• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The 90-day Rule

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
I am planning so many caminos for next year, to make up for not being able to go for 2 years, but it has suddenly occurred to me that we’ve had Brexit in the meantime. I live in South Africa, but travel on a British passport. Can Brits still travel freely in Europe, or are they now at the mercy of the 90 day rule?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can Brits still travel freely in Europe, or are they now at the mercy of the 90 day rule?
Since Britain is not part of the Schengen Area and the EU, you can unfortunately only stay for visits of up to 90 days during an 180‑day period since 2021, as far as I know. Unless you have a visa from Spain which allows you to stay longer.

But, if you plan carefully and don't want to stay more than 6 months during the complete next year, it still might be possible, that you can hopefully walk all the Caminos which you want to 🌹.

About how to count those days, check here: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

And there's been just recently another thread which might help you further.

I'm in the same boat as you @jsalt, I am about to change my work circumstances and might have a foot in the UK and 1 in Spain, the next couple of months will tell, but I'm already looking at the Caminos I want to do, I seem to have started off with the addiction for them in 2010,purposely been more subdued for them from 2015-2019 to allow my non Camino life to develop and now seem to have got the yellow arrow fever again.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
if you plan carefully and don't want to stay more than 6 months during the complete next year, it still might be possible

But when I put the dates into the calculator, the rolling 180 days period kicks in, and I have 19 days left.
So you are planning at least 2 separate trips, spaced apart?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Isn’t everybody (irrespective whether in EU or not) limited to 90 days in Spain unless they apply for residency? That’s my take but I am confused. I understand the 90 in 180 day rule.

Isn’t everybody (irrespective whether in EU or not) limited to 90 days in Spain unless they apply for residency? That’s my take but I am confused. I understand the 90 in 180 day rule.
Yes and no. You are right, that any member of the EU / Schengen Area can officially stay in Spain for instance for 90 days only (though there's no 90 in 180 day rule).

If an EU-member wants to stay in another EU-host country for more than those three months, administrative obligations apply. For example, one needs to register in the host country. One has to inquire directly with the host country or with the local authority which documents one needs for registration. But basically there won't be a problem to stay longer, for travel reasons or to work there. There is no need for a visa, which members of a Third Country need.

EU citizens and citizens from Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway or Switzerland are exempt from this obligation. It must be clear though that that person will not live at the expense of the host country's welfare system. You also need a health insurance.

Members of the EU can stay up to 5 years in another EU-country. If EU citizens stay in an EU-host country for more than five years without interruption, they will receive a permanent residence permit. A residence card must be renewed every ten years.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
If an EU-member wants to stay in another EU-host country for more than those three months, administrative obligations apply. For example, one needs to register in the host country
Just one small comment. It is up to each EU country whether they impose an obligation to register their presence or not after a certain amount of time, usually 3 months. Many do but not all. The UK never did this afaik while they were still in the EU. Many EU countries do this because their own nationals also have to register at the place where they live. Same treatment for everyone.

I am planning so many caminos for next year, to make up for not being able to go for 2 years, but it has suddenly occurred to me that we’ve had Brexit in the meantime. I live in South Africa, but travel on a British passport. Can Brits still travel freely in Europe, or are they now at the mercy of the 90 day rule?
Hi
I am afraid that British passport holders are subject to the 90-day rule. I was born in the Uk and have lived here all my life and am a UK passport holder. I was planning to walk the Via Francigena next year when I was made aware of this. Luckily my mother was born in the Republic of Ireland and this entitled me to apply for an Irish passport which I have now received to get me round this rule.
Buen Camino
Vince

No. All my South African-born friends have to apply for a VERY expensive Schengen Visa before they can come on a camino with me. They have to travel to Pretoria (4 hours away) to make the application in person. It is a mission. And if their application is unsuccessful (for any reason) there is no refund.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Oh no. All my South African-born friends have to apply for a VERY expensive Schengen Visa before they can come on a camino with me. They have to travel to Pretoria (4 hours away) to make the application in person. It is a mission. And if their application is unsuccessful (for any reason) there is no refund.
jsalt,
Were you able to communicate with Casa Magica? it appear they received my email but never responded to me. I hope all is well with them.

jsalt,
Were you able to communicate with Casa Magica? it appear they received my email but never responded to me. I hope all is well with them.

I have emailed them, but haven't received a reply yet.

I have emailed them, but haven't received a reply yet.
On another thread someone asked whether anyone knew about any newly opened albergues that had failed due to the Covid pandemic, Reb wrote she knew of two. I hope Casa Magica is not one of them because the place was "magic" indeed.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Since Britain is not part of the Schengen Area and the EU, you can unfortunately only stay for visits of up to 90 days during an 180‑day period since 2021, as far as I know. Unless you have a visa from Spain which allows you to stay longer.

But, if you plan carefully and don't want to stay more than 6 months during the complete next year, it still might be possible, that you can hopefully walk all the Caminos which you want to 🌹.

About how to count those days, check here: https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

And there's been just recently another thread which might help you further.
Just remember that some countries have separate arrangements with individual countries that are also part of the Schengen area. Those provisions apply separately, although not twice over in an individual country. It means an NZer, for example, can move freely from one country to another, staying the maximum time in each country with which NZ has separate arrangements and pretty much stay full-time in Europe without ever coming home. It also can assist with long caminos, eg starting in France.

Just remember that some countries have separate arrangements with individual countries that are also part of the Schengen area. Those provisions apply separately, although not twice over in an individual country. It means an NZer, for example, can move freely from one country to another, staying the maximum time in each country with which NZ has separate arrangements and pretty much stay full-time in Europe without ever coming home. It also can assist with long caminos, eg starting in France.
Not entirely freely. The method of entry might be required to be by land for instance. So you have to be careful which country you enter from. That means perhaps countries A, B or C. You might have already had your extended stay in A, and to get to B (also by land) there may not be an extended visa option. To enter via C you may need to fly into C from D and the only flight from D to C is with a stop-over in E which doesn't allow an extended stay.

I'm not saying you can't extend your stay in Europe but you have to be careful of how each county's rules work.

Leaving aside COVID-related restrictions, if an EU passport holder wishes to stay in Spain (or another EU country) for longer than 90 days, does the person have to provide a reason why he or she wishes to remain in that country for a longer period of time, or is it just a simple matter of registering (no reason/explanation as to why)?

Also, does the 90-day rule apply to 90 days in one country or in the EU itself?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
if an EU passport holder wishes to stay in Spain (or another EU country) for longer than 90 days, does the person have to provide a reason why he or she wishes to remain in that country for a longer period of time, or is it just a simple matter of registering (no reason/explanation as to why)?

Also, does the 90-day rule apply to 90 days in one country or in the EU itself?
There is not really an answer to your question. The rules are made for EU nationals who have a fixed address in an EU country, i.e. a main address where they live, and not for people who roam around all the time.

You can move and settle in any EU country and usually you need to register after 90 days, in some countries even earlier. If you do not have employment, do not study, and do not actively look for work (there's a time limit as to how long you can do this), then you must show that you have sufficient resources and sickness insurance so that you do not become a burden on the social services of the host country. These are the only conditions you must fulfil. The usual case are EU pensioners who move to another EU country and take their pension AND their sickness insurance with them from their previous EU country to their new EU country. No other conditions apply.

I may be not up to date on this but I think that pensioners in particular often stay on vacation for more than 3 months in another country and don't register. This may be the same for the owners of second homes in another country. I have homes in two EU countries and nobody checks how much time I spend in each of them. If I had no home, nobody would check on my time spent in any EU country either.

The thing is that normal EU nationals need a bank account and electricity and water and telecommunication etc etc and more often than not you need to prove your residence when you subscribe to these services, hence you need to register at your local town hall.

I had to bring my proof of residence (not just proof of ID) when I went for my Covid-19 vaccination. You won't get a driving licence without proof of residence (not just proof of ID). And so on.

Last edited:
No. All my South African-born friends have to apply for a VERY expensive Schengen Visa before they can come on a camino with me. They have to travel to Pretoria (4 hours away) to make the application in person. It is a mission. And if their application is unsuccessful (for any reason) there is no refund.
Yes I am aware of the restrictions for ZA folks but my question was about UK passport holders.

There is not really an answer to your question. The rules are made for EU nationals who have a fixed address in an EU country, i.e. a main address where they live, and not for people who roam around all the time.

You can move and settle in any EU country and usually you need to register after 90 days, in some countries even earlier. If you do not have employment, do not study, and do not actively look for work (there's a time limit as to how long you can do this), then you must show that you have sufficient resources and sickness insurance so that you do not become a burden on the social services of the host country. These are the only conditions you must fulfil. The usual case are EU pensioners who move to another EU country and take their pension AND their sickness insurance with them from their previous EU country to their new EU country. No other conditions apply.

I may be not up to date on this but I think that pensioners in particular often stay on vacation for more than 3 months in another country and don't register. This may be the same for the owners of second homes in another country. I have homes in two EU countries and nobody checks how much time I spend in each of them. If I had no home, nobody would check on my time spent in any EU country either.

The thing is that normal EU nationals need a bank account and electricity and water and telecommunication etc etc and more often than not you need to prove your residence when you subscribe to these services, hence you need to register at your local town hall.

I had to bring my proof of residence (not just proof of ID) when I went for my Covid-19 vaccination. You won't get a driving licence without proof of residence (not just proof of ID). And so on.
Thanks. I wonder how it works for dual US EU citizens who don’t have a fixed address yet in the EU … Hmmm…

Most read last week in this forum

I am flying into Madrid and will arrive early morning. My thought is to go directly to Toledo and stay two nights there in a hotel or hostel so that I will have the ability to sleep during the...
Hello, it's been about 7 years since my last Camino, and this will be the first time I have had to book trains within Spain. There seems to be a few different train booking sites. Booking from...
Hello everyone. My husband has been talking about walking this trail for over 35 years —- since he was 20 years old. But, life’s problems alway seem to get in the way, don’t they? He’s been...
Hi I was wondering if anyone was taking the Express Bouricott from Biarritz to SJPP on the afternoon of 27th May as I am looking to join a group booking if possible….many thanks 😊
Would I be able to bring a backpack (size 20 -25 L) into the cabin and hold on to it rather than being forced to put the backpack into the luggage compartment of the bus? I'm reading several...
Looking for suggestions How do I get to Fatima from Lisbon Airport. Thanks

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back