many, many years. In so many ways the Camino offers us the opportunity to open the door of eternity and rejoice. May each day begin in thankfulness and each evening in peace. A heartfelt Buen Camino.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Buen Camino ! ! Enjoy what you like most and get others inspired!
What a beautiful task!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hello Margaret,
We all know how much wisdom and support you bring to the forum and what a catalyst you are encouraging others to take that first step- but what I'd love to know is just how many pilgrims have been intrigued, informed,inspired and lets face it gobsmacked (google it) by meeting you en route. The Classics, Philosophy, Art history Literature, History etc etc and a walking 'hands on' (or rather 'feet on') encyclopedia of all things Camino combined in one modest package........ good grief it must be like meeting......Gandalf! (but without the beard and much younger and prettier of course):)
Dul go maith
Nell

P.S. let me explain the Gandalf bit I was trying to come up with a hybrid of Meyer Schapiro, Tamar Szabo Gendler and Ray Mears (definitely not Bear Grylls) when Gandalf just came to mind. I'm open to other suggestions though.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I too liked the albergue in Viloria de Rioja. Acácio e Orieta have created a most comfortable oasis from abandoned animal sheds; there are 10 comfy bunks in a dorm heated by a wood burning stove and great showers that water you and not the ceiling, walls or your clothes. Wifi is available as is a multilingual library specializing in books by Paulo Coelho. Perfect!! .. I hope to return later this autumn.
You will make it before they close for the season!! Buen camino.

Ah you my inspiration Margaret! My blessings to and for you. I will enjoy reading your blog. Buen Camino.

Buen camino!!
Your blog is very encouraging and useful because I hope to do the CF between november and december.
Mucha suerte

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Ultreia!!

Hello margaret,

Have a safe and enjoyable camino.

Buen camino and god bless.

Go well and safely, Margaret. Hope we meet some day on The Way or in Paris!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I
27To_Castrojeriz2_001.jpg

.............................. Sunrise west of Hontanas 11/11/2012

"Life is the fire that burns and the sun that gives light.
Life is the wind and the rain and the thunder in the sky.
Life is matter and is earth, what is and what is not,
and what beyond is in Eternity."
Seneca

From 2004 through 2012 I have walked the Camino Frances in its entirety
eight times. Each pilgrimage developed into a rich mix of old friends and
new, fickleness of weather, stamina and health and, most importantly,
philosophical musings and personal thanksgiving for each day lived.
... Subsequently providing information about the Camino has become a particular pleasure whether talking with another pilgrim or writing alone for an unknown reader;
since 2009 sharing and participating in this unique Forum is now part of my daily life.

Although age and time will inevitably take their toll, hopefully my
personal memories will endure; sentimentally I shall always wear a shell.
Now at 74 what matters most is to continue!

Thus, thankful, respectful and humble,
but still curious and with an ever eager heart
I will walk again the Camino Frances starting October 15.

Why do I do this?
My laconic answer is from Pascal's Pensées "le cœur a ses raisons que la raison ne connaît pas/ the heart has its reasons, of which reason knows nothing."
Additional philosophic and spiritual reasons are cited in this profile.

If you, too, are walking perhaps our paths may cross;
if not please follow my blog, M's Camino .

Ultreia!

Margaret Meredith

I'm in awe if you, Margaret! I love your posts in the Forum, and I love this picture you took. So beautiful!! I'm planning on my 2nd Camino in April, 2015 and I'll be 70 yrs old by then. You are an inspiration . May God continue to bless you. Buen Camino.
Remy from Indianapolis

When preparing for my Camino, I often came to this forum in search of reliable, solid info. Margaret was usually my go-to source, I always looked for her replies in threads. Amid a lively group of alpha personalities, newbies, Camino enthusiasts and snake oil vendors, Margaret remains a beacon of Camino wisdom and pragmatism. No ego, no axe to grind, just the straight truth delivered with erudition and kindness.

Buen Camino, MM, and many more.

All the very best, Margaret. I'll check up on your Blog once we return to Costa Rica on 17th Oct. We are still working in the Pilgrim's Office for the next week, which is very interesting, seeing the other side of the Pilgrim facade. The new offices opened yesterday (left hand side, at the end of the courtyard) no more climbning up those stairs!
Buen Camino. I'll be following you! Anne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Margaret:

The personal insight/comments you have shared, I have found to be stimulating on several issues. You have been and are a significant mentor on this forum. Thank you.

I have never walked a Fall Camino but 2015 might be the year.

Ultreya,
Joe

Margaret,
I can only echo what others have already said and add one heart-felt comment.......... This is excellent news and whilst so many have learned from you, been given succour, hope and motivation through your posts here; there is a group of lucky pilgrims yet to be identified who will be on The Way at the same time as you who will find a friend, fellow pilgrim and mentor to help them on their way.

Buen Camino my digital friend.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
There's an 'energy' to this thread that so encapsulates the meaning of Camino. Thank you for that Margaret.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Margaret, may the sun rise behind you and the breeze be at your back.

Buen camino

Seamus

Margaret,
I can only echo what others have already said and add one heart-felt comment.......... This is excellent news and whilst so many have learned from you, been given succour, hope and motivation through your posts here; there is a group of lucky pilgrims yet to be identified who will be on The Way at the same time as you who will find a friend, fellow pilgrim and mentor to help them on their way.

Buen Camino my digital friend.

My thoughts precisely. Thank you so much for all you have given. You are such a pro at this game now, that I'm sure you could just pick up your bag and be off....I'll bookmark your blog now in case you change your mind and go sooner!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
All the very best, Margaret. I'll check up on your Blog once we return to Costa Rica on 17th Oct. We are still working in the Pilgrim's Office for the next week, which is very interesting, seeing the other side of the Pilgrim facade. The new offices opened yesterday (left hand side, at the end of the courtyard) no more climbning up those stairs!
Buen Camino. I'll be following you! Anne

hello anna and fraluchi,

enjoy your voluntary work as amigos in the pilgrim office.

god bless.

I don't think Margaret has posted on the forum since starting out, but I just thought to check her blog and see that she is in Estella. So this is a heads up for anyone else who is as forgetful as I am!

mscamino.blogspot.fr

Your response to one of my posts encouraged me to do the Meseta when I was pretty much settled on skipping it. Not sure what am I prouder off, to have had the wisdom to listened to you or to persevered on a difficult journey that took great to sublime. All the best wishes Meredith! May this Camino blessed you in ways that not even you have think about in yet! :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Me too. I miss her comments.
Buen Camino Margaret. I know you will be having a wonderful time.

Margaret! Welcome back! So good to hear from you. I've been wondering how you are. :)

Yesterday I walked into Santiago de Compostela and up the hill to the cathedral. Thus, my 9th Camino Frances is now complete after walking 8 weeks for 5/6 hours each day always carrying my loaded pack. Ouf! Weary but thrilled I am sincerely grateful that I made it once again at 74.

All of us who walk here whatever our reasons or beliefs must share similar quickened emotions upon arrival; mine are a complex mix of euphoria and sadness. The weight of history is so great in Santiago with the accumulated layers of centuries both visible and invisible. One can see much and also feel or imagine even more such as hoards of past pilgrims following the same timeless route towards the cathedral throughout the centuries.

When at last I arrived as always I put my hand on the ancient stones and wept. Then I entered and sat quietly within the great nave offereing silent thanks for all that has been that enabled this.

Peace.

Margaret Meredith

Congratulations Margaret on the successful end to a journey that always has both difficulties and joys. There is something about the pull that Santiago exerts. I am glad you had the chance to know it again.
Margaret R

Yesterday I walked into Santiago de Compostela and up the hill to the cathedral. Thus, my 9th Camino Frances is now complete after walking 8 weeks for 5/6 hours each day always carrying my loaded pack. Ouf! Weary but thrilled I am sincerely grateful that I made it once again at 74.

All of us who walk here whatever our reasons or beliefs must share similar quickened emotions upon arrival; mine are a complex mix of euphoria and sadness. The weight of history is so great in Santiago with the accumulated layers of centuries both visible and invisible. One can see much and also feel or imagine even more such as hoards of past pilgrims following the same timeless route towards the cathedral throughout the centuries.

When at last I arrived as always I put my hand on the ancient stones and wept. Then I entered and sat quietly within the great nave offereing silent thanks for all that has been that enabled this.

Peace.

Margaret Meredith
This is wonderful to read Margaret. Congratulations and thank you for your wisdom, encouragement and brilliant Camino spirit. CathieTherese. xo

Peace.

Margaret Meredith
On ya Mags.
Love the photo.

Regds
Gerard

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Peace.

Margaret Meredith

I have enjoyed your blog posts so much -- words carefully chosen and very evocative. Thanks for letting us in to your Camino, Margaret, and wishing you a relaxing time in Santiago. Laurie

Well done, Margaret. I have so enjoyed following you on your Blog. Enjoy your time in Santiago! Anne​

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Congratulations Margaret, you gave me huge amounts of useful advice before I set off on my Pilgrimage, I was lucky enough that our paths crossed and I met you briefly in León. I ended up just getting all my hair chopped off in León and was trying to get used to the new look in the shower room! The following morning just before I set off I had told you that my boyfriend in Poland was sitting his Masters Exam that day and you had wished him good luck. This good luck wishes must have been heard. He passed his Masters Exam and now has MSc in Production Engineering!

Many thanks
Kathryn

Margaret, you make me feel so unworthy. What an example you set for all of us! I, for one, am in awe of your accomplishments.

When I tell people I am going to do the Camino Frances a second time in 2014, the reactions are either derision or varied negativity. People who have not done it, just cannot understand.

My reply is to simply ask how many times can you go to Paris and say you have seen it all and have been satisfied?

Even though last year was my first time on Camino, the depth of emotion, the deep and thorough effects, and the need to seek and learn more is bringing me back. I can only hope to remain healthy enough to do it again, and again...

Thank you for being you! I wish you all the best for this year and for many more to come.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.