• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

That silly 10% rule

I broke the rule badly also, I weighed approx 180 lbs (82 k) when I left home March 13. Pack weighed 32 lbs. (15k) But it does contain a lot of "stones" with names on them. One big one and lots of smaller ones. Each one is a prayer. A sacrificial prayer. Some with names of people who I want to pray for that I have hard feelings towards from my past, some for people I just want to pray for because I care for them very much. I have even added a few stones along the way for people I have met.
At one point last week, one hospitalero picked it up, then went to get his scale, it was 35 lbs that day... He didn't speak English, but I think he scolded me, but he was smiling, so I just smiled back. Blessings to you and yours! -kevin-.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did the Camino Francés starting in March of 2017. Due to cold mornings (and, I'll admit, a few unnecessary items), I carried about 11kg. As a 66 year old man weighing 73 kg during my walk, I had no problems with the weight. Several days were over 40 km and many days were more than 30 km. There may have been times when a lighter pack would have been welcome, but I would agree that the 10% rule need not be hard and fast.

So what of those of us who are 6'6"-6'7" ?

So what of those of us who are 6'6"-6'7" ?

Having worked in Clothing Retail for over 20 years I can say you are most definitely out of the normal range.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That rule came about, in different variations, when the choices for equipment and clothing were much heavier than today's offerings.

My backpack weight is an offshoot of years of long distance wilderness backpacking. My Camino backpack weight sits at around 4.3 kilos. I have shirts, socks, walking shorts, sleeping quilt, etc. It also includes a 2 liter water reservoir that is usually only filled with 1 liter at a time.

The reason one can have a lightweight load is not only due to changes in the technology of clothes and gear, but also because one is only walking from town to town, village to village. There is no need to carry a lot of stuff; you can buy what is needed along the way.

A lot of folks pack for the "what ifs" and they pack their fears. It takes experience and knowledge to have a truly light load. And for the novice and less experienced, this forum for advice.

A lighter load means that one can more comfortably walk, are less exhausted over the long haul, are less prone to injury, and are better able to "smell the roses". :)
Man you are so right about the what if’s. we have been planning and walking and honing our gear for our first Camino which starts in two weeks . After reading your comments I reviewed my gear based on what if and pulled out nearly 1 kilo of what ifs and my back will thank you

Man you are so right about the what if’s. we have been planning and walking and honing our gear for our first Camino which starts in two weeks . After reading your comments I reviewed my gear based on what if and pulled out nearly 1 kilo of what ifs and my back will thank you

Glad to have helped. The great thing about Camino is that if you do find you need something, Spain will have it when you get to the next town.

In my experience (spring and early autumn) and judging by other people I've walked with, then (within reason) irrespective of stature - around 5kg is bliss - at 10kg you will know about it and 10kg+ has you dumping/donating/shipping items. Don't take "just in case" items. One set of clothes worn and one set carried.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
That rule came about, in different variations, when the choices for equipment and clothing were much heavier than today's offerings.

My backpack weight is an offshoot of years of long distance wilderness backpacking. My Camino backpack weight sits at around 4.3 kilos. I have shirts, socks, walking shorts, sleeping quilt, etc. It also includes a 2 liter water reservoir that is usually only filled with 1 liter at a time.

The reason one can have a lightweight load is not only due to changes in the technology of clothes and gear, but also because one is only walking from town to town, village to village. There is no need to carry a lot of stuff; you can buy what is needed along the way.

A lot of folks pack for the "what ifs" and they pack their fears. It takes experience and knowledge to have a truly light load. And for the novice and less experienced, this forum for advice.

A lighter load means that one can more comfortably walk, are less exhausted over the long haul, are less prone to injury, and are better able to "smell the roses". :)

Hi Dave

I really like what you say "A lot of folks pack for the "what ifs" and they pack their fears. It takes experience and knowledge to have a truly light load. And for the novice and less experienced, this forum for advice." I hadn't thought about it like that, but it is true. I have been putting my bag together now for the past few weeks and keep changing my mind about what I really need to bring. Hope I can keep your advice in mind.

I'm impressed that both of you managed to get your load down so low. I'm using quite a heavy backpack and sleeping bag. Together that's already over 3kg. Add in a gore-tex jacket, some evening shoes, clothes, water bladder, toiletries... the toiletries are almost a kilo! ... shampoo, conditioner, soap, contact lens solution, foot cream, toothpaste...

My lightest practical load doesn't come in much under 7kg. To get it lower I'd have to leave things out or start spending lots of money on pro ultralight equiment, I guess.

The sleeping bag is probably your biggest issue. Unless you’re traveling in the dead of winter, you won’t need more than a sleeping bag liner. It’s SO hot in the albergues and they have blankets if you somehow get a cold night.

My body would’ve hated me if I’d carried more than 10%. I know a lot of ppl who injured themselves because their packs were too heavy or they ended up shipping it every day (something I wouldn’t have been able to afford to do).

I had the lightest sleeping bag level and didn’t need it in mid October. I was 73 kilos and didn’t have a problem packing a 7 kilo pack including water, but I did buy the lightest possible backpack.

I have been putting my bag together now for the past few weeks and keep changing my mind about what I really need to bring. Hope I can keep your advice in mind.
Hi Jean.. I didn't know about the Forum for my 1st Camino and relied on Utube. The 1st Camino (and Forum) prepare you for the 2nd and I've shaved about 3kgs off my weight this time and still pruning before we leave in 4 weeks!! Still undecided on whether to use the Aarn with balance pockets @1700g or the new Osprey Lumina @ 800g. Pack as little as possible - your knees and feet will love you:)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Would any of the 4.5kg crowd mind treating us to a breakdown of the weights of their items?

It is still somehow incomprehensible to me that anyone could get their backpack down so low. Part of me wonders if there must be some hidden compromise here that no-one is mentioning, because I've got everything in a spreadsheet and although I can see I could cut off a couple of hundred grammes here and there, dropping 2 or 3kg is just out of the question without losing some large and useful items. I'm clearly not doing it right! Do you all borrow other peoples chargers and toothpaste or something? ;-)
The rest of their package (rice cooker etc) is perhaps forwarded to next albuerge by taxi ....?

I'm impressed that both of you managed to get your load down so low. I'm using quite a heavy backpack and sleeping bag. Together that's already over 3kg. Add in a gore-tex jacket, some evening shoes, clothes, water bladder, toiletries... the toiletries are almost a kilo! ... shampoo, conditioner, soap, contact lens solution, foot cream, toothpaste...

My lightest practical load doesn't come in much under 7kg. To get it lower I'd have to leave things out or start spending lots of money on pro ultralight equiment, I guess.
One possible economy is to use a shampoo/conditioner combo. I used Pantene for my head AND body.

The sleeping bag is probably your biggest issue. Unless you’re traveling in the dead of winter, you won’t need more than a sleeping bag liner. It’s SO hot in the albergues and they have blankets if you somehow get a cold night.

My body would’ve hated me if I’d carried more than 10%. I know a lot of ppl who injured themselves because their packs were too heavy or they ended up shipping it every day (something I wouldn’t have been able to afford to do).

I had the lightest sleeping bag level and didn’t need it in mid October. I was 73 kilos and didn’t have a problem packing a 7 kilo pack including water, but I did buy the lightest possible backpack.

Thanks PG. I think you're right. I've gone through my list and apart from leaving out my PJ bottoms and a pair of wet shoes for the shower (total about 300g!), I can't see anything that I don't definitely need. However my backpack alone is 1.8 kg (Lowe Alpine Airzone Trek 45) and my bedding another 800g. I think this is where most people make their biggest savings.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The rest of their package (rice cooker etc) is perhaps forwarded to next albuerge by taxi ....?
Yes sometimes the pack is quite heavy by itself. My friend had a heavy pack, it was a lot heavier than mine empty. But she liked it because it was comfortable, and she didnt fill it completely. I bought a lighter pack for my second Camino, and was happier with that. It was smaller as well, so that also helped me keep stuff down.
If you are going in summer you may not need a sleeping bag, I found I rarely used mine.
Not taking first aid wouldn't have worked for me. We could never find one open when we needed it.

Several times I've been given to wonder where this rule that you should have your backpack weighing 10% of your bodyweight actually came from. What's more, why do so many people keep repeating it without even thinking about it? It's become a bit like one of those urban myths that people look up on snopes.com!

Basically my gripe is that it only applies if you're a reasonably tall male of about 75-80 kilos. Then nice - you get to carry a backpack of optimum weight 7.5-8 kilos. But stray too far from this figure and the results make no sense. Would you really tell a short slim woman of 45 kilos to only bring 4.5 kilos with her on the Camino? That wouldn't get her much further than her backpack, a sleeping bag and a pair of crocs! Likewise, I've met plenty of taller strong guys happily carrying 10 or 11 kilos with them who weigh nothing close to 100-110 kg. In fact, if they did, they'd be struggling a lot more!

So where did this strange rule come from and why does everyone keep repeating it?!

So in boy scouts here in the US we go by 20-25% of weight for a backpacking trip. But that is a guide! It refers to someone fit and healthy and not overweight. (We have some overweight boys that are already hauling extra weight and are out of shape. There is no way we want to burden them with another 20 pounds or so. They have a hard time just walking for any length of time.) -- The pack weight (tents, food, etc) get shared out amongst many.

On the camino I carried about 15% of my weight. I was fine. But on my last walk (Le Puy-Conques), there were a number of women who had back problems from carrying their pack. And their packs were not heavy. I think they were just out of shape, and their backs were weak.

-- So I suggest that you pack your stuff and wear your pack for a few hours every day -- walking, vacuuming, going up stairs-- for a few weeks before you walk. That way your back muscles can get used to the weight. -- Or, you can muck out horse stalls every day and clean out horse hooves (which is my back exercise).

Kate

Last edited:
My other most frequent question is 'Will it serve more than one purpose?' If so it is worth considering - eg long sleeve vest and longjohns double as pyjamas; travel dress doubles as a night-dress.
All essential toiletries, antiseptics etc are either the smallest available or decanted into smaller travel containers......etc
My feet, hips and knees are thankful for it. I don't find the 10% 'rule' silly but rather a good guide.
Absolutely! Carry all your 'extras' and suffer for it, I saw plenty of people who gave up/went home/had to have their packs carried....and limped on....
The less you carry the better you will be to walk on....and on.... Nothing to do sith 'silly' rules. It is obvious....
Isn't it? :)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Absolutely! Carry all your 'extras' and suffer for it, I saw plenty of people who gave up/went home/had to have their packs carried....and limped on....
The less you carry the better you will be to walk on....and on.... Nothing to do sith 'silly' rules. It is obvious....
Isn't it? :)
The silliness comes from applying a rule of thumb that takes so little concern of varying factors as to be - in my opinion - pretty useless. That was my original point.

Case in point: I weighed 65kg before my first camino, but couldn't get my pack below 8kg. This 10% guide had me concerned that I was carrying 1.5kg (+ water + food) too much. Then I learned to just go with the flow and it was fine with my "too heavy" pack, though I was slower than most the others I still got to Santiago without injury.

-- So I suggest that you pack your stuff and wear your pack for a few hours every day -- walking, vacuuming, going up stairs-- for a few weeks before you walk. That way your back muscles can get used to the weight. -- Or, you can muck out horse stalls every day and clean out horse hooves (which is my back exercise).

Kate

Talking of back muscles, mine tightened up in my camino and have never really let go since. It's been a few months now. What should I be stretching? Touching toes?

Hi Jean.. I didn't know about the Forum for my 1st Camino and relied on Utube. The 1st Camino (and Forum) prepare you for the 2nd and I've shaved about 3kgs off my weight this time and still pruning before we leave in 4 weeks!! Still undecided on whether to use the Aarn with balance pockets @1700g or the new Osprey Lumina @ 800g. Pack as little as possible - your knees and feet will love you:)
Hi Loretta, my bag just weighs 1k and I am trying to 'shave' off as much as I can - if I was very hairy, then I would be able to shave off more!!! A friend tells me my bag is light and he has done the Camino. We'll see.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
One possible economy is to use a shampoo/conditioner combo. I used Pantene for my head AND body.
I bought soap that shampoos and conditions and I will also use it for my body. I cut a piece off another plain bar of soap for washing clothes. Once I have weighted everything I will share my results. But I don't think it will ever be as little as 4.5 kg unless you leave your clothes behind!

They are GENIUS! I use them at home for almost every wash (unless it's a serious stain!). If you look on Amazon, for "soap berries" you can find them. They are not cheap on the outlay, but a $50 box in Canadian currency gets me 360 washes. I took 10 berries with me for 6 weeks of laundry (and shared loads with people regularly). 10 berries per wash, in a little baggie. They have a natural saponification process released when they get wet. Remove the baggie from the wash and secure to your backpack to dry. Dry, they honestly weigh almost nothing. They have no obnoxious perfume either, so get for folks like me with skin allergies.

Just google "Soap Berries"
Did you use them in machines or to hand wash your clothes?

Talking of back muscles, mine tightened up in my camino and have never really let go since. It's been a few months now. What should I be stretching? Touching toes?

I don't know. Massage therapy? Sports Doctor? I strained my knee at it took about 4 months to be all the way better.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Did you use them in machines or to hand wash your clothes?
I used them in machines. But if you take a washing bag with you, you could use them that way. Cost wise, I think it’s much cheaper to use machines than to buy a special washing bag. I shared washing costs with other pilgrims. Also, at Roncesvalles, and in Burgos, we sent our wash to be done. It was lovely.

I used them in machines. But if you take a washing bag with you, you could use them that way. Cost wise, I think it’s much cheaper to use machines than to buy a special washing bag. I shared washing costs with other pilgrims. Also, at Roncesvalles, and in Burgos, we sent our wash to be done. It was lovely.
Laundry detergent was provided with every washing machine that I used on the Camino. My dry bag was light weight and inexpensive and did double duty as a well, dry bag. :)

I am third day on trail now. I am 90 kilos carrying 7 kilos. Each night there have been stacks of stuff that people are dumping. I could loose another 1/2 kilo easily as I have not NEEDED my sleeping bag. Pillow case and bag liner seems plenty.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi everyone, last night, after weeks of looking at the various items going into my bag, I weighed it. I will be carrying 4.9k, not counting the clothes I will walk in and my poles. The poles will be used 100% of the time. I always walk with them and they are the lightest I could find. I also haven't counted a smalll snack and the water I will carry. But I won't carry much of those. I weigh 57-59k depending on whether or not I am just fed or clothed! I feel my bag will be very manageable and am quite reassured by the lightness of the pack. I am carrying:
Osprey rucksack 1k
Body Wallet Waist (Lifeventure) 36g
L Vent Soft Fibre Trek Towel L 160g
Craghoppers convertible trousers 344g
2nd trousers 357g
Icebreaker Women’s Everyday Leggings 127g
Speedo slip-ons for shower 106g
3 x Rohan underpants 105g
Sleeping bag 741g
Polar buff 59g
Thermal vest 169g
Long sleeve tee 138g
Short sleeve tee 2260g
Gloves 52g
Bag cover 121g
Waterproof trousers 350g
2 x bras 128g
3 x socks 201g
Rain jacket 530g
2 x Poles 272g
Phone & charger 294g
Spectacles & case 139g
Sun glasses & case 126g
Soap/shampoo/clothes soap 84g
Plasters 4g
Deodorant (remains of what I am currently using)
Toothpaste4 5g
Toothbrush
Few lightweight plaxtic gloves to protect my hands when washing clothhes
Nail clippers 16g
Foot cream (remains of what I am using) 83g
Face cream (ditto)
Hand cream38g
Compede gel24g
Compede bandages and other fewminine toiletries 37g
Blis socks38g?
Trainers442g
Walking shoes380g
Tweezers6g
Hairbrush28g
Water bottle
Few Ziplock bags
Ear plugs1g
Guide book

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Forgot to add my phone - 4.9k!! Can I ask how you add the quote at the end of your posting? Is it just the 'Insert quotes' tab?
You can either quote the entire message by clicking on "reply" under that message. Or, if you only want to quote part of the message, or quote several messages, highlight the part that you want to quote and you will see +quote underneath. Click on that. Do that for each thing you want to quote. Then when you click on "insert quotes" you will be asked if you want to add the quotes that you highlighted. You can then respond to each quote.

Your toiletries are somewhere you can save big, Dr Bronners soap comes in a dry form a bar if you will, or there is Lush dry shampoo bars, both of them will take care of body, hair and clothes, and you're not carrying around liquid weight that you can't drink. Another small weight savings without sacrificing can be had by using a tooth powder instead of paste ( I like Dirty Mouth Anise flavored) and sunscreen stick.

I
Your toiletries are somewhere you can save big, Dr Bronners soap comes in a dry form a bar if you will, or there is Lush dry shampoo bars, both of them will take care of body, hair and clothes, and you're not carrying around liquid weight that you can't drink. Another small weight savings without sacrificing can be had by using a tooth powder instead of paste ( I like Dirty Mouth Anise flavored) and sunscreen stick.
haven't seen sunscreen stick anywhere. Where did get get it? I am bringing Lush soap/shampoo/conditioner in one bar. Also a cut off my bar of simple soap for clothes. Tiny toothpaste tube and can pick some up as I need. I think most of us will often pass by shops and so need to think of it as a series of longish strolls from place to place. I found I was beginning to think I needed to bring everything just in case ... I no longer think that.

€60,-
I decided against water bladder in April and May and will fill up as I go. I have a very light metal bottle. The water bladder itself was quite heavy.

Hi everyone, last night, after weeks of looking at the various items going into my bag, I weighed it. I will be carrying 4.9k, not counting the clothes I will walk in and my poles. The poles will be used 100% of the time. I always walk with them and they are the lightest I could find. I also haven't counted a smalll snack and the water I will carry. But I won't carry much of those. I weigh 57-59k depending on whether or not I am just fed or clothed! I feel my bag will be very manageable and am quite reassured by the lightness of the pack. I am carrying:
Osprey rucksack 1k
Body Wallet Waist (Lifeventure) 36g
L Vent Soft Fibre Trek Towel L 160g
Craghoppers convertible trousers 344g
2nd trousers 357g
Icebreaker Women’s Everyday Leggings 127g
Speedo slip-ons for shower 106g
3 x Rohan underpants 105g
Sleeping bag 741g
Polar buff 59g
Thermal vest 169g
Long sleeve tee 138g
Short sleeve tee 2260g
Gloves 52g
Bag cover 121g
Waterproof trousers 350g
2 x bras 128g
3 x socks 201g
Rain jacket 530g
2 x Poles 272g
Phone & charger 294g
Spectacles & case 139g
Sun glasses & case 126g
Soap/shampoo/clothes soap 84g
Plasters 4g
Deodorant (remains of what I am currently using)
Toothpaste4 5g
Toothbrush
Few lightweight plaxtic gloves to protect my hands when washing clothhes
Nail clippers 16g
Foot cream (remains of what I am using) 83g
Face cream (ditto)
Hand cream38g
Compede gel24g
Compede bandages and other fewminine toiletries 37g
Blis socks38g?
Trainers442g
Walking shoes380g
Tweezers6g
Hairbrush28g
Water bottle
Few Ziplock bags
Ear plugs1g
Guide book

Looks like a very sensible list to me. The place where you could lose the most weight I think is in switching to lightweight waterproofs. You've almost got 900g there.

Looks like a very sensible list to me. The place where you could lose the most weight I think is in switching to lightweight waterproofs. You've almost got 900g there.
Let me know your suggestions. I decided to use my normal rain jacket that I use here in Scotland. So I didn't buy a new lighter item. What are the things you think could be lighter?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Still undecided on whether to use the Aarn with balance pockets @1700g or the new Osprey Lumina @ 800g. Pack as little as possible - your knees and feet will love you:)
The Osprey Lumina 45 @ 800g won the contest. I can thoroughly recommend it as light, comfortable with excellent air ventilation on my back. Really sold on it! Now, what to do with my newly bought Aarn with balance pockets:confused: I've been very extravagant but my feet need a break!!!

While I love to be a "rule breaker" on numerous accounts, this is not one of them. I am 5'2' and weighed in at 102 lbs on all of my Caminos. My pack and liner come in at just over 4 lbs so that doesn't leave me a lot of wiggle room. I am also queen of the kitchen scale and eradicator of all excess ounces. After all ounces equal pounds and pounds equal pain. (I am shamelessly stealing that quote from an unknown source.)

That being said, if you hold up my shirt in comparison to my husband's (he is 5'8", 140 lbs), mine is considerably smaller, hence less weight. Mine are around 3 ounces and his around 6. My socks come in at 1.3 ounces per pair less than his. My pants are almost 8 ounces less - x 2 you get 1 lb of difference. We carry the same exact items and his pack is 3 lbs more than mine - which is also in his 10% rule (until you add water and a few bits of electronic gadgetry). I have also scoured options endlessly and have reduced each pair of underwear from 24g to 9g each so 3 pair are only slightly more than 1. One pair of my husbands are about 45g each.

I think you see where I am going with this thought.... Yes, you weigh less. Thus, your clothes weigh less. It is all relative. Do not stress about it until the percentage is unreasonable. That might happen after you start walking, but you can always "donate" items along the way. I would like to emphasize that it is better to leave those unwanted items in the albuergue's designated location vs. a roadside fencepost.

Happy packing, weighing, unpacking, and packing again!!!

Buen Camino!

Let me know your suggestions. I decided to use my normal rain jacket that I use here in Scotland. So I didn't buy a new lighter item. What are the things you think could be lighter?
Your coat and your trousers could be lighter.
It's not available any more, unfortunately, but Decathlon did have something suitable:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fh500-helium-rain-womens-jkt-id_8493482.html

That's an example of a lightweight rain jacket which only weighs 200g. There are probably others you could find of similar specs and price.

Replacing the rain trousers with a wrap-around skirt would save you a bit of weight too. This was discussed on the forum recently:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...in-kilt-for-ultracheap-tip.54003/#post-604170

Those two items together woudl be 260g instead of your 880g. Of course its all a trade off with price and performance. When you already have a perfectly decent set of waterproofs you probably dont want to rebuy just to save weight.

Another alternative would be an all in one poncho, like this one from China:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3F-...ping-Mini-Tarp-Multifunction/32720892029.html

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Forgot to add my phone - 4.9k!! Can I ask how you add the quote at the end of your posting? Is it just the 'Insert quotes' tab?
In your original list:-
Is this what you are carrying or are you wearing some of it? You are carrying 2 pairs of shoes/trainers. We wore one pair and carried one pair for after walking times. Taking just one pair would save some weight if you are really carrying both.
We have good ponchos (weigh 380gms) and waterproof trousers (350gms) and would not compromise here. Our jackets are actually windproof (not waterproof) fleeces at 400gms - so your jacket/trouser combination seems good if that is what you are used to wearing. Also the warmth factor is still needed in April/early May.

Your coat and your trousers could be lighter.
It's not available any more, unfortunately, but Decathlon did have something suitable:
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/fh500-helium-rain-womens-jkt-id_8493482.html

That's an example of a lightweight rain jacket which only weighs 200g. There are probably others you could find of similar specs and price.

Replacing the rain trousers with a wrap-around skirt would save you a bit of weight too. This was discussed on the forum recently:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...in-kilt-for-ultracheap-tip.54003/#post-604170

Those two items together woudl be 260g instead of your 880g. Of course its all a trade off with price and performance. When you already have a perfectly decent set of waterproofs you probably dont want to rebuy just to save weight.

Another alternative would be an all in one poncho, like this one from China:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3F-...ping-Mini-Tarp-Multifunction/32720892029.html
Thanks for the ideas. I have arrived in France and have decided to go with what I have for now. Fingers crossed.

In your original list:-
Is this what you are carrying or are you wearing some of it? You are carrying 2 pairs of shoes/trainers. We wore one pair and carried one pair for after walking times. Taking just one pair would save some weight if you are really carrying both.
We have good ponchos (weigh 380gms) and waterproof trousers (350gms) and would not compromise here. Our jackets are actually windproof (not waterproof) fleeces at 400gms - so your jacket/trouser combination seems good if that is what you are used to wearing. Also the warmth factor is still needed in April/early May.
Yes, I am wearing one pair and carrying one pair. Same with shoes. Don't think I could manage with less than that. Hopefully it's okay.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is a guideline only.
There are a lot of variables. The first being physical ones. If you have back, hip or knee issues you would want to minimize weight likely.
I basically pack what I need/want and don't worry about the finished weight. I did weigh my pack with water one time and it is was around 28 lbs. I weigh 195 lbs, so I am over the 10% by a fair amount. I have around 60L pack and I suspect it is pretty heavy even empty, but have never actually weighed it empty. Maybe I will some time. The pack fits me well, so will not be replacing with around smaller pack.
My wife weighs 120 lbs and carries around 20 to 22 lbs, so she is even more over the guideline than me. We have been on four Camino's with no issues, so back pack weight is not something we even really think about anymore.

But with the greatest of respect. You are quite young and look very fit ;);)

On the other hand I am 60+ and not at all fit, and anything over 10% would see me dropping out within the first week I suspect :eek::eek:

As other have said, it's a guide, not a rule.......

And there are too many personal variables......

Would you really tell a short slim woman of 45 kilos to only bring 4.5 kilos with her on the Camino? That wouldn't get her much further than her backpack, a sleeping bag and a pair of crocs! Likewise,

Yep! And I did :eek::eek:

She's come in at just under 10% of body weight.

Though her pack is only 3.7 kg. I'm carrying the rest of her 10% :rolleyes:

But with my stuff and her stuff, I'm still under 10% of my body weight ;);)

Win-Win !

Last edited:
But with the greatest of respect. You are quite young and look very fit ;);)

On the other hand I am 60+ and not at all fit, and anything over 10% would see me dropping out within the first week I suspect :eek::eek:

As other have said, it's a guide, not a rule.......

And there are too many personal variables......

Well, I just turned 58, but I workout at least 3 to 4 times a week year round. Keeping good core strength pays huge dividends on the Camino.
Just walking as training is not really enough to get the level of fitness you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Yes, I am wearing one pair and carrying one pair. Same with shoes. Don't think I could manage with less than that. Hopefully it's okay.
Yes, in that case I think it looks fine. :)
Buen Camino

....shampoo...conditioner....soap...foot cream......toothpaste....a kilo in toiletries sounds a lot. It's all bit of game really to seem how little you actually need. I would be finding half a cake of soap that you can wash you and your hair and your clothes with, take some toothpaste tablets or squeeze out most of a tube...travel size spray deodorant if you must. My pack sits at 5.5 and hers at 4.5kgs.

I'm not sure that a man with short hair can comment on the need for shampoo and conditioner on long hair. I chopped off my hair for my first camino and washing it with body soap made it feel like burnt straw. My hair was longer on a second camino, and still, trying to cut weight I brought a bar shampoo and no conditioner...it was like trying to comb out a rats nest. For all of the others, I have indeed packed bar shampoo, bar conditioner, bar soap, and bar laundry detergent. A chunk of some bar or a bottle of some multiuser liquid is not going to work for everyone. If we can carry our 'needs', we are entitled to them . I walked with 17 LBS plus water from Florence to Assisi to Rome last May/June in the heat and survived...I had to. It was quite remote in the mountains. This year, total with absolutely EVERYTHING that I'm carrying and wearing and two weighed bottles of water,I'm at 12.8LBs...and you'd be surprised at what's in that pack! lol

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I

haven't seen sunscreen stick anywhere. Where did get get it? I am bringing Lush soap/shampoo/conditioner in one bar. Also a cut off my bar of simple soap for clothes. Tiny toothpaste tube and can pick some up as I need. I think most of us will often pass by shops and so need to think of it as a series of longish strolls from place to place. I found I was beginning to think I needed to bring everything just in case ... I no longer think that.
I live in the states (Texas) and found up to spf 70 in most pharmacies, Walgreens in my case.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.