• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best gadget for the Camino!

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
I have just returned from chapter two of our Camino. Chapter one was St Jean to Estella in May 2016, and then we walked from Estella to Carrion De Condes in October. (flew home on 3rd Nov).

I became known as inspector gadget by our Camino family as I took a few toys along with me that made our Camino very enjoyable.

• Polaroid Zip [/B]- this is a mini printer, which is slightly smaller than my iPhone. It prints mini photos onto to self-adhesive paper, which I then placed in a journal. It became the talk of the Camino as everyone wanted to be "in the book". Not everyone wants their photo on Facebook, and having a printer on-route brought people together. There was one lady who did not speak a word of English or Spanish, but when she saw my book she made a cry of joy as she saw the picture of the man with the donkey that she had also seen a few days ago.
  • Bluetooth Mini Cube Speaker[/B] - so many people are "plugged in" on the Camino. They take their earphones and spend hours just in their own little world. I purchased a mini cube speaker, which is tiny, but it gave such joy to everyone. We had one day where our group shared their own music by my speaker and we danced the whole 15 miles together. We played everything from Garth Brooks, to the Carpenters. Everyone had something different on their phones and we took it in turns to hook up to the speaker. I MUST STRESS THAT WE WALKED IN NOVEMBER, THE CAMINO WAS QUIET, AND WE NEVER USED THE SPEAKER WHEN OTHERS WERE AROUND. I RESPECT THAT OTHER PEOPLE VALUE THE PEACE AND QUIET AND I AM THE LAST PERSON TO SPOIL THAT.
  • Light up paws - I am a keen nordic walker, and I use these paws on the end of my poles that light up in the dark. They were awesome in the early hours when it was pitch black outside.
  • A lightbulb tent light [/B]- both my daughter and I had our camping lightbulbs attached to our rucksacks to keep us safe in the dark mornings. The lights also came in handy when getting ready in the morning, or writing up my journal in the evenings. They are not as bright as head torches, but they do the job well. I bought mine from Aldi, but you can also get them on Amazon.
Did you have any gadgets that you took on your Camino that really made a difference to your trip?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Did you have any gadgets that you took on your Camino that really made a difference to your trip?

I love Mumford and Sons...."I'll walk slow...."

After having my iPhone die at the most inconvenient times, I bought a back up battery case. It's heavier than I would like and pricey, but paid for itself a million times over one day when I needed GPS and realized I had forgotten to charge my phone the night before.

And..do you have a photo of the light up paws???

I love my Kindle and Ipod.... Reading and music along the way!

Although I Love music on the Camino, I'd like to take the opportunity on this thread to ask people NOT to bring their Bluetooth speakers as a personal gadget!

One thing is one's own choice of using earphones/headsets and listen to one's own music. Another thing is everyone walking around with bluetooth speakers playing what they like. Even if you consider yourself to have the best taste for music; we cannot please everyone.... This is just impossible.

Can you imagine if one out of every 10 pilgrims walk by with music on speakers??

Keep your music to yourself when on the camino please!

:):D:rolleyes:

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Interesting gadgets! Thanks for sharing.

Having said that, I found that I was irritated with those who played their music on speakers. It felt intrusive. Although I loved walking with people and sharing conversation and stories, I also loved the solitude of walking with nature sounds like birdsong. Even the cuckoo!

Ultreia,
Priscilla

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Other than my phone, Kindle, and a corkscrew ;), I don't think I took any gadgets. I walked in June, so light wasn't an issue - the sun was up before me everyday. I didn't even take a head lamp, just a small flashlight which I pretty much just used to make sure nothing got lost under the bed. Oh wait, I did take my iPod, but only listened to it once - and that was because someone else had music on a speaker and I didn't want to listen - LOL. I'm not one to listen to music when I walk normally though.

One of my most amusing memories was whilst I was walking between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega through the forested stretch. Behind me I heard music which grew steadily louder and the source soon appeared. The leader of three men was carrying a very loud ghetto blaster playing marching music. The three of them were marching one behind the other very closely and in step, and I stood aside to let them pass and get out of hearing, thinking that it was very inappropriate on the Camino. After they passed me and were about 300 metres ahead the leader stumbled and fell and the two behind couldn't stop and fell on top of him. Result was a tangled mess of bodies and a smashed ghetto blaster, but no injuries except their embarrassment. Was I mean when I walked past with a big grin on my face.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Bluetooth speakers? !!! Really!!!! May be tempted to bring my bagpipes.......:rolleyes::rolleyes: Just in case;)
actually, unlike the speakers, I would enjoy hearing bagpipes...and I suspect there would be a limit on how long you would last playing while walking...unlike the #)^)$ speakers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have just returned from chapter two of our Camino. Chapter one was St Jean to Estella in May 2016, and then we walked from Estella to Carrion De Condes in October. (flew home on 3rd Nov).

I became known as inspector gadget by our Camino family as I took a few toys along with me that made our Camino very enjoyable.

• Polaroid Zip [/B]- this is a mini printer, which is slightly smaller than my iPhone. It prints mini photos onto to self-adhesive paper, which I then placed in a journal. It became the talk of the Camino as everyone wanted to be "in the book". Not everyone wants their photo on Facebook, and having a printer on-route brought people together. There was one lady who did not speak a word of English or Spanish, but when she saw my book she made a cry of joy as she saw the picture of the man with the donkey that she had also seen a few days ago.
  • Bluetooth Mini Cube Speaker[/B] - so many people are "plugged in" on the Camino. They take their earphones and spend hours just in their own little world. I purchased a mini cube speaker, which is tiny, but it gave such joy to everyone. We had one day where our group shared their own music by my speaker and we danced the whole 15 miles together. We played everything from Garth Brooks, to the Carpenters. Everyone had something different on their phones and we took it in turns to hook up to the speaker.
  • Light up paws - I am a keen nordic walker, and I use these paws on the end of my poles that light up in the dark. They were awesome in the early hours when it was pitch black outside.
  • A lightbulb tent light [/B]- both my daughter and I had our camping lightbulbs attached to our rucksacks to keep us safe in the dark mornings. The lights also came in handy when getting ready in the morning, or writing up my journal in the evenings. They are not as bright as head torches, but they do the job well. I bought mine from Aldi, but you can also get them on Amazon.

We walked the Camino Frances this past July/Aug and found our hands free trekking umbrellas to be absolutely crucial. "It's the smart Canadians!" They were perfect for providing shade in the Mesita and cover in the rain...no need for a hot poncho!
We ordered ours through Euroshirm but Ivar now carries this nifty gadget to protect you from the elements.
Wouldn't walk again without it!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bluetooth speakers? !!! Really!!!! May be tempted to bring my bagpipes.......:rolleyes::rolleyes: Just in case;)

I only used the mini speaker when it was just our Camino family walking - no-one else was around (November is fairly quiet). We shared the speaker and had a few songs from everyone's phones. We listened to everything from classical music to cheesy pop. It was not loud, just loud enough for everyone in our small group to have a sing along.
x

Bluetooth speakers?
Shuddering...
Not everyone wants music on the Camino, yours or otherwise.
Please if you're tempted...keep it to yourself.
Or better yet wean yourself from the need of incessant stimulation altogether and learn to rest in silence.

I completely understand this, and we only used the speaker when we were walking with our Camino family. We walked in November and it was very quiet, and each person paired their phone at different times of the walk - so we had a sing song together as we approached a village etc. I would respect others wishes and I usually had my earphones in, but it was nice to sing together on occassion.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
One of my most amusing memories was whilst I was walking between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega through the forested stretch. Behind me I heard music which grew steadily louder and the source soon appeared. The leader of three men was carrying a very loud ghetto blaster playing marching music. The three of them were marching one behind the other very closely and in step, and I stood aside to let them pass and get out of hearing, thinking that it was very inappropriate on the Camino. After they passed me and were about 300 metres ahead the leader stumbled and fell and the two behind couldn't stop and fell on top of him. Result was a tangled mess of bodies and a smashed ghetto blaster, but no injuries except their embarrassment. Was I mean when I walked past with a big grin on my face.

The Camino provides :)

We walked the Camino Frances this past July/Aug and found our hands free trekking umbrellas to be absolutely crucial. "It's the smart Canadians!" They were perfect for providing shade in the Mesita and cover in the rain...no need for a hot poncho!
We ordered ours through Euroshirm but Ivar now carries this nifty gadget to protect you from the elements.
Wouldn't walk again without it!
Totally agree! I debated bringing the umbrella, because it was the heaviest single item of equipment that I had, but it was soooo wonderful on the Meseta! If someone had a little stand selling these gems along the way they would make a fortune! I loved being shaded and not having to wear a hat, because they just make me feel hotter.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I bring a mini leatherman multi tool that has scissors, two blades, pliers, corkscrew, awl and can be leveraged to open bottles. It's also extremely quiet during operation.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dual USB European plug and a hanging toilettry bag with different size transparent pockets. You get to the albergue, hang it to your bunk, and voila, you see all the meds and toilletries you may need plus sewing kit, ear plga, etc. No need to keep goong through your backpack serching for stuff. Also a nylon grocery bag that folds up the size of a golf ball: perfect for running errands in the evening while carrying Mini Ipad, money, etc.

I used my cell phone to take photos, so my external hard drive (Sandisk) was a lifesaver. It connected to my cell phone wirelessly which allowed me to dump my photos onto it daily.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DR8LAE2/?tag=casaivar02-20

Another cell phone related gadget was my Mophie. It is basically a cell phone case, but it is also a charger. It charged my phone back up to 100% which was nice when there is no guarantee you will have a place to charge your phone overnight. There were a few days that my cell phone practically drained completely - I was able to power it back up with just a switch. (I have an Iphone, and even their sales rep recommended a Mophie over their product because you can control when the phone charges.)
http://www.mophie.com/shop/iphone-6/juice-pack-air-iphone-6?a92=12

I also brought a packable backpack. I used it within my pack to keep my food separate from everything else. I also used it as a shopping bag when I went to get groceries. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TEIVUQW/?tag=casaivar02-20

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh, and "Gear Ties". Good for hanging shoes from backpack, but I use them to tie my other gadget, a nylon zipped bag in which I keep eyeglasses and valuable items at night, tied to the bed, by my head.

Weight is a major concern for me. My gadgets have to be really light.
  • Apple Camera Connection Kit SD card reader: My DSLR was my one extravagance. I need a way to get images to my iPhone for sharing back home. This SD card reader from Apple is fast and lightweight. When I walked, the iPhone didn't support the SD card reader, so I had to take a SanDisk wireless media drive for this purpose. Now I would just take the card reader. It is lighter and doesn't need a battery.
  • Keychain LED light: This replaced a headlamp for me and was also great for early mornings and after lights out in the alburques.
  • Multi plug power unit with USB ports: This extended the limited number of power outlets in the alburques. This was the heaviest of my gadgets, and unfortunately, I left it behind a couple weeks in. So clearly, I didn't absolutely need it, but I would bring it again, and this time, I'd remember to pack it up when leaving the alburgue.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.