• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino The 2 Hospitaleros Are Actually Ángels. It's a Long Way from Tipperary to Santiago. Day 141

Kevin Considine

Time of past OR future Camino
The Two Hospitaleros Are Actually Ángels.
IT’S A LONGWAY FROM TIPPERARY TO SANTIAGO
Day 141. Lavacolla:

I leave Casa da Gándara Albergue in Boimorto at 7:30 and come to a junction. The old route is 48K to Santiago and takes 10K to get to Arzua where del Norte then meets up with Camino Frances. To the right is a new shortcut which meets up with Frances just before Lavacolla. I can’t decide so I resign to take the third option which is to start on the shortcut and then meet up with the Frances just before O Pedrouza which I think is about 46K. The early morning dark sky which has been cloudy and foggy for a week is filled with stars. Feeling juiced I begin walking and thinking big; perhaps I will go all the way to Santiago. But as the stars fade into the graying sky, the increasingly sharp pain in my left knee returns, the tightness in my right hamstring forces me to shorten my stride. After 10K my feet are throbbing and turning a corner I see my first pilgrims of the day, two small people and they are standing at an intersection. As I get closer I see that it is the two small Hospitaleros of Poille, Patrice and Gabrielle. They started opening their home to Santiago de Compostela pilgrims a year ago and I was their first pilgrim back on July 10 and they were incredibly kind and hospitable(as mentioned in my post two days ago). They told me they were going to go the easy way, the short way to Lavacolla. So I knew this was a gift. Lose your ego. Forget the 40 or 50K walk to Santiago. Just take it easy and walk to Lavacolla following these angels. And tomorrow walk slowly and easily into Santiago. Yes. I like that. The walking part of my 3800 kilometer (2360 miles) will end tomorrow with no grand finale, no glory. Just a simple pilgrim making his way to the great Cathedral. Humbled and filled with joy by the experience. Ultreia! Buen Camino!

1FB7DA36-5D3F-4615-A198-961311092CEE.jpeg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back