• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thanks & Gratitude .. A Saudi on the Camino

Salman

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2016
Hello everyone,

In October 2015, i decided that i would hike El Camino, at the time i knew so little about the pilgrimage way other than the history and the fact that it still exists.

I hiked the Camino Frances during April & May 2016, solo. I'm a traveller, i love people, and along the way i met very nice people with whom i know we will be life long friends.

I'm a Muslim, and from Saudi Arabia, and i think i'm one of the very first from my country to ever go for this pilgrimage. It was very interesting to see people's reaction when they knew where i was from, and asking why would a muslim ever walk all the way to Santiago. I enjoyed the countless times that i was told that i was the first Saudi to stay at the Albergue.

I guess i just wanted to thank you all for the support and assistance, for the helpful notes, advice and information.

This forum was and still is a valuable source and i can't thank you enough.

Until my next Camino...
Salman

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Is it desert where you live in Saudi? We live in the Arizona desert and I am learning how to deal with hiking in the rain on the forum. Europe is much more cold and wet than we are used to at home.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Is it desert where you live in Saudi? We live in the Arizona desert and I am learning how to deal with hiking in the rain on the forum. Europe is much more cold and wet than we are used to at home.

Well, we have green mountains in the south, snow during winter in the north. But i live in the centre where it is Hot in the summer (40+ C , these days). Similar to the weather in Arizona desert.

I personally love cold weather so it was great for me. Just make sure you have the right cloths and equipment and you will be fine.

Good Luck :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Almost. There were 3 last year, only one the year before! Congratulations.

You are right, heard of those guys,

There was a young lady as well right about the same time i was there, a couple of weeks ahead of me.

Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Congratulations Salman, sorry I missed you.

Welcome Salman!

I often describe the Camino experience as the United Nations on feet. It is wonderful to add yet another perspective to the collective. It enriches us all.

Hello everyone,

In October 2015, i decided that i would hike El Camino, at the time i knew so little about the pilgrimage way other than the history and the fact that it still exists.

I hiked the Camino Frances during April & May 2016, solo. I'm a traveller, i love people, and along the way i met very nice people with whom i know we will be life long friends.

I'm a Muslim, and from Saudi Arabia, and i think i'm one of the very first from my country to ever go for this pilgrimage. It was very interesting to see people's reaction when they knew where i was from, and asking why would a muslim ever walk all the way to Santiago. I enjoyed the countless times that i was told that i was the first Saudi to stay at the Albergue.

I guess i just wanted to thank you all for the support and assistance, for the helpful notes, advice and information.

Until my next Camino...
Salman
Awesome! Thanks for posting. It has been a pilgrimage route since long before there were Christians. So it's not so surprising. Although you may be the first Muslim from Saudi that hospitaleros have seen, there have been many others from the Arab world. And Christianity most certainly has a long history as well in the Arab world.
Never the less. It's good to know, you had such a positive experience.
Begs the question, "Can't we all get along?" Clearly, we can.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm very glad you enjoy Camino de Santiago, I'm Spanish myself , I do work with Moslem people since twenty six year ago , I must say they are very nice and human people , us any other people from any corner of the world , ( I have never had any doubt about that).

The Camino the Santiago is a pilgrimage that is very easily enjoyable , is and outside experience with other human been, but most important is the internal experience that you can have inside yourself , I'm sure you have been touch by that , friendly peopople you can find any were around the world , but inner experience is easily felt at Camino the Santiago because is what everyone is there for .

Congratulations and I hope you can tell others in your country about your own experience ( sometimes is not easy to share with other what your experience are or what you felt ).

Thanks for sharing your experience and your own wiew or your journey on the Camino !

Buen Camino !

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hello everyone,

Until my next Camino...
Salman[/

Salman

It is very good to have you with us. As you discovered the world walks & we get closer because of it.
Keith

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome! Thanks for posting. It has been a pilgrimage route since long before there were Christians. So it's not so surprising. Although you may be the first Muslim from Saudi that hospitaleros have seen, there have been many others from the Arab world. And Christianity most certainly has a long history as well in the Arab world.
Never the less. It's good to know, you had such a positive experience.
Begs the question, "Can't we all get along?" Clearly, we can.

Definitely.. totally agree

This what really makes it special, the history, the diversity and the countless stories you collect along the way

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm very glad you enjoy Camino de Santiago, I'm Spanish myself , I do work with Moslem people since twenty six year ago , I must say they are very nice and human people , us any other people from any corner of the world , ( I have never had any doubt about that).

The Camino the Santiago is a pilgrimage that is very easily enjoyable , is and outside experience with other human been, but most important is the internal experience that you can have inside yourself , I'm sure you have been touch by that , friendly peopople you can find any were around the world , but inner experience is easily felt at Camino the Santiago because is what everyone is there for .

Congratulations and I hope you can tell others in your country about your own experience ( sometimes is not easy to share with other what your experience are or what you felt ).

Thanks for sharing your experience and your own wiew or your journey on the Camino !

Buen Camino !

You are right, it is all about the inner journey.

There is only a hand full of people from my country who have done the camino and only a few know about it.

I'm really happy that many of the people who followed my journey were inspired to take on the journey themselves one day.

Soon enough, or at least i hope, i will write a book about it as i'm a writer and it would be the first modern day book in Arabic to ever talk about the journey its self

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You are right, it is all about the inner journey.

There is only a hand full of people from my country who have done the camino and only a few know about it.

I'm really happy that many of the people who followed my journey were inspired to take on the journey themselves one day.

Soon enough, or at least i hope, i will write a book about it as i'm a writer and it would be the first modern day book in Arabic to ever talk about the journey its self

!مبروك
من فضلك عندما نشر الكتاب، يقول لنا

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back