• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

That special accomodation in Santiago HELP!!

DeniseT

Time of past OR future Camino
Future:) 01 Jun 2017 SJPDP
Hi All.
Wondering if anyone can recommend a special place in Santiago for 4 days 3 adults . We are hoping its great cultural feel close to the church, look out the window or verandah and admire the amazing location after the de frances walk.
Thanks in advance

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hola Denise!
It sounds like being close to the church is one of the most important things, so I would recommend Hospedería San Martin Pinario, the Parador Hotel - Reis Catolicos, or the brand-new Hotel Praza Quintana. All three of those are on Booking.com. Options on Rua do Vilar, Rua do Franco, or Rua Xelmirez can be nice and close as well (Hotel Montenegro, Pension Badalada, Hotel Rua do Vilar, Hostal Suso, Hostal Barbantes, etc.) If you look on Booking.com and choose to filter it by "Distance from City Center" you can see some nearby options, especially if you look at the Map View.

One thing to consider is it might be quite noisy in the summer when you're here, but hopefully the hotels have thought of that :).
Buen Camino!
Faith

Hospederia San Martin Pinario across from the cathedral for a special feel (converted monatery) or, if you prefer a small pension, then the Fonte San Roque, a theee minute walk from the cathedral, close enough to the fun of town, but on a quiet street so you can actually sleep.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I stayed at the Hospederia San Martin Pinario on my first Camino, and it was lovely. If you phone or email directly to the hotel, rather than using a booking site, you can get a special Prilgrims rate. I have booked in there again for my upcoming Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first time in Santiago I stayed in the "Last Stamp" Albergue. Not to be recommended if you are old and need your sleep as pilgrims arriving back at all times celebrating. But OK to be honest.
I then walked to FinesTerre and returned to Santiago again, again I stayed in the centre in a small pension not far from the cathedral - it wasn't great as no AC and so I had the leave the window open and it was pretty noisy outside with the revellers.
The third time I stayed in Nest Style which was just outside the historic centre, very reasonable with AC and very quiet - my favourite

I stayed at the Hospederia San Martin Pinario on my first Camino, and it was lovely. If you phone or email directly to the hotel, rather than using a booking site, you can get a special Prilgrims rate. I have booked in there again for my upcoming Camino.
Isn't the special pilgrim rate inly for the rooms on the fourth floor, those that have not be refurbished?

Isn't the special pilgrim rate inly for the rooms on the fourth floor, those that have not be refurbished?
That may well be. Last time I booked through a booking site - no breakfast included. I met other pilgrims who got the pilgrim rate and paid way less, with breakfast included. They did say that they were on a separate floor, but the room they described sounded very much like the one I had. And it is more the location that I loved, and the building itself - I am in the room only to sleep and bathe. And I have my own bathroom!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
No doubt about it, San Martín Pinario doesn't offer regular rooms at pilgrim prices, it only offers pilgrim rooms at pilgrim prices. If you paid 23 euros you were on the fourth floor. I have seen the guest rooms and they are larger and have been remodeled. The 4th floor still has the rooms just as they were when there were seminarians living in them. Spotlessly clean, crisp white sheets, clean towels, so it seems like luxury to the average peregrino. Some showers work better than others, some have less dodgy furniture, but those are trivial details, IMO. But the rooms on lower floors are definitely nicer.

We will only stay at the Rua Villar for all future visits to Santiago. The staff there - especially Christina - will bend over backwards to make sure you feel welcome and that all your needs are met. Not to mention the rooms are lovely and the location is unbeatable. They are located across from the old Pilgrim office, just around the corner from the Cathedral and anything else important. For our 2nd camino (and our 21st anniversary) we booked several nights at the Parador, before heading over to Rua Villar to finish our stay. They were sooo rude at the Parador, and made us feel like an inconvenience. Even with our reservation made 6 months in advance with a request for a queen bed, we still ended up with 2 twin beds. How romantic! Anyway, we ended up leaving after the one night and were welcomed with open arms at the Rua Villar. They even took the time to congratulate us on completing our pilgrimage. For our 3rd camino, there was no question as to where we would be staying. Our room had a huge box veranda to enjoy people watching from. If you want something a little less grand, and a little further out, the Hotel Real is a lovely choice.

Buen Camino!

I've stayed at the lovely San Martin Pinario twice and as peregrina2000 said above, the pilgrim's rooms on the 4th floor are very simple ~ bed, desk, chair, side table ~ but very comfortable and clean. It is located directly across the road from the Cathedral. If you do stay there try to ask for a room far away from the elevator. It's quieter. The first time my room was opposite the elevator and if someone arrived late at night, talking, it was a bit noisy. The second time I stayed in Room 420. It is a corner room at the very end of one of the corridors and is a bit larger ~ very quiet. And a wonderful surprise - the view from that room. Gorgeous sunset views and best of all, it overlooks the Iglesia San Francisco with a direct eye-line view of the gorgeous Angel sculptures up high. A very welcoming staff and a buffet breakfast in one of their lovely dining halls is included in the price.

Attachments

• View from Rm 420.jpg
    View from Rm 420.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 12
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
my luxury spot is the nh collection. Some rooms do have a view of the cathedral, The breakfast is epic and it very close to the centre of things in a parkland setting and really quiet. It's a modern hotel so if you are looking for an old style place it's not for ypu

Thankyou, some of them look fabulous But I am surprised no houses or bnb's, was looking for more a Spanish home, quiet but very close to cathedral and city centre ?????

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thankyou, some of them look fabulous But I am surprised no houses or bnb's, was looking for more a Spanish home, quiet but very close to cathedral and city centre ?????

There might be bnb but not much private houses left I'm afraid close to the cathedral...

Last edited:

Have you tried AirBnB for a room in Santiago? See more here-
Good luck and Buen camino!

You will find many señoras near the pilgrims office who offer rooms in centrally located apartments. The experiences have ranged from bad to excellent -- if you go this route, know that you will be part of the underground economy (none of this income will be declared) and that you should definitely check out the place before agreeing to take it.

I've never done this, but know many who have and some have been quite happy with it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You will find many señoras near the pilgrims office who offer rooms in centrally located apartments. The experiences have ranged from bad to excellent -- if you go this route, know that you will be part of the underground economy (none of this income will be declared) and that you should definitely check out the place before agreeing to take it.

I've never done this, but know many who have and some have been quite happy with it.

Yes that is my dilemma with the underground economy ( although I know that Spanish people still struggle to make a decent income ) , therefore I always will choose a small hostal or family pension ( and try to book directly and not through bookingsites ).

Ah, I misunderstood. As @mspath mentioned Airbnb is a great resource and visitors have found places there. A friend also had some luck with https://www.homeaway.co.uk/.

Hope you find something great that suits you guys.

I have stayed at Pension Acebeche which was fabulous. It is righr around thw cornwr from the Cathedral and it's attic room has views if the top of the spirez whixh are lit ul at might. Try to book directly as it will be much cheaper. Also, Hostal Susu is very good value and a 2 min walk to the Cathedral. Again, try to book directly. I enjoyed both these places very much. Good luck.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
These are my favorite places when staying in Santiago:

Hospedería San Martín Pinario
Plaza de la Inmaculada, 3. €42,- single ☎ 981 560 282
It is an antique monastery in the old city next to the cathedral. The building has a wonderful history and a great atmosphere. Rooms are basic but clean and comfortable. A fine place to finish your camino.
Hotel Costa Vella
Calle Puerta de la Peña 17 €60,- ☎ 981 569 530
It is a small, charming hotel with a fantastic backyard garden. Very well located near one of the seven gates that lead into the old quarters of the city. Rooms are small, but charming and homey, The staff is very attentive and helpful.
Hostal Campañas de San Juan
Campañas de San Juan 6 €55,- ☎ 981 552 737
Charming place, great atmosphere, Perfect location right next to the cathedral a bit tucked away in a quiet corner. The staff is warm, friendly and helpfull. Rooms are stylish decorated and cozy. The place stands out for its ambiance and service.
One of the properties of Fina Castro Riveiro
Plaza de Pescaderia Vella, nr. 2-1 €15,- ☎ 652 812 389
It is a very good price for a central, well maintained and clean apartment. Fina is a fine lady and she will do anything to make your stay comfortable.
PR Hortas rua da Hortas 30 €38,- ☎ 881 259 018
Friendly family run pension just a few hundred meters from the cathedral square. Very cleean with modern interior. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Good luck

I have stayed in the parador...very historical but pricy for what it is. I am staying at the hospederia St Martin pinario to end my caminho ...sounds and looks special and prices are reasonable.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.