• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

The Alternative Route into Porrino

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
Hi, there seems to be quite a lot of interest in the Camino Portugues at the moment, so I thought I’d post my suggestions for the Porrino section.

6kms after Tui you arrive at Cruceiro San Telmo (Ponte das Febres)

463b.jpg

If you don’t have Brierley :D you may miss the significance of this little spot. It is here that San Telmo fell sick and died of a fever in 1251 on his way back from Santiago de Compostela. Do take a moment to contemplate and read the inscription on the small monument.

3.5kms later you reach Orbenlle

465b.jpg

You now have a choice of routes: the original route through the industrial area of Porrino (Poligono Industrial), or a lovely woodland path. I have done both, and highly recommend the slightly longer (by 2 kms) alternative route through the woods.

BUT, don’t take the left-hand fork just yet. It is worth taking the right-hand fork, and calling in at Bar Laguna 90m further on

468b.jpg

Very friendly and good food, and there is no need to then backtrack, as just before Bar Laguna you will see this sign

467b.jpg

The “Alternativa” 9.2kms route will soon get you back onto the woodland path

469b.jpg

After a delightful walk through the woods, you then come to a roundabout, and into the suburbs of Porrino. As you are about to pass under the A-55, look out for the option to take the river route on the left. This avoids the noisy walk along the busy main road.

The river route meanders around a bit, and it doesn’t matter which side of the river you walk on, but near the end, at a bridge, the right-hand side veers off to the right. If you cross back over to the left-hand side you will soon arrive directly at the Xunta albergue

472b.jpg

The old town of Porrino is now just across the road bridge, where there are lots of shops, supermarkets, cafes, bars and restaurants.

473b.jpg

Bom caminho!
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
great info.....thanks for sharing:)
I will look out for this in October
aidan

Alnergues in Tui have posters showing the new alternativa through the woods, but the posters make ot look confusing. Luckily it is not, the signs are very clear, so fear not.

For some reason I seem to recall the mention that shop owners are in a battle with the new route as it is causing themto lose business and they cross out the new arrows. Thanks to OP for mentioning the bar just 90 meters away and the fact that you don't have to backtrack. It's importantto keep those who may suffer from new routes as well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
the bar just 90 meters away and the fact that you don't have to backtrack. It's importantto keep those who may suffer from new routes as well.

Hi, I had seen earlier threads about this, so when I was there again in March I made a point of checking it all out in detail.

The river route further along was an added bonus! I saw the signs to the left (away from the “official” path), remembered the horrible walk along the main road, and so decided to go for it.

I was a bit apprehensive at first. The area is littered, ill-kept, and the path really meandered. But after a while it got better, and I met walkers with dogs, and a few joggers. I had crossed over to the right-hand side of the river, when a local couple walking towards me on the left-hand bank, called out to me that I must cross back over at the next bridge if I wanted to go to the albergue.

Jill

Agree with you, Jill, by far the best route. We walked along the river last year. Lovely.

Hi, there seems to be quite a lot of interest in the Camino Portugues at the moment, so I thought I’d post my suggestions for the Porrino section.

6kms after Tui you arrive at Cruceiro San Telmo (Ponte das Febres)

View attachment 28328

If you don’t have Brierley :D you may miss the significance of this little spot. It is here that San Telmo fell sick and died of a fever in 1251 on his way back from Santiago de Compostela. Do take a moment to contemplate and read the inscription on the small monument.

3.5kms later you reach Orbenlle

View attachment 28329

You now have a choice of routes: the original route through the industrial area of Porrino (Poligono Industrial), or a lovely woodland path. I have done both, and highly recommend the slightly longer (by 2 kms) alternative route through the woods.

BUT, don’t take the left-hand fork just yet. It is worth taking the right-hand fork, and calling in at Bar Laguna 90m further on

View attachment 28331

Very friendly and good food, and there is no need to then backtrack, as just before Bar Laguna you will see this sign

View attachment 28330

The “Alternativa” 9.2kms route will soon get you back onto the woodland path

View attachment 28332

After a delightful walk through the woods, you then come to a roundabout, and into the suburbs of Porrino. As you are about to pass under the A-55, look out for the option to take the river route on the left. This avoids the noisy walk along the busy main road.

The river route meanders around a bit, and it doesn’t matter which side of the river you walk on, but near the end, at a bridge, the right-hand side veers off to the right. If you cross back over to the left-hand side you will soon arrive directly at the Xunta albergue

View attachment 28333

The old town of Porrino is now just across the road bridge, where there are lots of shops, supermarkets, cafes, bars and restaurants.

View attachment 28334

Bom caminho!
Jill

Olà, there are some bar owners destroying the way marks and overpainting the arrows.

A very useful link to this problem :
in good weather it´s a beautyful way, especially the last kms along the tiny river.

Also the maps : http://caminhocentralasantiago.blogspot.de/p/blog-page.html ~click Print e Leva!~

I hope you can now avoid the industrial area Orbenlle.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great post thanks. Just a couple things

- there is reason to believe that both bars, the one featured above and another one almost next to it are responsible for the mess with teh signage at Orbenlle. When teh Camino was changed to avoid the industrial estate pilgrims no longer went by their places. Indeed, there is no reason to go by the bars as you can make a left into the woods before Bar Orbenlle or even at Bar Orbenlle and not go down the hill to the bars only to circle uphill again.

- unfortunately the woodland walk is fairly short and, although much nicer than the industrial estate, ends fairly quick. Before you know it you will be on sidewalks and small roads through residential areas.

- the second alternative route is at the underpass as you enter the porriño sprawl. And once again the signage is messed up thanks to the local bars that have seen their pilgrim business dwindle. So, unfortunately, you will probably end up on the route that takes you into town along the highway (very ugly) and not the river.

Not my favourite stage on the Portuguese Camino

Back