• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The alternatives between Irun and San Sebastian

bjorgts

Time of past OR future Camino
In Spain, France, Portugal, Germany since 2003
The routes in the Jaizkibel: I plan my walk this summer which will end on the first part of Camino Norte. I know that some kilometers after Irun, at the Santuario de Nuestra Sra. de Guadalupe I can choose between the Camino or the Alpinista route. People say: take the Alpinista. Even my German guidebook has this alternative, but I do not understand how to find out which is which. My guide says that about 300 meters after the Santuario the route split up, but should I go left for the Alpinista or should I go right? And what sort of marking is there to understand the difference? Can anybody help me? Bjørg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When you leave the sanctuary follow the arrows, i can not remember how long but 300 seems a bit long, is the sign with the higher alpinista route on it. The normal way goes around the left side of the mountain as you go west, and the higher way goes up a steep slope to your right. You cant really miss it, It is well marked.

I walked the same in '10. The above description mikevasey notes above sounds exactly as I remember. There was clear signage so not to confuse. While a wonderful experience on a cold rainy June day when I walked, I would choose the lower route this next time as the fog was too think to have any view at all.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I followed the lower level route, it was along soft gentle track amongst trees and was very nice however I knew I had missed something special by not going the higher route, i had tendonitis a few days earlier and did not want to push it too hard at that point. The people who i walked with for the next few weeks were still going on about the higher level and its views several weeks later:).

When I walked last spring, the advice in the alberge in Irun was to take the lower route as the weather was not good and the top would be in cloud that day. When I got to the spot where the paths split, one was clearly marked to the left and was level, while the other was marked with a yellow cross and climbed very steeply. As I could see that the top of the ridge was in cloud, I stayed on the lower path. I have since seen photos taken from the top on a clear day, and would have loved to have been there, but there is no point doing it when the weather is not clear. Wait until you are about to set off to make your decision, if the weather is good and you feel like a steep walk, then go for it! The lower walk is still a great route, I really enjoyed walking it. Buen Camino!

Thank you! I do not want to miss the places where one can choose an alternative nearer to the cost and/or the views. If I understand your answers right, I will know when I am there which alternative is the alpinista. I will be coming from the GR 10 from SJPdP to Irun, and hope to be trained by then - if I have managed the 1000 meters up and down on the GR 10… o_O
Are there other special places where you would recommend me to choose an alternative route?
Bjørg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you! I do not want to miss the places where one can choose an alternative nearer to the cost and/or the views. If I understand your answers right, I will know when I am there which alternative is the alpinista. I will be coming from the GR 10 from SJPdP to Irun, and hope to be trained by then - if I have managed the 1000 meters up and down on the GR 10… o_O
Are there other special places where you would recommend me to choose an alternative route?
Bjørg
Hi, Bjorg,

My recommendations are from walking the Norte about 8 years ago, so things may have changed. In general, though, I would say that any time you get a choice to take the E9, go for it. It is always along the coast and will come back to the Camino at some point. There is a wonderful coastal walk leaving Tapia, there is one that goes up and has beautiful views on the way into Llanes, and I have a memory of a few more that I can't locate on a map.

But here is a map that shows the E9 in northern Spain:
http://www.wandermap.net/en/officia...e9-part-spain/#/z13/43.41452,-4.72473/terrain

Oh! Nice map! I have tried to find out where the E9 goes, but I have not got this map when I have googled for E9. This is a very good help.
Since my husband and I use our holydays walking Caminos, we walk parts most of the time, and then there is no date when we have to be in Santiago or elsewhere. We just walk as far as our holyday allows us. Then we return back home and continue next holyday. Then we can take all the alternative “curves” we want to. The way is the aim – although we are always aiming for Santiago. Bjørg

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...
I use Alltrails a lot here in the US, in Iceland, on the Via Podiensis and a bit on the CF. Will it be useful on the Norte? For example, people here say the "warm up" from Biarritz to Irun (or...
Tomorrow I fly to Bilbao to start my 5th stint on the Camino. I did the Frances in three parts (2016, 2017 and 2022). Last year I did the Portuguese from Porto. I did the first 200 km of the...
I thought I had this all figured out, but I have ended up with 2 train tickets from San Sebastian (I don't even know if it's the airport or the town) to Irun, instead of ONE that goes all the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back