• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

the best back pack!

prilia

Hi.
I have joined relatively recently and posted questions relating to accomodation in S J D P. Having sorted that one out (many thanks to all who helped me out) I am now in rucksack/backpack territory. I am currently looking at Berghaus / Lowe Alpine / Osprey - all around 35 litre capacity. My priorities would be lightweight and freeflow air circulation. Any opinions would be gratefully received.
I am finding the forum a most useful mine of information although the bed bugs info is slightly freaking me out!
Thanks in anticipation for all advice.
Regards
Prilia

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Backpacks are like shoes, you really need to try them on and see what fits. It is best to try them loaded with the amount of weight you will be carrying. I have a Vaude Spindrift that is about 35 liters that I love because it fits well, is waterproof and is light. I also have an Osprey Aura 35 that has better circulation and fits very well. The brands that you mention are all reputable. Start trying them on. You'll find that one right for you. Be sure to compare empty weights.

I tried a lot of packs and settled on the Gregory Z55. It is excellent and fits all of my needs. My wife has a Gregory Jade 35 (women's style) and it works very well for her.
It really is an important decision and not one where you want to go with the cheapest option.
Do a lot of looking.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi there...

I was amazed when I went to try on backpacks. I never realized that you don't pick your pack... your pack picks YOU!! I had several that I wanted and when I tried them on with weights in them, I thought I was literally carrying an elephant. When I put on my Osprey Aura 50 with 20 lbs of weight... I actually could hardly even feel it on my back. It wasn't the style or the color I wanted but how it felt on my back confirmed this was indeed my pack. Since then, I've been putting in the miles with it on my back and it feels great. I did however go to REI to have them fit it to me and ended up leaving the store with a new pack that was the 65 instead of the 50. It's much easier to pack, a nicer color and a pocket in the bottom so my sleeping bag will be inside instead of strapped on outside. I can't wait to begin.

Go to a mountaineering store where you can try on several styles and brands and let your pack reveal itself to you. I know you will find your perfect pack!

Happy Trails.....

Karla

The only thing I would add is that your probably be better off with a slightly larger pack that a smaller one. 500 grams wont make that much of a difference and a bread roll and a few bananas that have been squeezed into an already full backpack at 7.00 in the morning don't look too appetizing at midday. The last thing you want is plastic bags hanging off your pack.

My pack is a La Fuma 60 + 10 and its is heavy by superlights standards, however it fit me like a glove and works fine.

Oh and the other thing, even the best pack is useless if its not adjusted properly. I saw many people with badly adjusted loads and packs negating any positive benefits that the pack may have.

I spoke to a woman at Carrion de los Condes and asked her if she was happy with how her pack felt because it was all over the place, the compression straps were loose and it was swinging all over the place. She said "Oh my son was going to show me how to adjust it before I left but he never got around to it" So here she was after 15 days and anyway after we adjusted it she was amazed at the difference it made.

Ok now lets talk about boots vs shoes ...... Ok maybe not

Take care and good luck

Pablo

Ok now lets talk about boots vs shoes ...... Ok maybe not :?:

what about sandals :!: :lol: :roll:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree that you should go to a reputable store(s) to get expert opinion and fitting. Try lots of them on while the pack is full. I had a Gregory 40 and now have a Jade 50 which is very lightweight and has an excellent air flow-through. Went up to the 50 simply to avoid having everything (yes, including my lunch) so jammed that I couldn't move or find anything.
Buen camino!
lynne

Sandals!! Sandals!!

You can't wear sandals .... Socks and sandals is just not a good look.

Its a know fact that medieval pilgrims were fashion conscious that's why they picked the scallop shell and The Camino's emblem. Ive read old manuscripts where they described the Shell as "super cool" or "Much fresco" or some Latin or medieval Spanish equivalent.

I mean they could have picked the "Empanada" emblem or the "Pulpo Gallego" emblem but lets face it a cooked squid hanging of your brand new high tech backpack is just not a good look.

But having said all that (it must be obvious I have some free time on my hands at the moment)
I do own a pair of Teva sandals and just between you and me I have been know to slip a socked foot into them in the privacy of my own home at night with the blinds drawn. But don't tell anyone OK.

Pablo

Pablo2007 said:
I mean they could have picked the "Empanada" emblem or the "Pulpo Gallego" emblem but lets face it a cooked squid hanging of your brand new high tech backpack is just not a good look.
Man, I can't stop laughing just thinking about it. Your a twisted man Pablo.

Col

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi.
I have joined relatively recently and posted questions relating to accomodation in S J D P. Having sorted that one out (many thanks to all who helped me out) I am now in rucksack/backpack territory. I am currently looking at Berghaus / Lowe Alpine / Osprey - all around 35 litre capacity. My priorities would be lightweight and freeflow air circulation. Any opinions would be gratefully received.
I am finding the forum a most useful mine of information although the bed bugs info is slightly freaking me out!
Regards
Prilia
I love my ZPack Arc Blast http://www.zpacks.com/backpacks.shtml

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I carried 15 lbs without the water. Once I had 3 - 4 liters of water, but usually under 1 liter.
The support is fantastic. I had the 45 liter pack. It also comes in 52 liters and 60 liters. 45 was plenty for me. You measure yourself and they make it for you. Check out their website. They have many other items that worked great for me. I absolutely loved my pack.
Shipping is free in U.S. If it doesn't work, you send it back.

I don't mind extra weight which makes for a better pack. A light pack which starts to feel heavy as soon as you put stuff in it is a heavy pack. Some initially heavy packs may have features which make the load inside lighter.

This is not an argument for kitchen-sink choices. I do have a Victorinox which I regard as too weighty and over-featured for most purposes, so you can have a pack that is too heavy in itself. However, when I shop for a pack I don't ask how light it is but how light it will make the contents feel. Leaning toward a Macpac for my next purchase. (Keeping the dollars in the southern hemisphere, even if we can't keep 'em in Oz.)

Cheers all

Rob

Rob, I never felt the Zpack being heavy on my back. It fit perfectly and carried the load perfectly. Good luck. Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Our German friends are instantly recognizable with Jack Wolfskin head to toe and Deuter backpacks. I prefer the Vaude brand since they are much lighter when empty. A note of caution, I am a Pilgrim Packrat, collecting maps, ticket stubs, memorable dinner receipts, brochures, business cards, information pamphlets, books, and postcards from the moment I hit the Camino. Mementos gratefully and respectably preserved in albums at home. These add weight p-l-u-s volume so if you are one of the clan, add another 5 liters to your backpack size for souvenirs.

I'll check out Zpack and Aarn, (enough 'a's there?). Trouble is my old Kathmandu won't fall apart, though it earns me so many of those "another-Aussie" eyerolls. It's gone every inch from Le Puy to Portugal and part-way back. Plus this old bloke at a well on the meseta tied a tiny Marian medal to a back zip and told me it would be there forever. I didn't give that flimsy bit of cotton a day, but three years later...

Any holy medal experts know if I can transfer to a new pack? And would stronger cotton be cheating?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Mine was a Lowe Alpine 55+15 liters. Fully packed it was 14,5 kilograms.
Heavy? No,... until I tried another pelgrims backpack with only 7 kilograms. From that moment on mine was too heavy.
So it is not a backpack but a "in your head pack" ;-)

. . . is the one that fits you!
That said, I love Osprey packs, Lowe Alpine and Gossamer Gear.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi.
Regards
Prilia
Hi there,
I walked June 2014 with the Osprey Sirrus 36 litre - it was a very good choice firstly because it is designed for the female frame , so padding on hips, shoulder straps and positioning of chest strap are well placed. (They also have the male equivalent). It has a suspended frame? - anyway good for ventilation. Was tempted to go to the Osprey Tallon (slightly larger) and the guy in the camping shop was adamant that the frame on that particular backpack would not be best.
Best advice:
1. go to more than one shops, tell them which walk you are doing and what time of year.
2. use the advice from the first shop to add to your questions at the next shop - and so on... until you feel comfortable that you have the knowledge
3. decide on your shop - make a time when you know they are not busy (and even with a preferred salesperson) and get THEM to fit you and show you how to make minute adjustments with weight in pack - including the obvious - how best to put your back on
4. if you are not price sensitive - then always go to the people that help you most, you will both be rewarded.

Hope this helps as I was also a first timer and had never even contemplated a time when a backpack would get near my shoulders :) - let alone boots on my feet (I walked in New Balance runners)
Last thing. I loved my pack it was so light! BUT it was a tiny bit small and was a struggle to get food in - as another member has posted. If I walk again ( hoping for the Portuguese next year) I will got for a slightly larger pack.
I hope you walk is everything you dream of.
Viv

I just got back from my second trip with the z pack arc blast. Best pack ever. If I find some time I'll do a full write up, but I think there is nothing out there as light with a full frame and full air circulation on your back. It weighs less than half of what most packs weigh in at, and is waterproof so you don't need a cover.

Hi there,
I walked June 2014 with the Osprey Sirrus 36 litre - it was a very good choice firstly because it is designed for the female frame , so padding on hips, shoulder straps and positioning of chest strap are well placed. (They also have the male equivalent). It has a suspended frame? - anyway good for ventilation. Was tempted to go to the Osprey Tallon (slightly larger) and the guy in the camping shop was adamant that the frame on that particular backpack would not be best.
Best advice:
1. go to more than one shops, tell them which walk you are doing and what time of year.
2. use the advice from the first shop to add to your questions at the next shop - and so on... until you feel comfortable that you have the knowledge
3. decide on your shop - make a time when you know they are not busy (and even with a preferred salesperson) and get THEM to fit you and show you how to make minute adjustments with weight in pack - including the obvious - how best to put your back on
4. if you are not price sensitive - then always go to the people that help you most, you will both be rewarded.

Hope this helps as I was also a first timer and had never even contemplated a time when a backpack would get near my shoulders :) - let alone boots on my feet (I walked in New Balance runners)
Last thing. I loved my pack it was so light! BUT it was a tiny bit small and was a struggle to get food in - as another member has posted. If I walk again ( hoping for the Portuguese next year) I will got for a slightly larger pack.
I hope you walk is everything you dream of.
Viv

Hi Viv.
I used the Osprey Tempest 40 L this last March and found it to be a good size. It has top and bottom loading and weighs 2lbs 1 oz. I'm 5' 5" and average build and it fit perfect on me. Might just be the size you are looking for :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@cecelia it is worth taking time to watch all the instruction videos for fitting these packs - there are quite a few on the Aarn NZ website. Initially it is tedious (and the videos are very "home made"). It makes a big difference if you can understand how all the adjustments work. If you are having trouble trawl through the whole Aarn NZ site. I recently tried to help someone and it wasn't 'til later I found the relevant video under a different model. Also, make sure you get the correct back length if the pack has two lengths - the salesmen assume if you are a woman and not very tall (like me) that you need a short backlength - whereas that's not necessarily right. A short length on a long back can be very uncomfortable. Measure your backlength according to the method on the Aarn website. I'm definitely a "long" backlength; I must have short legs.

But once you get it all fitting - fantastic.

newfydog and Nancy P - did you get any of the extra pouches or other accesories on your arc blast packs?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.