• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

That's me done

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
With some sadness I've decided to cut short this year's camino and head for home. I've had a lovely few weeks on the Camí de Sant Jaume, and yesterday made it up the hill to salute the moreneta at Montserrat, so have nothing to complain of. It's just that the restrictions are getting more severe every day. I missed out a section because everything in between Vic and Manresa appeared to be either shut or not answering the telephone. It looks as if that would repeat itself more frequently in the coming days, not to mention having to bypass Navarra, and doubtless other places, altogether. I can cope with eating a picnic supper in an hotel bedroom, and not having coffee and tostada and a morning chat in the local bar, but not if I also have to take a bus every other day.

Others will doubtless find a way to continue and I wish them a buen camino, but it's just not for me.

IMG_20201021_075908.jpg

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
A smart but sad decision, Alan. I am sorry, for you and for all of us — reading your accounts is always a joy, and these days that joy is especially welcome.

Safe journey home. Your Vizsla will be happy with this turn of events, even if we are not.

pelerine

Camino(s) past & future
Norte 10, Primitivo 13, Plata 14+15, Salvador 16, Torres 17, Portugues 18, Mozarabe 19
With some sadness I've decided to cut short this year's camino and head for home. I've had a lovely few weeks on the Camí de Sant Jaume, and yesterday made it up the hill to salute the moreneta at Montserrat, so have nothing to complain of. It's just that the restrictions are getting more severe every day. I missed out a section because everything in between Vic and Manresa appeared to be either shut or not answering the telephone. It looks as if that would repeat itself more frequently in the coming days, not to mention having to bypass Navarra, and doubtless other places, altogether. I can cope with eating a picnic supper in an hotel bedroom, and not having coffee and tostada and a morning chat in the local bar, but not if I also have to take a bus every other day.

Others will doubtless find a way to continue and I wish them a buen camino, but it's just not for me.

View attachment 85646

Sorry you are giving up, but quite understandable reasoning!

As so often with other caminos I missed yours altogether! Where can I find it?

Have a safe return home and take good care of yourself!

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
I'm sorry it came to that, but by all reports you've made the right decision. Safe travels and I'm sure the Camino will still be there when this has passed.

filly

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, via de la Plata, Sanabres, camino de Levante, Norte, Primitivo, Ingles, Santiago to Muxia and Fisterra, part chemin in France, der Oekumenische Pilgerweg/via Regia, via Tolosana, Aragones, 2017 April/May Lisbon to SdC
I'm sorry it came to that, but by all reports you've made the right decision. Safe travels and I'm sure the Camino will still be there when this has passed.
Thank you. You have lifted my spirits in my own decision. Have already booked spring Camino from Almeria to Granada/Cordoba/Merida.

Safe journey home.

susanawee

susanawee
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances-(2013/14/18
Camino Salvado Perth -(2015)
West Highland Way (2016)
Lyon France 2017
Safe journey home and be at peace with decisions you have made.Love friendship and Camino Blessings.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino del Norte Sept 2013
Camino del Norte Sept 2014
Camino del Norte 2015,16,17,18
I’m sure this was a very hard decision, but no doubt the right one. And here I was gloating that my annual armchair camino with @alansykes was not going to be a covid casualty.

Safe journey home, Buen camino, Laurie

And p.s., @pelerine, here is the link to the thread.
Thankyou so much for the link. Alan as a lover of this part of Spain. I bet much enjoyed reading your thread

mla1

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2000); St. Giles (2013); Le Puy-SJPP (2015); VDLP (2016); Mozárabe, Almeria to Granada (2018)
A smart but sad decision, Alan. I am sorry, for you and for all of us — reading your accounts is always a joy, and these days that joy is especially welcome.

Safe journey home. Your Vizsla will be happy with this turn of events, even if we are not.
Thanks so much for your posts Alan.

The vizsla at home! There is one here too -- and she is very happy that this year's two caminos were cancelled. Here's wishing you both good walks together once you are back.

Lexicos

Jim
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances
Camino Portuguese 2019
From what I saw, you have plenty to take back with you. Safe journey.

Advertisement

Booking.com