• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The act of commitment

Ian T

I now have a back pack
Time of past OR future Camino
When she says I can
Well here I go, read so many threads I am word blind but all so wonderful and helpful. So here I go.

I have decided to go last week of May next year and June so 34 days or there abouts.

That's it, the planning done apart from booking Eurostar to Biaritz when it becomes available and sorting out me kit.

Just going to get there and start walking - seems to be the best advice

Regards

Ian

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome and Buen Camino Ian!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Well here I go, read so many threads I am word blind but all so wonderful and helpful. So here I go.

I have decided to go last week of May next year and June so 34 days or there abouts.

That's it, the planning done apart from booking Eurostar to Biaritz when it becomes available and sorting out me kit.

Regards

Ian
Ian, wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have the process & the correct idea keep your personal commitments as that will be the true blessing!
Buen Camino
Keith

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Regards

Ian

Which Camino?
I really like the advice to just get there and start walking.
Be there...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Frances - I did it a couple of weeks ago out on the Frances route couple of days in Santiago and back along the Norte route, absolutely loved it and it only took a week.

Mind you that was on a motorbike!!!

Dreaming of it ever since my brother and his wife did it about ten years ago, now I am free and judging by her reaction to the news of my impending retirement I may be more free than first anticipated.

I now have boots and a Swiss Army knife what more could a boy need?

Ian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Nooo the mere fact of membership is hard, transporting myself there seems impossible.

How bizarre - and these machines!!! I shall search the forum for the answer

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Well that plan not working.

I have a gym card, a Swiss Army knife, my boots and my coffee maker(alas no beans yet).

Something is still missing.

I need another more cunning plan

Ian

Well here is the update:

Opened the Swiss Army knife, cut my finger - must find an adult in future.

Put the boots on and walked along the Wolds Way - quite fun really.

Used the gym card - you so right SY they are scary, having difficulty lifting my arms to type.

Brought some walking socks - still in packets at the mo.

Looking at the back pack sites now.

Alas no coffee beans yet

Ian

What about leaving the coffee maker at home? Then you won't have to get coffee beans :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Enjoy as I have, I completed 30 and a half years with US Govt and I knew it was time. So now on Aug 25 I fly out to Paris and then south to start my Camino. Haven't looked back one day.. Que Dios Te Bendiga..

What about leaving the coffee maker at home? Then you won't have to get coffee beans :D

To quote the immortal Meatloaf - I can do anything .... But I won't to that.

New boots and socks got a pounding today up to two and a half miles. Think I'm on a roll

Ian

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Regards

Ian
Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which ruins countless plans and great ideas. That is, that once one commits ones self, providence moves too, providing all sorts of aid, material and otherwise that would otherwise have been unavailable. Commitment has power to it.

Until one is committed, there is hesitancy, the chance to draw back. Always ineffectiveness. Concerning all acts of initiative and creation, there is one elementary truth, the ignorance of which ruins countless plans and great ideas. That is, that once one commits ones self, providence moves too, providing all sorts of aid, material and otherwise that would otherwise have been unavailable. Commitment has power to it.

@koshin
I agree. I committed myself to my fall camino back in February when I bought my air ticket. Providence came to my aid this past week. On Wednesday, a tooth fell out of my mouth as I was flossing. My dentist, who is about to take holidays, agreed to see me early on Friday morning. I was wondering how the cost of major dental work would affect my finances for my camino. I took with me to the dentist this year's statement that I am a low-income senior and have the right to whatever coverage the provincial health plan provides. When the needed work was done, after an hour and a half, I asked the receptionist about the bill and she informed me that there was no charge above the government coverage. On my camino last fall, I was reassured that God would provide for all my needs. (Sorry for the religion, but I can't think of how else to say it). So far, this promise has been fulfilled.

Funny how a little tooth can become an issue. I had an exposed root 2 days before leaving yet it just happened my dentist could get me in. That never happens! All problems just cleared away. Yes it seems blessings do happen. :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yup
Totally agree commitment is commitment. Mine is firm as is everyone's I read on this wonderful forum.

Each piece of kindly offered advice is another kind soul building upon theirs and mine. Where else is this wonderful world would you be able to give, receive and experience such a thing.

Hello Ian. I am doing the Camino mid May, it's a shame we miss each other by a few weeks.
I will be turning 60 and I am hoping this walk will give me some perspective about retiring, like your self I also cut my finger trying to open my new Swiss knife.
Travelling from Australia I have allowed 40 days, hope to catch up on the trail Buen Camino

Hey Tony
Good to hear from you, yup looks like we will be there around the same time. I am trying to not plan anything so not sure what day I am going to start just waiting for Eurostar to open up bookings for May and I will be on my way. We sure should meet up considering our traumas with the Swiss army beast. Mine does not even have scissors on it.

Training going well - new backpack arrives tomorrow. One day I gonna have to use all this gear!!!

Hope you well

Ian

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I now have an Osprey Kestrel 38. It looks mighty fine

Ian

I hope you are a blogger @Ian T. For some reason I'm thinking tales of your Camino will be well worth the read.

I now have an Osprey Kestrel 38. It looks mighty fine

Ian
Good choice! I carried & still do the Kestrel 48. We all pack differently so I won't go there but the best way to dry clothing or towel if you don't get something dry is to clip carabiners to the webbing on the lid & on the bag. clip on & go never lost any items. Well maybe walking thru cities with my skivvies some looked at me a bit off:)

€60,-
I sincerely hope you skivvies remained safely attached. I am off to the nappy pin shop for some strong ones.

Or I could drop a size or three

Ian

Well I have finished the planning for next May:

Leaving home on Monday 22nd on 2057 train
Arrive London 0103
Depart Eurostar 0540
Arrive Biarritz 1548
Depart Biarritz 1748
Arrive St Jean 1912

Next morning start walking - that's is. Get to Santiago then see if I go onto Murcia, would like to but see how it takes me

Then jump on the train for home - think that covers about everything except sleeping bag v liner and waterproofs v poncho. I shall see what turns up.

Regards

Ian

A selection of Camino Jewellery
She signed me up to a gym. I had heard of these strange places - sat here for a week and nothing has happened.

This training is not as hard as I thought

Ian

(A friend posted this on FB):

Just been to the gym and there's a new machine. Only used it for an hour as I started to feel sick.

It's good though, it does everything 'Kit Kats, Mars bars, Snickers and crisps'!
:D

Ha ha love it

Must join it sounds like my kinda gym
(A friend posted this on FB):

Just been to the gym and there's a new machine. Only used it for an hour as I started to feel sick.

It's good though, it does everything 'Kit Kats, Mars bars, Snickers and crisps'!
:D

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back