• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The beauty of the San Salvador

Davey Boyd

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Again, soon as possible!
Hi fellow pilgrims. Just been talking to tamsenita who was asking what the San Salvador was like

Could not figure out how to put pics in a conversation so I think these show the Salvador in a good light.

Enjoy!

094-23 Mist pours over the mountains on the descent to Poladura de la Tercia.JPG
Mist pours over the mountains on the descent to Poladura de la Tercia

094-24 Heading to what we thought was Poladura de la Tercia. It turned out to be Rodiezmo.JPG
Heading to what we thought was Poladura de la Tercia. It turned out to be Rodiezmo (Should of turned left here)

094-32 Crossing the El Canto de la Tusa heading for the Cross of San Salvador.JPG
Crossing the El Canto de la Tusa heading for the Cross of San Salvador (Looking back the way we came)

094-33 Angel climbs to the Cross of San Salvador at the summit of the El Canto de la Tusa.JPG
Heading to the cross of San Salvador

094-37 A beautiful.jpg
The cross of San Salvador

094-42 The Way to Santa Maria de Arbas.JPG
The Way to Santa Maria de Arbas

094-43 After crossing a ridge the village of Busdongo.JPG
After crossing a ridge the village of Busdongo comes into view. While not heading there it is a good marker

094-60 Angel descends the very steep mountain pass of Puerto de Pajeres.JPG
Angel descends the very steep mountain pass of Puerto de Pajeres

095-18 Looking back. We crossed those mountains yesterday.JPG
Looking back (on the outskirts of Llanos de Someron). We crossed those mountains top left yesterday.

095-25 A beautiful view leaving Llanos de Someron.JPG
A beautiful view leaving Llanos de Someron

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
wonderful photos. The one looking down on Busdongo brought back wonderful memories... of the day I was almost struck by lightning!
I simply had to like that post, but don't think it meant I liked the idea of you being struck by lightening!

I've been in fire lookout towers during lightening storms before, and twice the tower was struck. I know well that feeling right before the stroke and the boom that seems to precede the flash, followed by the inevitable trip to the laundry. . .

Photos are wonderful but certainly looks challenging for myself solo. If I can find a walking buddy for September would love to do this before the Primitivo.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Photos are wonderful but certainly looks challenging for myself solo. If I can find a walking buddy for September would love to do this before the Primitivo.
Unless you are skilled and familiar with mountain hiking, it probably is best to do with a buddy. A simple slip and twist of the knee could be a real problem with so few people on this route.

But the beauty is incomparable. Very few places have struck me this awed, and I have the Rocky Mountains for my back yard.

Thank you for sharing the pictures. What a beautiful Camino! I just returned from the Primitivo and already I'm planning a new Camino for 2017 and from your pictures, the Salvador looks tempting.

Unless you are skilled and familiar with mountain hiking, it probably is best to do with a buddy. A simple slip and twist of the knee could be a real problem with so few people on this route.

But the beauty is incomparable. Very few places have struck me this awed, and I have the Rocky Mountains for my back yard.
Well, I'm here in Leon and have been to the Albergue to collect my Salvador credential but also a very negative lecture from the hospitaleros. Too many ascents and bad descents and I'm alone. I feel like I want to try it but don't want to be stupid. I have printed out Enders English guide which looks great. I also have the bus timetable for Oviedo. La Robles does seem a bit far for my first day. I will sleep on it and ask for Divine intervention :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, I'm here in Leon and have been to the Albergue to collect my Salvador credential but also a very negative lecture from the hospitaleros. Too many ascents and bad descents and I'm alone. I feel like I want to try it but don't want to be stupid. I have printed out Enders English guide which looks great. I also have the bus timetable for Oviedo. La Robles does seem a bit far for my first day. I will sleep on it and ask for Divine intervention :)

Hi, Heather, Having walked the Salvador twice alone and once in company, I would just say take what the hospitaleros say with a grain of salt. Have they walked the Salvador? (reminds me of the lecture I got from the hospitaleros in Ponferrada, telling me how dangerous the Invierno was -- so glad I ignored them, and as Asun pointed out to me later on, they had no idea what they were talking about. This may also be true of the hospitaleros in Leon). If the weather is good and if you have time, you can explore a bit before the mountain part to see if there are others out there walking -- my guess is that there are likely to be a few. Of course, you shouldn't do anything that doesn't feel comfortable, and so if La Robla feels far, how about Cabanillas for the first day and La Robla for Day 2? Not sure how much time you have, but there is nothing between Leon and Buiza that would raise any eyebrows in terms of safety or terrain. Weather is definitely a consideration. If you decide to go to La Robla, let me know and I'll email Ender to see if he can come by to talk about what lies ahead. He lives very close to La Robla. Buen camino, Laurie

It's 28,5kms from Leon cathedral to La Robla albergue but you can shorten your first stage by staying in Cabanillas albergue which is 18,7kms from Leon cathedral. Cabanillas doesn't have any other infrastructure you could use, but in Carbajal de la Legua you can buy some food etc., or walk/hitchhike another 1,6kms to La Seca where bar/restaurant and tienda are.
Loved that stretch from Leon to La Robla :)

EDIT: Of course Laurie as a true Salvador fan was a bit faster. And you should listen to her :D

Thanks Laurie, I am going to try for La Robla. The receptionist at Guzman tried to phone for me but no one at Albergue. He kindly said he will try again later. If I only make it to Cabanillas I will phone La Robla. Can I get a meal at La Robla?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It's 28,5kms from Leon cathedral to La Robla albergue but you can shorten your first stage by staying in Cabanillas albergue which is 18,7kms from Leon cathedral. Cabanillas doesn't have any other infrastructure you could use, but in Carbajal de la Legua you can buy some food etc., or walk/hitchhike another 1,6kms to La Seca where bar/restaurant and tienda are.
Loved that stretch from Leon to La Robla :)

EDIT: Of course Laurie as a true Salvador fan was a bit faster. And you should listen to her :D
Thanks for your help Kinky. I'm really looking forward to getting away from it all

Thanks Laurie, I am going to try for La Robla. The receptionist at Guzman tried to phone for me but no one at Albergue. He kindly said he will try again later. If I only make it to Cabanillas I will phone La Robla. Can I get a meal at La Robla?

You're experienced and know how to rely on what your gut is telling you. Jpflavin spent the night in Cabanillas and liked it a lot. But if you make it to La Robla, there are several restaurants in the center of town. Pilgrim friendly place, but it is kind of a sad place as well, because it was a coal mining town. And now there is no mining. I have written to Ender to tell him you may be there today or tomorrow. :) Buen camino!

Hi, camino07/Heather,

Just heard from Ender that he is up north working on putting arrows on the Camino Olvidado (another beautiful solitary route). He says he's sorry he cannot come to see you, but that his information is that there are many pilgrims on the Salvador now. Remember, though, that "many pilgrims" is relative for the Salvador. Hope you are well and that you find companionship! Buen camino, Laurie

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Lovely Pics, thanks. I was intending to revisit the Salvador (and then onto the Primitivo) during this summer's walk but had to give them a miss and walk the easier Norte from Gijon as I was still having Achilles tendon problems. Now you have made me feel a little sad. It is a lovely walk. As said above though. Best not walked alone (as I did). It would be so easy to turn an ankle etc. and you could easily be in trouble.
Buen Camino to all planning this walk.

Hi, camino07/Heather,

Just heard from Ender that he is up north working on putting arrows on the Camino Olvidado (another beautiful solitary route). He says he's sorry he cannot come to see you, but that his information is that there are many pilgrims on the Salvador now. Remember, though, that "many pilgrims" is relative for the Salvador. Hope you are well and that you find companionship! Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Laurie first time back on forum .
There were 9 pilgrims in La Robla. Must admit I was shocked at the climbs on the first day and the temp hit 35 met and walked with friendle Spanish man. German couple can speak English we had met in 2013 had meal in Ponte Ulla, amazing!
Yesterday was better day , varied and felt more positive although have toe blister. 4 men in Albergue and 4 of us in Casa , delicious meal. Today will test as it looks like rain. Enders guide is great and markings excellent. I will stay in Albergue at Pajares but I will miss my other English speakers as they are staying private from now on.
I'm enjoying the Salvador but don't think I would repeat it :) thanks for all your help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi, Heather, So glad that you had company. Walking in 35 degree temps cannot be fun. From Buiza to Poladura is pretty, but the crown jewel is today -- Poladura to Pajares, IMO. Hope you have good enough weather to enjoy it.

If you want a nice easy day from Pajares, consider staying in Benduenos tomorrow. It's a (well marked) 1.5 km detour (though it is UP) from the hamlet of Herias. It is absolutely a delightful stop, wonderful Albergue. Sandra is a wonderful hospitalera and the place is peaceful, one of those calm magical camino spots. Marisa (the hospitalera in Pajares) will probably call ahead for you if you want to stop there instead of going on to Pola de Lena.

Sounds like the Salvador may have a lot more "hang in there and keep your nose to the ground" moments for you than it did for me. There are several forum members considering the Salvador now, so your comments will provide great balance. Fingers crossed for beautiful mountain views today. Buen camino, Laurie

Yes this is definitely a very hard Camino for me but I was warned. Anyway needed a challenge and I have that. Pajares Was wonderful. I arrived exhausted and stressed coming down that narrow path in the fog and having to clamber around muddy paths. I heard music and arrived at the end of a fiesta , there was dancing in the street. I was given cool drink and food and shown to the Albergue. Marisa cooked us late lunch and then dinner. She is a marvel.
Today to Pola de Lena was quite scared at times due to my vertigo and walking along narrow paths with drop on one side. Finally limped in to Campo
Manes at 2pm. Met up with the German couple , Spanish guys far behind. Arrived in Pola de Lena at 4 and now relaxing in plaza with a drink. This Camino is beautiful but not for retired, unfit Perigrinas. Mieres tomorrow.
Wondered why the Plaza was full of people and was told this always happens when there is a funeral. White hearse with flowers all over the sides. Good that the whole town turns out.

Here I am in Oviedo, I made it!
Loved today even with the climbs. Weather just right and views amazing . My photos are on FB don't know how to put them on here Duh!
6 more Spanish pilgrims joined us at Mieres. Great to come over the hill and catch my first sight of Oviedo. Will miss my Salvador Camino family as no one is going on to Primitivo only me. Rain is predicted for Friday so I better get praying :-/

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Forgot to say thanks to all for the great advice and support. Laurie and others

Heather, so happy to hear you are safe and sound in Oviedo. You wanted a challenge, and you it sounds like you had one! Maybe you and Nuala will run into each other on the Primitivo, though she is a bit ahead of you.

Let us know how things go for you on the Primitivo, hope the weather holds for you. Buen camino, Laurie

Here I am in Oviedo, I made it!
Loved today even with the climbs. Weather just right and views amazing . My photos are on FB don't know how to put them on here Duh!
6 more Spanish pilgrims joined us at Mieres. Great to come over the hill and catch my first sight of Oviedo. Will miss my Salvador Camino family as no one is going on to Primitivo only me. Rain is predicted for Friday so I better get praying :-/

Coucou,

How was the Primtivo? Just shaking this thread to life in case you want to tell us! Or perhaps you wrote about it in the Primitivo section, ooups... I'll go there first...

/BP

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

(Soon-) Live from the Camino del Salvador - starting end of April 24. We are currently on the Camino de Invierno around 43km before reaching Santiago - from there we will catch a bus to Leon to...
First time posting Live? Left León at 8am. Arrived at Cabanillas 2. The path is very beautiful. 20km total. Followed the River. At first town we went to the lovely Bar and Tienda. I bought cheese...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back