• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

The best hiking trousers...

Hikingrose

Time of past OR future Camino
I plan to do my first Camino the last week of May and June 2018
Ladies, can you please recommend to me the best hiking trousers. I’m having trouble finding the most user friendly trousers... I want convertible, zip off above the knee with a few pockets and zip at the ankle too in a quick drying material. It’s the ankle zip that seems hard to find...but what’s the point in having convertible trousers if you ha e to take off your shoes every time! ?
Any recommendations greatly appreciated! Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Check REI, Royal Robbins, Columbia, and Orvis - their specific offerings will vary from season to season and year to year. You also might consider some alternative designs to meet your requirement of temperature-adaptability, such as the roll-up to capri-length styles now available.

Ladies, can you please recommend to me the best hiking trousers. I’m having trouble finding the most user friendly trousers... I want convertible, zip off above the knee with a few pockets and zip at the ankle too in a quick drying material. It’s the ankle zip that seems hard to find...but what’s the point in having convertible trousers if you ha e to take off your shoes every time! ?
REI makes a zip off that does not require you to remove your shoes-though they fit a little baggy.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hmmm....so many good ones out there from different brands.
Not saying there are better brands out there, but I like ones made by Columbia and Marmot and Kuhl.
What brands are available to you?
I like the type made from a high percentage of nylon/polyester and about 5-10% spandex for some stretch. They dry very quickly.

Hello Rose,

Not sure your location but honestly, I found some zip off pants in the men's section of Mark's Work Werarhouse in Canada. They are lightweight, quick drying and have the pockets everywhere, as long as you do not mind the man fly in front. They came with a belt as well. Lordy, they are on sale now too;

https://www.marks.com/en/windriver-zip-off-pants-with-stretch-102401.html#102401[color]=LTKHAK

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I may be a guy... but try Craghoppers (quickdry material - Basecamp - not nosilife). Same material and look as with the girls version. They tick all the boxes, last a lifetime, and feel fabulous. After hiking for 30 years I have to say they are my fave thus far.

All the gear I use is from Rohan who make quality clothing for men and women. A British retailer with online store too. The escapers trousers are really light, comfortable and durable. The clothing is more expensive but lasts much longer than Decathlon etc.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a pair of convertibles by Prana that have wider leg openings so boot removal (even with my ladies size 12 boots) isn’t necessary. They come in Short, Regular and Tall lengths for women of most heights. They have a side pocket on the right thigh that’s perfect for a phone or other valuables. I also like the Prana Helle pant (non-zip off) that I’ve worn on 2 of 3 Caminos.

Zip off are useless I find. At the end of a day of walking pants pong and need washing anyway. I walk in shorts only, ever. If really cold I take a pair of silk leggings I can wear under the shorts or in evening or as pj pants if cold at night. Only used these when high up mountain in Switzerland.
I tend to take a pair of 3/4 lightweight pants or a Macabi skirt, either of which could be used to walk in if needed. That's me covered for eventualities.

Last edited:
REI Sahara are awesome. They last forever.
I used to like the REI Sahara zip=offs and they were great, but they have changed them and the new ones are very baggy and I am now looking for a different brand.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Rose,

Not sure your location but honestly, I found some zip off pants in the men's section of Mark's Work Werarhouse in Canada. They are lightweight, quick drying and have the pockets everywhere, as long as you do not mind the man fly in front. They came with a belt as well. Lordy, they are on sale now too;

https://www.marks.com/en/windriver-zip-off-pants-with-stretch-102401.html#102401[color]=LTKHAK
OMG!! I have the same pants, i bought them 10 years ago, I love the big pockets where i carry wallet, phone passport and credential, I really do not care if they are baggy and the fly, the fabric is excellent, fast drying have taken them to ALL MY CAMINOS , and already pack for my new adventure next week

THANKS all for your suggestions! I’m in Europe (France) so any US brands won’t deliver unfortunately. Have looked into several (craghoppers Columbia...will try Rohan now!) it’s just finding a retailer here because I want to try them on first !

I may be a guy... but try Craghoppers (quickdry material - Basecamp - not nosilife). Same material and look as with the girls version. They tick all the boxes, last a lifetime, and feel fabulous. After hiking for 30 years I have to say they are my fave thus far.
I saw these - the nosilife ones but why do you not recommend them? Is the basecamp pair better material?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
THANKS all for your suggestions! I’m in Europe (France) so any US brands won’t deliver unfortunately. Have looked into several (craghoppers Columbia...will try Rohan now!) it’s just finding a retailer here because I want to try them on first !
Mark's Work Wearhouse is in CANADA. They are usually a bit easier on international shipping. Give it a try.

After a discussion with Mark's Head Office, they do not ship outside Canada. Sorry for that. I told them that they are missing out on a lot of sales. Customer Service does not care.

Last edited:
@Hikingrose , hi

You tell of an issue of having to take off your shoes to take off the leggings.

Thinking outside the square I suggest you consider:
a) a casual kilt - several layers all round with in built ventilation
coupled with:
b) knee height walking hose over inner ankle socks

This has been my nether garb for about 3 years both walking and travelling.

Kia kaha (take care, be strong, get going)

if you are already in France go to Decathlon , they have several brands there, Rohan is very expensive and the fwomen's fit is horrible.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Shopped for convertible hiking pants at REI. Bought their Sahara pants in the men's department because those pants had better/deeper pockets. They are very light weight.

if you are already in France go to Decathlon , they have several brands there, Rohan is very expensive and the fwomen's fit is horrible.
Thanks but have already been to decathlon and all other nearby places including a few in Budapest because I’m here for a week! I can’t find ANY with the ankle zips!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
All the gear I use is from Rohan who make quality clothing for men and women. A British retailer with online store too. The escapers trousers are really light, comfortable and durable. The clothing is more expensive but lasts much longer than Decathlon etc.
The latest Rohan zip-offs are impregnated with insecticide :mad:. Also I need to buy the Mens now as the more recent Womens ones are too low in the waist. I wish they would bring back their high-waist trousers.
I agree that the Escapers are great, but they don't zip-off, which I think the OP really wants.
My latest zip-offs are once again from Marks and Spencer (Mens - Blue Harbour) as they don't make the same for ladies.

if you are already in France go to Decathlon , they have several brands there, Rohan is very expensive and the women's fit is horrible.
Trousers, yes I have to agree, as above. However I find the ladies shirts fit well although again they have put insecticide in some and are more for travel these days than hiking/walking. Expensive, yes; but my 'Walkers' shirts are now nearly 10 years old and 2 are now showing sign of wear. I turned the collar on one and it should do this year again :).

The latest Rohan zip-offs are impregnated with insecticide :mad:. Also I need to buy the Mens now as the more recent Womens ones are too low in the waist. I wish they would bring back their high-waist trousers.
I agree that the Escapers are great, but they don't zip-off, which I think the OP really wants.
My latest zip-offs are once again from Marks and Spencer (Mens - Blue Harbour) as they don't make the same for ladies.

Trousers, yes I have to agree, as above. However I find the ladies shirts fit well although again they have put insecticide in some and are more for travel these days than hiking/walking. Expensive, yes; but my 'Walkers' shirts are now nearly 10 years old and 2 are now showing sign of wear. I turned the collar on one and it should do this year again :).
Dear Tia Valeria, there are many perhaps who cannot have heard of 'turning a collar' ! Glad to see that good old fashioned repairs still happen!

I have Icepeak with two zippers (below and above knee) and they work fine with me. Good pockets, light and quick drying. Sometimes I just leave the lower part on top of the boots until I want to take a rest. And I always take of my shoes when resting.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well I’m not a lady but let me just pitch my two cents, I don’t care what I look like on the trail so The last two Caminos and plenty of local hikes I opt for Tights and I carry a Patagonia Houdini pants, works great for me

Zzotte

I had Columbia they were great

I saw these - the nosilife ones but why do you not recommend them? Is the basecamp pair better material?
I love my nosilife craghoppers! But I don’t have a convertible pair since i prefer having the long pant and not having to deal with sunscreen.

I like Columbia “Saturday Trail” pants but they aren’t zip-off at ankles. Personally I do everything I can to avoid clothing with extra zippers. Zippers weigh more. Also, when you sit to take off the bottom part of your pant legs, it’s a great time to remove your boots/shoes and check your feet.

It’s just that comfort was a factor, Nosilife is slippery and kinda unnatural, whereas Basecamp (solar dry material) is a blend that is much more natural, and after a few hundred kilometres feels great, maintains a soft feeling. Dunno, I just like it much more, and I’ve tried them both.

ExOficio are the beat Tengo 3 hice el Camino en el 2016

Wife and I got ours from Amazon and have worn them on two Camino's and will on our third.. Saved a lot of money and clothing weight by doing this.

I have a pair of convertibles by Prana that have wider leg openings so boot removal (even with my ladies size 12 boots) isn’t necessary. They come in Short, Regular and Tall lengths for women of most heights. They have a side pocket on the right thigh that’s perfect for a phone or other valuables. I also like the Prana Helle pant (non-zip off) that I’ve worn on 2 of 3 Caminos.

I have the same Prana convertibles, and I also love them. But I'm not taking them on Camino. I weighed them, and then I weighed my boy-shorts, capris, and rain resistant travel pants. The 3 pairs weigh less than the cargo pants. I think the weight in the pants comes from grommets and zippers, etc.

So what I do is put on as many layers in the morning as I need, and then remove them as the day goes on. All these layers come from Lolë Women's wear. The rain-resistant travel pants have an elastic ankle drawstring and are wide enough when uncinched to go over boots; they are nice enough looking for dinners out in the villages at the end of the day.

If you don't yet know the Lolë brand (it's Canadian), check them out. They are very easy to purchase from online, and the sale prices are very good. The clothing is extremely durable, and many of their shells and water-resistant gear is made from very durable, recycled materials. For reference: I'm 5'4" and 135 pounds and wear a size S most of the time in their stuff. At the end of Camino I will be an XS in pants and dresses, but still S in tops. For my very favourite things, I generally have 2 sizes in my closet.

I still wear my convertible trousers, but only at home.

In 2017 I bought a pair of chocolate-bar-brown, zip-off, trekking trousers in Sarria -- from the peregrino store at the bottom of the infamous escalera..... Brand name was Trangworld. There was no "Made in...." tag, but I recall being told that they were made in Spain.... I was very pleased with them, and used them again on my 2018 walk.

Unlike you, because I'm a bit older and a tad modest, I looked for zip offs that would result in a longer pr of shorts and never found them. I ended up, on one camino, buying roll-up pants and had a seamstress move the tab and button up the leg from a rolled up capri position to a rolled up shorts position...worked well, never removed shoes, no bulky zippers on knees to fool with or pant legs to lose track of. Just a suggestion... and I think you'll find the roll up pants to be much less expensive. In all my following Camino's I simply brought lightweight shorts, a pr of leggings and a pr of pants. Good luck in your search.

I used to like the REI Sahara zip=offs and they were great, but they have changed them and the new ones are very baggy and I am now looking for a different brand.

Meanwhile, the new women's version of the Sahara pants and shorts have a new "slimmer fit" because - as we all know - it is more important for women to look slender than it is to have clothing that actually works for hiking and travel.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@Tia Valeria
Quote, re Rohan: “Trousers, yes I have to agree, as above.”

Roamers are the exception .... 4 way stretch and really comfortable :)
Striders are also a good fit .... at least they are for me, and I like the adjustable waist.
All my Bags are men’s ... from the 80s!

(I’m not sure who, or what, Rohan use as a model for most of their women’s trouser measurements :eek: )

Meanwhile, the new women's version of the Sahara pants and shorts have a new "slimmer fit" because - as we all know - it is more important for women to look slender than it is to have clothing that actually works for hiking and travel.[/QUOTE

REI Sahara convertibles or Kuhl Renegade convertibles are perfect. Purchase pants made for men if you want pants that function well and have terrific-sized pockets.

Took 2 pairs of REI Sahara Converibles for April/May Camino Frances. Loved them! Zipped off easily with zips so did not need to remove boots. Roomy fit, but comfortable enough walking and able to get pair of silk underwear underneath as well if additional warmth during day or night needed. Easy and quick dry to launder too. Had built in belt to cinch as lost weight along the way. Held up well, and still my go-to pants for local outdoor activities.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.