• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The “Olvidada” for the Olvidado

peregrina2000

Staff member
Ender has just been granted the first “Olvidada” — the “compostela equivalent” for the Camino Olvidado. He got his in Villafranca.

For those who want to obtain the certificate, looks like you are going to have to walk at least to Cacabelos or perhaps Villafranca. That means that those who leave the Olvidado after the Embalse de Bárcea to head down to Ponferrada to make the Olvidado/Invierno combo will not be eligible for the certificate.

12971F16-7714-4506-A5B7-42B1802A8963.jpeg

Depending on your love of certificates, it would take a few extra days to walk to Villafranca on the Olvidado and then backtrack on the Francés to Ponferrada.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ender has just been granted the first “Olvidada” — the “compostela equivalent” for the Camino Olvidado. He got his in Villafranca.

For those who want to obtain the certificate, looks like you are going to have to walk at least to Cacabelos or perhaps Villafranc. That means that those who leave the Olvidado after the Embalse de Bárcea to head down to Ponferrada to make the Olvidado/Invierno combo will not be eligible for the certificate.

View attachment 121641

Depending on your love of certificates, it would take a few extra days to walk to Villafranca on the Olvidado and then backtrack on the Francés to Ponferrada.
Is there a fairly comprehensive update on the Olvidado for walking in 2022? We have enough certificates so another one is not an incentive. We very much would like to do the Olvidado/Invierno but haven't seem commentary since pre-Covid. Hope there are walkers from last year who will chime in.

Is there a fairly comprehensive update on the Olvidado for walking in 2022?

Things were pretty much closed on the Olvidado last year, but are opening up now. You can find reports from people who have walked on the Olvidado facebook pages. Ender‘s guide has a good list of all the accommodation options, and you could check with a lot of them via WhatsApp to see what’s open before leaving.

Good luck, I’m sure you will love it. The Olvidado/Invierno combo is just spectacular!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This website has details of accommodation along the way (click on the tab "local resources" for each village - not only accommodation info, but also things to see along the way and in the villages).
https://www.caminoolvidado.com/etapas/

This website also has some good information on it. (you can get Laurie's guide on this site)

Then there is this website. Clicking on the map you will see every village with a pin which you can, in turn, click on and get information (I think a lot of this is taken from Laurie's guide)
https://www.outdooractive.com/en/route/hiking-route/spain/camino-olvidado/136161705/

A friend and I are planning to start walking around 9th / 10th September.

Well now I seem to be planning a Camino on the Olvidado as well as others! That pesky need to work keeps getting in the way of fun :p

With regards to the Olvidada certificate, do you have to have proof of having completed the entire route from Bilbao? Or is it like the Compostela in that you just need to have completed the last 100km?

Might need to re-walk a stage or 2 if you need proof from Bilbao. Not that that is a bad thing...

Thanks!

I have heard from Ender about the requirements for the Olvidada. They are trying to keep it as infomal as possible and are hoping that they won’t have to get in the business of policing pilgrim credentials.

There is no km minimum, but the Olvidada will only be given out in Villafranca del Bierzo, the “official” end. Part of the thinking here must be to encourage pilgrims to continue from Congosto to Cabañas Raras (20 km), where there is acogida for pilgrims, and then on to Villafranca on the Francés. I know that many, probably the overwhelming majority, “drop down” from Congosto to Ponferrada. If you do that, you won’t be able to get the Olvidada.

It is available in the tourist office. If you are going to arrive on a Sunday, when the tourist office is closed, you should call the Ayuntamiento on a weekday before arrival to arrange for picking up your Olvidada. 987 54 00 89

Here is a picture of the mayor giving the Olvidada to a recent peregrina.

Attachments

• 335BA020-7721-47E2-8260-0AEAE4CC1215.jpeg
    335BA020-7721-47E2-8260-0AEAE4CC1215.jpeg
    78 KB · Views: 15
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
For various reasons I started out of Navarette on April 29 and am currently walking the Frances to Mansilla de las Mulas, turn north on the Vadiniense and then walk out of Cistierna on May 11 and meet @QuailHiker in Bonar on the 12th. Our plan is to walk the Olvidado to Ponferrada and then pick up the Invierno into Santiago, arriving on May 31. We’ll keep you posted on any news from this section of the Olvidado.

meet @QuailHiker in Bonar on the 12th.
Yay, a few more forum members heading out on the Olvidado! You will have a big decision on Day 1 of your walk — Are you planning to go to La Robla and then La Magdalena, or to Vegacervera - Pola de Gordón - La Magdalena?

Ender’s guide and the online website both give lots of good infomation, and happy to chime in if you have questions. And yes please, do keep us posted on what you find!!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This website has details of accommodation along the way (click on the tab "local resources" for each village - not only accommodation info, but also things to see along the way and in the villages).

This website also has some good information on it. (you can get Laurie's guide on this site)

Then there is this website. Clicking on the map you will see every village with a pin which you can, in turn, click on and get information (I think a lot of this is taken from Laurie's guide)
https://www.outdooractive.com/en/route/hiking-route/spain/camino-olvidado/136161705/

I must confess that I am confused by the guide's marking of etapas with a and b designations rather than 1, 2, 3, etc. We have 21 days to walk the Olvidado in September. Is that possible, at least to Ponferrada? We are not purists, so we don't need to complete the entire route.

I must confess that I am confused by the guide's marking of etapas with a and b designations rather than 1, 2, 3, etc. We have 21 days to walk the Olvidado in September. Is that possible, at least to Ponferrada? We are not purists, so we don't need to complete the entire route.
The guide uses the letters to indicate alternatives. That means 2A and 3A are one way to get to point 4, and 2B and 3B are another way. This becomes clear when you look at the map. Same for 10A and 10B, two very different ways to get from Guardo to Puente Almuhey. 12A and 12B are two different ways to get from Cistierna to Boñar. The one piece that may be confusing until you look at the map is how to get from point 13 to point 16. And that’s because the “A” version is two days (13A - Boñar to La Robla; 14A - La Robla to La Magdalena). The “B” version is three days (13 B - Boñar to Vegacevera, 14 B - Vegacervera to Buiza/Pola de Gordón; and 15B Buiza to La Magdalena). So there is no 15A stage at all.

The stages aren’t set in stone, of course, and you can adjust depending on accommodation and your ability, but 21 days to Ponferrada is pretty do-able, at least for the types of people who are drawn to the Olvidado.

Does this help?

And p.s., I would also look at Ender’s English Olvidado guide, which is very similar in format to his Salvador guide and maybe more straightforward.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The guide uses the letters to indicate alternatives. That means 2A and 3A are one way to get to point 4, and 2B and 3B are another way. This becomes clear when you look at the map. Same for 10A and 10B, two very different ways to get from Guardo to Puente Almuhey. 12A and 12B are two different ways to get from Cistierna to Boñar. The one piece that may be confusing until you look at the map is how to get from point 13 to point 16. And that’s because the “A” version is two days (13A - Boñar to La Robla; 14A - La Robla to La Magdalena). The “B” version is three days (13 B - Boñar to Vegacevera, 14 B - Vegacervera to Buiza/Pola de Gordón; and 15B Buiza to La Magdalena). So there is no 15A stage at all.

The stages aren’t set in stone, of course, and you can adjust depending on accommodation and your ability, but 21 days to Ponferrada is pretty do-able, at least for the types of people who are drawn to the Olvidado.

Does this help?

And p.s., I would also look at Ender’s English Olvidado guide, which is very similar in format to his Salvador guide and maybe more straightforward.

Yes....this helps. I will use this and Ender's guide to start planning. We had been looking to do a camino starting down south, but we love the mountains, people, towns....the list is too long...that we keep getting pulled back to the north.

We have never had an issue doing long days despite our lack of confidence (or is it humility?) in our abilities.

On our first camino, we were three days ahead of our plans by the time we reached Burgos, ending up with an average walking distance of 17 miles per day for the whole camino. Before we started, we were worried we couldn't make it past Burgos.

I note this to give courage to others who doubt their capabilities or see their doubts cancel a camino walk. Take your time, grab a torta or bocadilla or whatever for a rest when a cafe beckons you, which can be often, and keep putting one foot in front of the other. The camino is much more infectious than any virus. And unlike a virus, you never want that infection to disappear. And it won't.

Did you walk? I'm curious about your experiences, especially regarding updates on available accommodation.
I'm planning to start the Olvidado/Invierno October 13th or 14th.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back