• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Thanks to those that don't walk and stay home

Time of past OR future Camino
I was talking to my wife and thanked her for letting me do the Camino VLDP. Not in the sense of giving permission but in the sense of enabling the freedom to do a Camino.

She doesn't enjoy walking and the constant change of rooms and places every night. But she is very willing to let me walk while she manages the home. I'm sure there are other cases that are the reverse so I'm not trying to be sexist in any way.

Just thought it was time to recognize those that don't walk.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I was talking to my wife and thanked her for letting me do the Camino VLDP. Not in the sense of giving permission but in the sense of enabling the freedom to do a Camino.

She doesn't enjoy walking and the constant change of rooms and places every night. But she is very willing to let me walk while she manages the home. I'm sure there are other cases that are the reverse so I'm not trying to be sexist in any way.

Rolls are reversed in our house, my husband for the same reason as your wife stays at home. His duties of care also include looking after my dog and keeping an eye on my bees!!

Yes, indeed. My husband hates hiking, so he stays home and feeds the cats.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Same here.
My wife won't make the first day to Roncesvalles. She don't fly, either.

She will be fine, knowing that I will return having fulfilled one of my longlasting dreams and wishes.
While I'm on the Camino she just manages the house, visiting friends, maybe visiting her parents and guiding and parenting our almost grown-up son not being a monster ;).

Buen Camino!
Roland

My wife is also very understanding. I always ask her to try it. But it is not for her. She says when there are 4 Seasons Hotels in every village and I can afford to put her there then she may think about it!!!! But as she says. It's not happening. Last year we agreed I would not walk this year. But about 6 or 7 weeks ago as I was watching a real good video about the Camino called Searching for Infinity (I Believe, and it is not one of those standard videos with music and how much my feet hurt, videos). She looked at me and she said you are pathetic, go book your flight and go walk ugggggg!!! Got to love her.

What a lovely thing to say, John.

Speaking as a wife who, like yours, sent her husband off with love and good wishes for a Buen Camino when we (his family) waved him off at Adelaide Airport, South Australia, three weeks ago to begin his pilgrimage from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela, may I say a very big THANK YOU!!!

My husband, Bill, arrived at Leon yesterday after foot-slogging his way, often through high winds, driving rain, squelching mud and rocky tracks, for the past 21 days, and to say I'm fit to burst with pride at 'my fella' is putting it mildly.

Not just because he's passed the half-way point of the 790km trek to Santiago de Compostela (he also intends walking on to Finisterre!!), which is a huge achievement for anyone, but because this husband of mine celebrated his 79th birthday on 7 May, the day he reached Burgos, where he spent two nights in comfort in an hotel (rather than an albergue) and enjoyed a few birthday beers with a few other pilgrims he'd befriended along the way!

What a man! What a fabulous adventure! Real Boys' Own stuff! And a long-held dream of his finally becoming reality. He WhatsApp calls me three times a day and lets me see where he is and who he's enjoying walking with, and I follow him religiously through a tracking app on my mobile phone, which pretty much feels like I'm there, too - only he's doing all the work!!

So, yes John, I really appreciate your lovely thought for those of us who stayed at home. Thank you very much!

And for those presently walking their Camino, or about to embark on one, I wish you all a BUEN CAMINO, each and every one!

Billy D's wife (married 59 and a half years), Babs x

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

In praise of all those who don’t walk the Camino:

Thank you to those at home along the Way,
For the daily bread, the nightly bed and the warm ‘Buen Camino’ wave.
Thank you to friends and family back home
For reading our posts, watering our plants, wow-ing our photos,
Taking the dog to the park.
Thank you for all the ‘cheers’ and ‘congratulations’
For making us proud as punch
just because we went off for a bit of a long walk!
Above all else, thank you for staying home so that there is still a home
When I’m done wandering
And just wanna come HOME!!!

Adding my praise to it. He stays home and I walk. As a matter of interest...in about 5 hours we are heading to the airport. I am off again..Camino bound.
First a short stay in Ireland, shorter then originally planned. By June 3rd I'll be in Spain. Will be a bit of a tourist in the south before heading to Leon to walk San Salvador with potentially extention to Primitivo. Time allowing I will hop over to the C. Portuguese staying by the coast this time and espiritual. Will be in Santiago during some of the feast days - something that has eluded me privious Caminos. Flying home August 12th.
So yes hubby will be stuart of our home and he will build his shed without my interference, and go fishing and hang out with the guys.
This time apart serves us both and has been working well over the years.
For me this time is a Camino of thanksgiving, after a serious health scare and relocation stress. No volunteering unless I am called upon. Just me , myself and moi, kissing the Camino with my feet.

Those who don’t walk are the smarter ones. Who with a clear mind would want to walk risking blisters, boredom, aching legs, blistering sun, or even pouring rain.
Stay home and brew your favorite coffee, eat your favorite meals, and watch your favorite program.
No need to sweat under the blistering sun(today it was 30 degrees in Meseta) put up with dust. These are crazy people. Wonder if anyone would do it even if they are paid to do.
That’s what they call Camino de Santiago.
Strange, but it reminds me of the Olympics. Many people come from many different countries with proud to unofficially representing their country with pride and courtesy to leave good impressions of their country.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Speaking as a wife who, like yours, sent her husband off with love and good wishes for a Buen Camino when we (his family) waved him off at Adelaide Airport, South Australia, three weeks ago to begin his pilgrimage from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela, may I say a very big THANK YOU!!!

My husband, Bill, arrived at Leon yesterday after foot-slogging his way, often through high winds, driving rain, squelching mud and rocky tracks, for the past 21 days, and to say I'm fit to burst with pride at 'my fella' is putting it mildly.

Not just because he's passed the half-way point of the 790km trek to Santiago de Compostela (he also intends walking on to Finisterre!!), which is a huge achievement for anyone, but because this husband of mine celebrated his 79th birthday on 7 May, the day he reached Burgos, where he spent two nights in comfort in an hotel (rather than an albergue) and enjoyed a few birthday beers with a few other pilgrims he'd befriended along the way!

What a man! What a fabulous adventure! Real Boys' Own stuff! And a long-held dream of his finally becoming reality. He WhatsApp calls me three times a day and lets me see where he is and who he's enjoying walking with, and I follow him religiously through a tracking app on my mobile phone, which pretty much feels like I'm there, too - only he's doing all the work!!

So, yes John, I really appreciate your lovely thought for those of us who stayed at home. Thank you very much!

And for those presently walking their Camino, or about to embark on one, I wish you all a BUEN CAMINO, each and every one!

Wow!

That’s all I can say.

Wow, and double wow!

True. My husband held down the fort at home while I walked last year. He doesn't care to walk either. Buen Camino!

So true. My 87 year old husband is a camino widower for several weeks a year. He walked with me a couple of times, while his health was still good, but now he can't.
He recognizes how important these walks are for me and actively encourages me to go.
I am so grateful for his love and trust.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Cool :) I'm looking forward to seeing those videos.
DaveBugg, I was there Sept/Oct last year as well. Probably crossed paths. Trying to decide if I want to do the Frances again next year or the Portuguese. I am hooked.

O, WOW!!! Happy 79th and Buen Camino to Bill and congrats Babs for your 59.5 years!!!!! All greater achievements than most of us will ever be able to claim!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m one of the lucky ones also. Rob has been happy for me to have my adventures as long as I don’t make him walk too:). However last year I was away for nearly 7 weeks as my walking buddy and I tacked on Paris beforehand and Barcelona after the Camino. During this time his work mates convinced him to buy a canopy for our 4WD - their reasoning ‘mate she’s overseas for 7 weeks, you’ve got a right to spend some money too’. So he did! I didn’t mind - I still got the better end of the deal 😉. So blessed to have him in my life.

O, WOW!!! Happy 79th and Buen Camino to Bill and congrats Babs for your 59.5 years!!!!! All greater achievements than most of us will ever be able to claim!!!

On behalf of BillyD, a big Thanks for his Happy Birthday wishes, HK, and from me, a huge hug!! Good thoughts coming atcha!! bx

On behalf of BillyD, a big Thanks for his Happy Birthday wishes, HK, and from me, a huge hug!! Good thoughts coming atcha!! bx
Need all good thoughts as am about to head off to walk the South West Coast in UK. All advice for that path gratefully received also :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

But for the willingness and forbearance of our significant others, we would not be able to walk. I, for one, am thankful that my wife has also allowed me the time for a Camino and the possibility of going again. She even joined me from Sarria to Santiago, but is not a long haul hiker nor a person who will stay in albergues. I am sure we will find a way to walk again with a few nicer hotels and meals towards the end ...which, of course is not anathema to me!

I have also always been grateful to my husband for letting me walk my Camino while he stayed home and looked after the garden and the grandchildren. He 'followed' me on the internet and was very encouraging day-by-day from a distance. He would never, never walk a Camino himself, but he understands why I did.
But ....... the funny thing is: when I told him after my Camino Frances in 2013 I wanted to work as a hospitalero in Roncesvalles, he suggested to join me. And so he did; he became a member of the Dutch Association of Saint James which is obligatory for hospitaleros in Roncesvalles. It is also obligatory to have walked at least one Camino yourself, but sometimes for partners an exemption can be made. Together with me he did the preceeding classes five years ago, next July we will be working there together for the fifth time and every year he is even more enjoying it than I!

Yes. My husband would NOT be into this, yet, he put his fears and concern aside, encouraging me to walk Porto to SdC, then the next year Tui to SdC, with my sister. We are both in late 60s

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Nice thought! I think all of us have loved ones back home whose "permission" we need, one way or the other, if we are to have the freedom to do the Camino. In my case it was my 89 year old mother, of whom I take care full time. And my son, who stayed with her during the month I was away. And my husband, the couch potato of all couch potatoes, who (at my request) flew 5,000 km. to Santiago just to walk the last half mile with me, so we could arrive at the Cathedral together. Thanks to all!!!!IMG_20170915_125349resized.jpg

A very nice story about doing the camino or not.
I do think you have a very lovely and understanding wife. She expect to get a more glad and smiling husband home from your camino.
Happy trail from me.

My husband and I have a different problem: we both want to go, but someone needs to caretake the homestead and two dogs (one of whom is on doggy hospice). Last year he came with me to support me on my Camino (160 km of the Frances), celebrating my survival after a horrible accident. Our young adult daughters did house duty. Then he got “the Camino bug”, and is leaving in a few weeks to walk the entire Frances and on to Finnisterre and Muxia, while I mind the homestead. (I can’t walk as fast or as far as he, and the home needs a more responsible caretaker this summer). We’ll meet up for a walk together on the Ingles in August with youngest daughter (age 20). But we’ll have to sort out next year’s plans about who goes for how long, since we both have the bug!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

John, I feel the same my wife has let me venture out the last three years. She has never complained or made me feel guilty in other words she says go for it. Looking back maybe thats why we’ve been together for 50 years. I did take her to Spain last year Madrid, and Barcelona with a side trip to Santiago for two days. We went to the Cathedral for Mass on Sunday and she got to see the Butafumria. I was happy for her because I think she enjoyed the trip so much and saw what the Camino is about.

Are you finished with the VLDP, or are you still walking?

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.