Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Peaceable Projects Inc.
Peaceable Projects Inc. is a U.S.-based non-profit group that brings the vast resources of the wide world together with the ongoing needs of the people who live, work, and travel on the Camino de Santiago pilgrim trail network in Spain.

That daily shower scramble - a different viewpoint

trecile

Camino Addict
Year of past OR future Camino
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
A good Spanish born and bred friend told me that one is meant to suffer walking a Camino.
And my response to that is that there is already plenty of suffering in the world. No need to intentionally add more!

Cold showers remind me of the 6 weeks that I spent in Guatemala taking Spanish lessons and staying with local families. Most homes didn't have water heaters, and hot water for the shower came from an electric shower head, aka suicide shower for obvious reasons, though properly installed they didn't pose a huge risk. Properly installed being the important factor! The greater the volume of water going through the shower head the cooler the shower would be, it was a delicate balance between enough water to clean yourself and temperature. One of my teachers told me that they didn't heat any water in her home and that she preferred cold showers. 🥶

Holy Year Credential
Get the HOLY YEAR Camino Credential (Passport) here.
Casa Ivar Pin
Custom hard enamel pin badge with silver coloured locking pin. Size: 30 mm.

Icacos

Veteran Member
Camino Frances (2013)
All this talk of cold showers is making me smile. A cold shower is relative; it depends where one is in the world. Where I live now, a cold shower is frigid; I wouldn’t wish it on my worst enemy. Where I lived when I was growing up in the tropics, the water pipes were above ground and the sun could heat the water in the pipes to a temperature where ‘cold’ water coming out of the shower head was hotter than was comfortable in the tropical heat.

The coldest water I encountered in a shower on the camino was still pretty tepid; not much to complain about, really. 😊

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking..
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
Any time I have had to take (endure) a cold shower, I have always opted for a GI shower....I become Speedy Gonzalez! 😀

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Frances (2015); Aragones-Frances (2016); VdlP-Sanabres (2017); Madrid-Frances-Invierno (2019)Levante
My only cold shower was in San Anton, and I loved the place so much that the chill of the water was insignificant.