• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

that old sleeping bag question, once again

Ferenjinan

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy- Auvillar ( 2018 )
Lisbon- Santiago (2019)

St. Jean Pied a Port - Finisterre 2008
Hi, sorry to be redundantn but could not find the exact answer for this route. Most of these issues seem to deal with the Camino Frances.
Now that I am packing to leave in April for Lisbon, am wondering if I really need that (light weight ) sleeping bag, or will the sleeping sheet from Le Puy be enough? ie do the albuergues have blankets? When doing the Frances the bag was vital! But it was nice to walk in France with less weight. - April and May, assuming fairly warm weather?
muito obrigado

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked the caminho Portugues several times and only took a silk sleeping liner with me.
Everywhere on the Portuguese we slept in the silk liners and underneath blankets.
But a warning. The north of Portugal and Spanish Galicia can be cold in April .
But I should say leave your sleepingbag at home and pack a silk sleeping liner .

Bom caminho

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I walked the Frances April/May twice and was happy to have my lightweight sleeping bag. Walked LePuy in June with a sleep sack and that was fine for that month.
I'm walking the Portuguese in mid April/May and wouldn't think of leaving my sleeping bag home...it's coming with!

Hi, sorry to be redundantn but could not find the exact answer for this route. Most of these issues seem to deal with the Camino Frances.
Now that I am packing to leave in April for Lisbon, am wondering if I really need that (light weight ) sleeping bag, or will the sleeping sheet from Le Puy be enough? ie do the albuergues have blankets? When doing the Frances the bag was vital! But it was nice to walk in France with less weight. - April and May, assuming fairly warm weather?
muito obrigado
We walked from Lisboa last April. Not all albergues have blankets. Lisbon to Porto it was a definite must. Very cool nights.

There you go - you have your definitive answer! You definitely do / do not (delete as necessary) need that sleeping bag.

A better answer to your question can be found by asking yourself how you will feel if you do experience a night or two when you really wish you have that sleeping bag with you as you shiver in all your clothes, wrapped in your liner, covered by your poncho and with your feet in your backpack. Can you handle a couple of chilly nights & not the best of sleeps and does that weigh off (pardon the pun) against carrying that "extra" weight every day.

I hate sleeping cold. It messes my head for the next days walking. I don't like exposing myself to the vagaries of Albergue heating systems or blanket supplies. I take comfort and confidence by being provided for a warm and comfortable nights sleep even if it is in a church porch, Invierno, or Horreos.

There isn't sufficient climatic variation between Atlantic Portugal and Galicia to make the route a significant factor.

Buen (warm and comfortable) Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
April-May? Could be rather cold. How much does your "lightweight" sleeping bag weigh? If it is really that light, I would say bring it.
Between June-September, liner would be enough.

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back