• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thanks Theo : The Hardest Part in Meeting New People on the Camino is Knowing that are gone :S

Walid Medawar

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese ( July 2015 )
I know that we usually Share here the happy news of Meeting new People , I have lot of Good Memories like this , but Those happy Moments has sad moments in Return .
I'm sharing this Post to re-confirm to myself as to you my dear fellow pilgrims , the power of the Camino , the power of a small encounter on this camino .
Today Sadly , I knew that the person with whom I share my first Moment in my road to Santiago died in France. Theo Le rest , Leader in the " Chemins Jacquaires En Bretogne France " .
He was a dear friend Though I met him once and we walked together for few hours. It was Enough for us to become dear friends.
My story with Him started even here on this site , when I was planning to start my camino in France . He directly offered help and he organize for me a walk in France toward the " Mont St Michel "
I don't know what to say , his Death make me feel so sad , but even in his death , and for being a camino companion , he managed to show me a great message . The Message of true Friendship .

He has show me how can the beauty of the road be reflected in the our smile , attitude and openness to welcome strange people.

i wanted to commemorate him In the first Place i Met him and Thanks everyone who take part of the camino for making the camino Spirit as it beautiful as it is . In the sadness Moment I realized MOre of what I realized in my joyful moments.

My Dear Theo , It is never a Goodbye , since You will ever live in My heart

Rest In peace in your final Eternal Camino

Attachments

• 11692619_10153369560726206_2235060542318554407_n (1).jpg
    11692619_10153369560726206_2235060542318554407_n (1).jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 114
  • Théo.jpg
    Théo.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 106
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I know that we usually Share here the happy news of Meeting new People , I have lot of Good Memories like this , but Those happy Moments has sad moments in Return .
I'm sharing this Post to re-confirm to myself as to you my dear fellow pilgrims , the power of the Camino , the power of a small encounter on this camino .
Today Sadly , I knew that the person with whom I share my first Moment in my road to Santiago died in France. Theo Le rest , Leader in the " Chemins Jacquaires En Bretogne France " .
He was a dear friend Though I met him once and we walked together for few hours. It was Enough for us to become dear friends.
My story with Him started even here on this site , when I was planning to start my camino in France . He directly offered help and he organize for me a walk in France toward the " Mont St Michel "
I don't know what to say , his Death make me feel so sad , but even in his death , and for being a camino companion , he managed to show me a great message . The Message of true Friendship .

He has show me how can the beauty of the road be reflected in the our smile , attitude and openness to welcome strange people.

i wanted to commemorate him In the first Place i Met him and Thanks everyone who take part of the camino for making the camino Spirit as it beautiful as it is . In the sadness Moment I realized MOre of what I realized in my joyful moments.

Am thinking of you,Walid,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Hi Walid, so sorry to hear this. He looks to me as a very nice man.
I wish you all the strength for the coming periode .
Peter.

Walid

You have found something of the nature of the Divine Light.
That spark within.

To have known is one thing.
To have seen..another.
To have felt the touch of it, no matter how fleeting, is a Blessing.

To know it is not forever
To know that warmth and illumination in life, that gift...is truly THE gift.

You understand now the nature of it.
Now you have taken the Torch and can pass it on..and illuminate other lives with it.

That is what matters
This is a meaning..in Life
Of Life
One of many.

To know loss?
Is to have known what made them.."them"

To know loss
Is to have known laughter

To know loss
Is to have shared Time..that most precious commodity.

What Theo gave you
Was more than Gift.

It is a Task.

He entrusted you with a little piece of his life..of his light..
Knowing you a worthy vessel to carry forth the work of giving Light into..and onto the World.

How and when you do this?..he left no instruction
Only example.
So Follow your Heart
And others will benefit..through you, what he gave.to you.

Grieve
Because you must..
At the dying of the Light.

But know Sir
Know that now You..are a new bearer
And that you will now Illuminate the way..for others.

When one light gently and quietly grows dim
And those drawn to it come closer to be warmed and illuminated
Every last ember is precious
Do you understand?

And in the dying of this light
New fire..new light must be drawn from the old
And carried forth.

You
Will be sad for a time
Which is good, just and proper for thoae who you will miss.
But Your Light!
Your Light you carry,will burn like the Star in Heaven your friend has become!

Respectfully...

You take that light and shine it in someones darkness
And you will be the Blessing in their Life.

Be Blessed in these difficult times Mr.Walid.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

The second photo is really a Camino photo of a true Caminoist. May he rest in peace.

Such a bittersweet story. It is a reminder that we never know when we may be the one who touches a person's life forever, even if only in a brief encounter. I am sorry for the loss and the sadness it brings. I am so touched by your remembrance of him and I thank you for sharing. I pray for your comfort as you rejoice in the blessing of his memory as your friend.

We live on in the hearts of our friends. Thank you for posting.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Very good memories and moments , very bad news he left this world .
Keep the good moments with you and thank you for sharing !
He finish his Camino and we should keep walking .

Theo rest in peace with many other pilgrims that preceded us!
Buen Camino Ultreia !!

@Walid Medawar, your post is very touching, and remind's me of similar experience when I met with young woman trekking with terminal cancer on The Way..........
I often think the very essence of El Camino are those we meet, they inspire the Divine within, and all around us, and, as beautifully stated by @William Garza

...... in the dying of this light
New fire..new light must be drawn from the old
And carried forth.

RIP Theo,
Janice

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Thank you for sharing. Theo must have been very special. Peace to you and his family.

It's hard to lose anyone, whether family member or friend, no matter what the circumstances may be. I join with others in praying that his soul will rest in peace.

I wrote a short article about what to expect on the Camino that I share with others in our local chapter of the American Pilgrims on the Camino whom my wife and I mentor as they prepare for their journey. In that article I said, "...You’ll make friends for a day, a week, or a lifetime..." It's true: Camino friendships are that special. And by the way, Walid, your photo #2 of Theo is wonderful, both from an emotional and an artistic standpoint.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Very good memories and moments , very bad news he left this world .
Keep the good moments with you and thank you for sharing !
He finish his Camino and we should keep walking .

Theo rest in peace with many other pilgrims that preceded us!
Buen Camino Ultreia !!
Thanks you for your words . he finish his camino to his Camino Ulteria ..

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
You’ll make friends for a day, a week, or a lifetime..."
even for those of a day and a week they will be remembered for lifetime. The second Photo i didnt took it but it is a photo which truly describe his love to the camino

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back