• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The "barra" and the life in Spain nowadays

Katia Taam

Time of past OR future Camino
Every year, since 2000. Most times portuguese camino also twice the french camiño. Two time Le Puy .
It seems it will be possible for me to make the camino in September. My question is how normal life in cities will be. I know that the intense nightlife of the Spaniards goes through the "barra" . How is life now? Anyone who has made the camino or is doing it now??

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I don't think anyone can say anything about Sept. Look to Portugal, how fast things can change.
I am asking about now. Just to have an idea...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It seems it will be possible for me to make the camino in September. My question is how normal life in cities will be. I know that the intense nightlife of the Spaniards goes through the "barra" . How is life now? Anyone who has made the camino or is doing it now??
In Santiago things are almost back to normal. A bit more life at the tables outside since people tened to avoid inside still. Here you can order at the bar, but not sit down. Tons of people around at night…

Hi there! I have been in Seville for 6 days and am now in Irun and passed through Bilbao earlier. Bars are very busy and things are starting to feel normal again. All bars had to shut in Seville at midnight though.

I don't think that most pilgrims take part in the intense nightlife while they are on the Camino. 😉
I'll stay some days at Santiago were I do intend to go out at night. Even during the caminho I do go to a bar to have a caña or some wine.
I''ll stay 2 months at Spain after the camino so...

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'll stay some days at Santiago were I do intend to go out at night. Even during the caminho I do go to a bar to have a caña or some wine.
I''ll stay 2 months at Spain after the camino so...

In Santiago : Casa da Crechas and O Boneco are two great bars. The first one has some great live gigs!

Thanks Sabine.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi there. I live in Spain, in Andalucia, about 40km from the Via de La Plata. Bar life is pretty much back to where it was, within certain parameters. On entering the bar it is still obligatory to wear your mask. Once you are set either at the bar or at a table you can take it off. All bars have disinfecting handwash available in multiple places. As long as you are sensible and respect the 1.5 metres distance your experience will be phenomenal.

I don't think that most pilgrims take part in the intense nightlife while they are on the Camino. 😉
If you are staying in municipal albergues, most have an early curfew which is usually set so that the the locals have not yet gone out for their evening yet.

Yes, but I also stay at hostels and hotels. Also I do stay an extra day at Burgos and Leon. When I think about night I am thinking of some cañas or some wine, not really "night" as young people, I am 69.
I love the way Spanishs go out... they do it if they are 20 or 70... they go to a bar and stay at the "barra" to drink and talk... and then they go to another bar and start everything again.
Have you ever been lo "La Bicha" in Leon to eat morcilla and drink some cañas?? I am dreaming of it ...
This is my way to enjoy the camiño and and the Spanish experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back